• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnston & Murphy Custom Select -- Made in the USA

JoeWoah

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Benefits of a cheap currency.

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any idea of the price range?

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I always liked some of their older US made shoes and can vouch for the comfort of their Trampoline line of shoes. It will be interesting to see if these compare to the old line quality.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Are these like those awesome handmade J&M shoes that Ken Pollock has filled his closet with? I would be interested in those ...

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
^I don't think they're that awesome. I would assume they're probably AE/Alden level with the option to designate leather color.

You'll have to go deadstock to get the Handmades.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Good find. Some of those look very nice. Be curious to hear if anyone has any experience with these.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Indicative of the disdain the forum culture has for J&M that this program is only now getting noticed. It's been available for several years. As I recall, the price when I became aware of it was somewhere around $450, which still makes it appreciably more expensive than A-E and (I think) Alden, certainly way more expensive than A-E at the prices I have been accustomed to paying for them!

My sense is that, while they are probably decent-quality shoes, they are nowhere near the same quality level as the old Handmades, that I think sold for $1,000 back when a grand went a good deal further.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
^Jan, I had thought at one time that all of the J&M manufacturing had moved offshore--had it not?

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not an expert on jm but I have seen many examples of aristocrafts labeled "made in the USA" from seemingly all kind if recent years on ebay. At charlotte airport I saw a line of trad oxfords which looked better quality than alden and retailed for. $375 and up. They did not look like a new line at all ie they had been sitting in display for years. I have been looking for a pair at discount to no avail.

Sid

Reaction score
I stopped by the J/M store in the Houston Galleria tonight. I was told $375 for the made in USA shoes, $425 for the custom.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by AlanC
^Jan, I had thought at one time that all of the J&M manufacturing had moved offshore--had it not?

No, I am pretty sure the few surviving Aristocrafts, Crown Aristocrafts and the custom models are still American-made. The vast majority of their production is offshore, however.

greekgeek

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
No, I am pretty sure the few surviving Aristocrafts, Crown Aristocrafts and the custom models are still American-made. The vast majority of their production is offshore, however.

Interesting, if true. I thought the last US factory closed up in 2002?

Side note....

I was at the J&M outlet last week and the somewhat knowledgable clerk seemed to be under the impression that they had no US factories.

I looked at the Optima and Trampoline shoes in current production. I shed a small tear at the abysmal quality and inferior leathers. Mexico and India were the sources. I was somewhat suprised, given that the early Mexican production from around 5 years ago was relatively high quality, leagues ahead of the recent garbage.

The clearance racks were pretty cool though. Interspersed with all of the recent crap were many vintage USA made aristocrafts, trampolines, and optimas (almost all were seconds). After scouring my size (10.5) all I came up with was one pair of badly faded (one shoe) kiltie slip ons. They felt great and i almost bought them as a "project" shoe. I think I could have removed the kiltie w/o scar damage but dying black would have been the only option so I left them.

Someone with a smaller foot (7.5-9.5) and a like of old J&M quality would have had a field day as their were alot in those sizes.

I ended up feeding the monkey at the AE outlet with brown smooth mora and brown/bone mcclains. Not bad at $157.50 ea. for firsts
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

Orsini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by greekgeek
...I was at the J&M outlet...
Could you tell us where that is located?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads