1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Johnston & Murphy - shoe opinions

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by NYCniceguy, Mar 31, 2006.

1. NYCniceguy

NYCniceguy Well-Known Member

I am looking for some business casual shoes to wear with slacks to work and don't want to shell out $400-450 for Prada/Ferragamo/Gucci. Been browsing discount stores and saw a few Johnston & Murphy pairs for $100, made in Italy. What are people's opinions on these, and what other brands and stores in NYC should I consider? I'd like to stay under $300.

2. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

I have a pair of leather soled split toe Johnston & Murphys that might be kind of casual. A lot of people will say that the construction of J&Ms isn't what it used to be or whatever, but to be honest with you, this is my favorite pair of shoes. I prefer them over the two pairs of Allen-Edmons that I have including a pair of Shell Corodovan MacNeils. They are very comfortable, and quite nice looking in my opinion. I would not hesitate to buy J&Ms again.

3. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

i have 2 pairs of j&m's one i bought 7 years ago, a simple black lace-up and the other one was a cordovan buckled mid-cut boot in brown. the latest one has been relegated to "rain wear" because of the less-than-ideal quality that i now realize they have. good thing i bought it on sale.

4. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I was very unimpressed with the quality and durability of a pair of J&Ms I bought for my stepson a few years ago. Not in the same street with A-E these days, IMO.

Now, the old Johnston & Murphys were something else again. They made some very fine shoes in the not too distant past before they went offshore, by all accounts.

5. NYCniceguy

NYCniceguy Well-Known Member

Since when is Italy considered offshore in a bad way?

6. DocHolliday

DocHolliday Senior member Dubiously Honored

One of J&Ms greatest problems is that they pale in comparison with Allen-Edmonds, which can be had regularly for $100-$150. You'd be much better off with AEs at this price point. AEs leather quality is much nicer, and the shoes are much better-made overall.

That said, I think J&Ms, even now, are at least as nice as some fashion shoes that are significantly more expensive. Just don't expect great things. I have a pair of brown J&M captoes that are very comfortable, but they're just not aging in a very attractive fashion. I certainly won't have them in 20 years. But for a beater shoe, they're great. (I think I paid $50 for mine, and I'd suggest you try to get a similar bargain.)

7. Pennglock

Pennglock Senior member

As has been said, why bother when you can have Allen Edmonds for $50 more?

Question for DocHolliday: Where are you getting AEs for 100-150??

8. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Well, for me, for example, a size 11E in most Allen Edmonds models is a little bit too tight, and a size 11 EEE is a little bit too big (there is no size 11 EE), whereas Johnston & Murphy size 11W fits me perfectly.

9. DocHolliday

Some discontinued models sell on eBay for less than $100 new. Nordstrom Rack often has a decent selection for $120-$140.

10. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

I'm not doc, but there are always brand new AE's available for 100-150 on ebay. Sometimes even less.

See Ebay item 7754812871, 7754754828, 7755410259, 7754032977, for example. All completed items that sold (or in one case, didn't sell) that closed below $150.

Now, if you want something specific, it might take a while. It took me 4 years to find a pair of brand new Garners at my price (below $100), but it happened.

11. DocHolliday

I'm not doc, but there are always brand new AE's available for 100-150 on ebay. Sometimes even less.

See Ebay item 7754812871, 7754754828, 7755410259, 7754032977, for example. All completed items that sold (or in one case, didn't sell) that closed below $150.

Now, if you want something specific, it might take a while. It took me 4 years to find a pair of brand new Garners at my price (below $100), but it happened.

I sold a pair of new AEs that went for a whopping $65. Ouch.

12. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

I sold a pair of new AEs that went for a whopping $65. Ouch.

Try using the fixed priced thing, and only list during the 10 cent listing specials (to minimize the listing fee hit if it doesn't sell). consider using the "best offer" option (although you have to deal with the jokers that send in $5 offers for $300 retail items)...

that's what i do for brand new AE's (and shoes). about 33% of my stuff sells, and there are always some people who will make a deal after the listing ends unsold.

13. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

It also helps if you stay with normal sizes and widths (9 to 11, D or E). That's where most of the market is.

14. DocHolliday

It also helps if you stay with normal sizes and widths (9 to 11, D or E). That's where most of the market is.

These were 9Ds. I had hoped starting low would drive up the price. At one point, I had close to 30 watchers... but only about four ended up bidding.

15. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

These were 9Ds. I had hoped starting low would drive up the price. At one point, I had close to 30 watchers... but only about four ended up bidding.

i think 9D is the standard sample/display size. so you might have a slight over-supply problem.