Johnston & Murphy - how long have they been bad?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Daytona John, Aug 14, 2007.

1. Daytona John

Daytona John Active Member

My general perception from the online sartorial community is that J&M shoes are to be avoided. At what point did J&M "jump the shark"? I assume a change in ownership of the company caused this? Are there any pockets of their production which still earn the respect of this community?

2. NoVaguy

NoVaguy Senior member

Since whenever they closed down their last USA factory.

3. Daytona John

Since whenever they closed down their last USA factory.

Wow...they no longer have any USA production? Made in Mexico or other 3rd world country now?

What about their "made in Italy" models? Are they any better?

4. AlSailor

AlSailor Senior member

J & M still has a U.S. factory for their Crown Aristocraft shoes, at least allegedly.

5. TCN

TCN Senior member

I thought the aristocrafts were still US made, but nothing else. Plus, re: the aristocrafts, I'd rather go with AE than J&M. Their Italian wares that I tried (and I confess that I haven't tried anything since about 2001), were really bad, even given the modest price.

Too bad, I guess J&M's used to be great shoes (from what my father tells me). Now, their products and stores are kind of cheesy and second-rate. :-(

6. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I thought the aristocrafts were still US made, but nothing else. Plus, re: the aristocrafts, I'd rather go with AE than J&M. Their Italian wares that I tried (and I confess that I haven't tried anything since about 2001), were really bad, even given the modest price.

Too bad, I guess J&M's used to be great shoes (from what my father tells me). Now, their products and stores are kind of cheesy and second-rate. :-(

It's a mall brand; I mean how good can it possibly be?

Jon.

7. Tarmac

Tarmac Senior member

I don't know the specific years, but their vintage Aristocrafts are great value. Just check if they say Aristocraft, they are welted soles, nailed heels, full grain leather. They usually sell for $50 or far less.

8. TCN

TCN Senior member

It's a mall brand; I mean how good can it possibly be?

Jon.

Hey, watch it. If it weren't for mall brands, how would we know the suit was back!?!?!?!?!

9. tonylumpkin

tonylumpkin Senior member

This pair of J&M Crown Aristocraft captoes I picked up at the thrift store last week compare favorably with any of my AEs. They are marked handcrafted in the USA so they may still be making them here or made these prior to moving production elsewhere.

http://styleforum.net/showpost.php?p...postcount=1093

10. AlSailor

AlSailor Senior member

As far as I know, Aristocrafts are not made in the U.S. anymore, only the Crown Aristocrafts are.

11. JLibourel

JLibourel Senior member

I have heard it claimed in these fora that what really "killed" J&M was the opening of the Saturn factory in 1990--that they found it almost impossible to compete for semi-skilled manufacturing labor in the area.

Some forumites have claimed that the high-end J&M shoes were better than anything A-E or Alden ever produced. I don't know if that dictum applies only to their ultra-expensive handmades or to their less pricey offerings as well.

My wife told me that her first husband considered he had really "made it" when he could afford J&M shoes. He died in 1988, shortly before J&M's decline began.

12. Daytona John

Interesting information folks - I'll keep it mind as I troll ebay. [​IMG]

13. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Hey, watch it. If it weren't for mall brands, how would we know the suit was back!?!?!?!?!

LMAO [​IMG]

Jon.

14. shoefan

shoefan Senior member

J & M still has a U.S. factory for their Crown Aristocraft shoes, at least allegedly.
    I believe these are still made in the USA, but not in a J&M plant. They closed down their last US facility in 2002 -- check the Genesco (J&M's parent) SEC filings for confirmation. I guess they are outsourcing them from either A&E (my guess), Alden or perhaps Footjoy.

15. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

When they started using Lyle Lovitt as a poster boy.