• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JohnBull Sewing Chops

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I succumbed to the siren call of high quality, Japanese denim at a low price and what sounds, on paper, at least, to be a superb fit. I've never been a huge fan of the repros, nor of ordering completely non-refundable, non-exchangeable, stuff from Japan, but the BIG (www.blueingreensoho) site offers a great way to try on some stuff.

So I ordered a pair of JohnBull Sewing Chops SC007, (not yet on the site, I think) which apparently fits quite like the PBJ XX005, i.e. a slim true straightleg. They are (I've not gotten them yet) one wash, selvedge outseam, true straight leg (the size 30's I got are 8" at the knee and at the hem,) low rise (less that 10" on the 30's), and with higher, normal back pocket placement than the SC003. And the are just $168. I am really stoked to get these. Hopefully today, although DHL said tomorrow (sometimes, they get here quickly, and NYC and Boston are pretty close.) Anyway, Gordon (at BIG) said that the fit was terrific, and from the pics I've seen on the site and on Brian SD, I believe that. I really like the fact that a lot of the new models now available are not straight up repros.

Anyone have experience with the SC007s? Pics? Testimonials?

Also like Oliver Helden's stuff. His stuff at Oak looks good, and stuff at BIG seems like his more adventurous stuff. I've only interacted with him via email, but he seems to be a really nice guy, as well as really innovative, and I like to support that.

Saucemaster

Sized Down 2
Reaction score
I was thinking very seriously of picking up the 003's after seeing Brian's pics, but it sounds like these 007's sound like they might work even better for me. Please post pics and your impressions once they arrive!

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
cool, I'd like to see pics too. I'm interested in checking out the SC-008

WatchGuy

Reaction score
Awesome! Looking forward to hearing what you think about these jeans. I perked some interest in JBs too after Brian posted them. Amazing the power of SF.
smile.gif

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How did you know about the SC007's if BiG didn't have them on the site yet? Do you have links to pictures and information for them as well as the other SC's in the line?

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
SC007: low rise slim bootcut (looks to be perfect for slim/skinny bootcut fans)
SC008: their tightest model, tappered

sygyzy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
SC007: low rise slim bootcut (looks to be perfect for slim/skinny bootcut fans)
SC008: their tightest model, tappered

How would you describe SC002 and SC003, comparatively?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sygyzy
How did you know about the SC007's if BiG didn't have them on the site yet? Do you have links to pictures and information for them as well as the other SC's in the line?

I was looking at some other models, and Gordon of BIG said that they just got these in, and that they might fit my criteria. There are some pics on the internet. They are essentially a true straightleg. Slim, (the 30's have a 11.5x2=23 inch thigh) and lowrise (9.25/13.75 in front and back, respectively) and 8" at the knee and hem. So, sort of like a slimmer version of the GTO with a slightly lower rise (a 1/4 inch) and a straightleg throughout. They look pretty cool on the websites I saw the distressed version on.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
I was looking at some other models, and Gordon of BIG said that they just got these in, and that they might fit my criteria. There are some pics on the internet. They are essentially a true straightleg. Slim, (the 30's have a 11.5x2=23 inch thigh) and lowrise (9.25/13.75 in front and back, respectively) and 8" at the knee and hem. So, sort of like a slimmer version of the GTO with a slightly lower rise (a 1/4 inch) and a straightleg throughout. They look pretty cool on the websites I saw the distressed version on.

Interesting. I have now narrowed it down between the SC005 and the SC007 for my next denim purchase once my finances allow it.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy

Ooops, I was working from memory here but I definitely remembered SC007 as their boocut model, which one is it then?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sygyzy
LA Guy - Did your SC007's have the heavy distressing as shown here?

I haven't gotten mine yet, but they are the one wash version. The distressed version is actually much more expensive. There don't seem to be any pictures of the one wash version online, except for a small pic on the John Bull website.

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SC-005 is bootcut. Don't know if any other models are, I don't think so. Wait. I have not yet said "flarez" on trhis thread. I meant the SC-005 are flarez
peepwall[1].gif
Sounds a little strange having the distressed version more expensive; they probably factor in the extra labour required.

Brian SD

Reaction score
My assessments:

SC001 - 501 Repro fit, similar to 47
SC002 - 501 Repro fit, similar to 66
SC003 - Straight leg, low-slung, slim
SC005 - Bootcut, slim, low-rise
SC007 - Straight leg, slim, not as low-slung as 3
SC008 - Tapered, slim, low rise, but with normal back pocket placement.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics