• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Johnny Walker Scotch- Which is the best tasting label?

PandArts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
Prole here. I like Black, and prefer it to any single malt other than Laphroig. Blends and malts both have their place.

lol8[1].gif

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had some red for the first time in a long while. Nothing wrong with it compared to the brands it competes with,

Szeph el raton

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
We once tried them all, I think the best bang for the buck is the Green Label. So my vote goes to Green.

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by culverwood
Had some red for the first time in a long while. Nothing wrong with it compared to the brands it competes with,

Straight, rocks or mixed?

Kyoung05

Reaction score
Originally Posted by narcissism
Where does the green label rank pricewise?

It ranks somewhere between Black and Gold. I usually see it for somewhere between $40-$50 (sometimes less if it's at an Asian grocery store, but I am suspicious as it its authenticity). While it's not bad for a Johnnie Walker, for that amount of money, you can find far better whiskeys. In fact, just recently at Costco, they had Lagavulin 16 for $50, which IMO, even blows Blue out of the water.

jhva3

Reaction score
Black (or Glenlivet) is what I drink at bars because all the others can be insanely priced at times and I don't usually care to ask.

I don't really care for Red, but will drink it if it is all there is available.

Green is smoother than Black and has more flavor than any of the others.

Gold is really great when served ice cold. I like to keep a bottle in my freezer and drink it neat.

I drank a bottle of Swing once. It was perfectly adequate, but I would say it is not a very good value apart from the cool bottle, which will supposedly rock back and forth if you bring it on a ship.

Blue is good too, but I agree that it is not a very good value. I recently picked up a bottle for $150, which is a great deal, but is still a little bit more than I am usually comfortable paying.

D Yizz

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhva3
Gold is really great when served ice cold. I like to keep a bottle in my freezer and drink it neat.

Exactly!!

Kyoung05

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jhva3
Black (or Glenlivet) is what I drink at bars because all the others can be insanely priced at times and I don't usually care to ask.

I don't really care for Red, but will drink it if it is all there is available.

Green is smoother than Black and has more flavor than any of the others.

I drank a bottle of Swing once. It was perfectly adequate, but I would say it is not a very good value apart from the cool bottle, which will supposedly rock back and forth if you bring it on a ship.

Blue is good too, but I agree that it is not a very good value. I recently picked up a bottle for $150, which is a great deal, but is still a little bit more than I am usually comfortable paying.

Doesn't chilling a spirit (or any drink for that matter) tend to dull the flavor? With a spirit like whiskey, why would you want to do this? I've had Gold Label served this way at a Johnnie Walker tasting, but I don't think I'd ever do this with a bottle I paid for.

D Yizz

Reaction score
Have a sip of it at room temperature and analyze the taste. Have a couple of very cold water sips and then have another GL sip. Analyze taste. You should be able to tell the difference, and it should be better the second time. I agree chilling liquors usually dull the flavor, but this is not the case with GL. Don't ask me why.

CouttsClient

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kyoung05
Doesn't chilling a spirit (or any drink for that matter) tend to dull the flavor? With a spirit like whiskey, why would you want to do this? I've had Gold Label served this way at a Johnnie Walker tasting, but I don't think I'd ever do this with a bottle I paid for.
There's a reason they served it cold at the tasting

borderline

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
The labels all pretty much taste the same to me.
Kinda papery with a hint of adhesive.

I thought the green label had a hint of mint, but that might be the power of suggestion.

jhva3

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kyoung05

I was going to include a caveat there, because I knew it would come up. This is the "official" way JW recommends to drink it. I don't usually follow such things blindly, so I have tried it both ways, but for some reason, it is better ice cold. 99% of the time though, I take my scotch warm and with a few drops of water.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads