Johnston Murphy vs. Cole Haan vs. Kenneth Cole (Shoes)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by gilwood, Jan 12, 2009.

1. gilwood

gilwood Senior member

I know you guys don't like any of these 3 brands in shoes, but I was wondering if you guys would rate them in order of quality. Personally, I would say Johnston Murphy (6/10) >> Cole Haan (5/10) >> Kenneth Cole (3/10).

2. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

I saw some of the Cole Haan top-line shoes this weekend. Total crap-o-rama. But better than KCs, yes.

3. KaiserSose

KaiserSose Senior member

I have read on here that Cole Haan used to be better regarded. Did someone acquire them recently?

I ask because I have two pairs of Cole Haan shoes that I've "thrifted" that have beautiful leather and very good construction.

4. awxg

awxg Senior member

I know you guys don't like any of these 3 brands in shoes, but I was wondering if you guys would rate them in order of quality. Personally, I would say Johnston Murphy (6/10) >> Cole Haan (5/10) >> Kenneth Cole (3/10).

J&M used to make some really nice looking stuff back then and I kind of like this one from them. But if I had to rate them, it would be similar to yours.

http://www.johnstonmurphy.com/produc...2495&VID=62495

5. JordanH.

JordanH. Senior member

i think Nike bought them some years back

6. ManofKent

ManofKent Senior member

I have read on here that Cole Haan used to be better regarded. Did someone acquire them recently?

I ask because I have two pairs of Cole Haan shoes that I've "thrifted" that have beautiful leather and very good construction.

Yes some of the older Cole Haan's used to be made by Cheaney one of the under-rated UK makers.

7. phillyesq

phillyesq Senior member

i think Nike bought them some years back

You are correct -- Nike did purchase Cole Haan.

J&M gets no love on this forum, but I don't think that they're as bad as people say they are. If you're on a budget and looking for a dependable pair of dress shoes, J&M is a good option, IMO. They are certainly more conservative and even a bit clunky, but they do fine in a professional setting, and they will last forever. Depending on the level of shoe, I think the quality is solid but unspectacular. Not nearly as nice as AE, let alone the higher level brands, but solid.

I would rate J&M above Cole Haan and Kenneth Cole.

8. Spatlese

Spatlese Senior member

I saw some of the Cole Haan top-line shoes this weekend. Total crap-o-rama. But better than KCs, yes.

+1 and +1

9. Lucky7

Lucky7 Senior member

I would say Cole Haan, Johnston Murphy, & then in 1,246,876th place Kenneth Square Toe Cole

10. porcelain monkey

porcelain monkey Senior member

Many years ago, before I knew about such things, I bought three pairs of Cole Haan shoes and felt quite pleased with myself. In a matter of weeks, two of them began to fall apart. I returned all three and have not set foot in a Cole Haan store since.

11. awxg

awxg Senior member

I would say Cole Haan, Johnston Murphy, & then in 1,246,876th place Kenneth Square Toe Cole

I believe that would be Aldo's place.

12. Lucky7

Lucky7 Senior member

I believe that would be Aldo's place.

Wait, you mean aldo doesn't make nice shoes? That was meant to be facetious..for all those who read that and couldn't get to the reply button quick enough to rip me a new asshole.

13. HomerJ

HomerJ Senior member

Wait, you mean aldo doesn't make nice shoes? That was meant to be facetious..for all those who read that and couldn't get to the reply button quick enough to rip me a new asshole.
    [​IMG] Last time I browsed Aldo (couple of years ago) it looked very poor. I bought 2 pairs of J&M several years ago for $150 each. One was pleather and not so good but the other full grain shoe aged well. It has a nice patina and I still wear it casually. I found I can buy AE's for that kind of money so I wouldn't do it again though.

14. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

Do you hurt me becuase you love me [​IMG]

What do you mean the top line, The Trafton and stuff?

15. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

Yes, it was the Trafton I looked at; I was too lazy to recall the name. The broguing is stupidly oversized in real life, the leather looked plastic and the shoe was suspiciously light in the hand. I still like the last though.