John varvatos

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Dragonfly, Apr 9, 2002.

1. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

Hey Wuzzup guys,

I saw John Varvatos' clothing a few times at GQ and also at Barney's and JV own store..
    I was just wondering if anyone has bought any JV suits/pants and can give me opinions on them..

Thanks.

2. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Varvatos suits are great. If you are looking for a suit with a modern sihouette and modern interpretations of classic materials like flannel and tweed and moleskin, his suits are a great choice. An added bonus - flat front pants that are actually roomy and don't make you afraid of sitting down fast.
    Check out his great messenger bags and sweaters too.

3. Dragonfly

Dragonfly Member

yeah I really like JV style for suits and clothes... especially those flat front pants...
    I like how the way they're cut.. kinda roomy, straight leg.. not too constricting... definitely goin to try them..

4. thc

thc Senior member

John Varvatos usually cuts his pants with a wide leg and thus his pants are pretty roomy and comfortable. I have a couple of pairs of dress pants from him, and I have to say that the construction is impeccable. I think his stuff is really good quality. However, I've gotten a little tired of him and have found his past couple of seasons a little repetitive. He's kind of turning into Joseph Abboud in my honest opinion.

5. LA Guy

I concur with thc. I thought John Varvatos was the next big thing when he did his debut collection in 2000, but he sems to have lost a bit of momentum. His silhouette was unique then (natural, relaxed shouldered jackets and coats and full legged pants) but he hasn't taken any real risks or evolved since then. He's had some great ideas (a merino sweater with suede overseams and elbow patches, for example), and he has moved into jeanswear, which is nice, but he really needs to become less complacent if he doesn't want to become the next Joseph Abboud (good quality but intensely boring).

6. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

Or he could end up really boring, and not do anything new in 20 years, like Armani....

Sorry, LA Guy, couldn't resist that one.

And I am kidding- it's only been 4 or 5...

7. LA Guy

Steve B.

Re Armani:

I think that you have to look to the Emporio line to see any evolution lately. For example, in Emporio jackets from Fall/Winter 2000-2001 he used "stealth" styling, with lots of hidden jackets, snap buttons, hook-and-eye closures and zippers on nylon and faux-wool jackets. He dropped that idea for 2001-2002 for a military, more simple styling, and focused on military style, longer, coats. The black label stuff hasn't changed much recently, it's true. Collezioni and Mani are designed to appeal to the more conservative consumer, and A|X is trend driven and not really "Armani" in that sense. The Jeans label collections I don't follow closely, so I can't really comment.

It is true that he doesn't evolve as quickly as other designers recently, but maybe it just seems that way because his is one of the few labels that have been around since the 70's and kept their core identity. Look at his contemporaries (Calvin Klein, Donna Karan, Tonny Hilfiger, and Ralph Lauren of the Stateside designers) and see how well he has evolved in comparison.

8. LA Guy

Steve B.

Re Armani:

I think that you have to look to the Emporio line to see any evolution lately. For example, in Emporio jackets from Fall/Winter 2000-2001 he used "stealth" styling, with lots of hidden jackets, snap buttons, hook-and-eye closures and zippers on nylon and faux-wool jackets. He dropped that idea for 2001-2002 for a military, more simple styling, and focused on military style, longer, coats. The black label stuff hasn't changed much recently, it's true. Collezioni and Mani are designed to appeal to the more conservative consumer, and A|X is trend driven and not really "Armani" in that sense. The Jeans label collections I don't follow closely, so I can't really comment.

It is true that he doesn't evolve as quickly as other designers recently, but maybe it just seems that way because his is one of the few labels that have been around since the 70's and kept their core identity. Look at his contemporaries (Calvin Klein, Donna Karan, Tonny Hilfiger, and Ralph Lauren of the Stateside designers) and see how well he has evolved in comparison.

9. European Interloper

European Interloper Senior member

Giorgio Armani is argubly the king of the contemporary suit. When I say contemporary, I mean that he has not only invented the suits we all wear today, but is still at the forefront of the buisness. He has continued innovating and not remained stagnant like many of his peers in the fashion world. This season's evolution is, as was last years, subtle, but still there. I don't think that Armani will stop innovating until he leaves the buisness, as his temperment is so proactive and he really has an eye for things. Perhaps he will reinvent the suit again?
    Otherwise, I give my full support to Stockholm and Savile Row tailors, in particular Richard James. Gucci has also done a great job with its new customisable line of suits, I have two and am immensely happy with them.
    --European Interloper

10. Abe2

Abe2 Well-Known Member

I'm a huge fan of John Varvatos. It just so happens that his silhouette is just about perfect for me, but I can see it being terrible for someone else. I own two cotton t-shirts, four ties, and that orange waffle-knit sweater from two seasons ago.

11. Steve B.

Steve B. Go Spurs Go

EI/ LA Guy:

Yes, Armani invented the contemporary suit, and is greatly to be congratulated for doing so. But it hasn't changed since the early 80s...

I think this is just a preference and age thing. I'm older, and like more classic styles, that ADMIT they don't innovate.

I have it on good report that Armani just recently re-involved himself with his mens line, after "farming it out" creatively, and having it made by someone else for the last 4 years or so.
    And just to dispel the notion I'm totally against the guy- I own 2 Armani suits, and an overcoat that I love and get compliments on all the time. Plus about six ties and three pairs of chinos. They're all about 4-5 years old, though. I shop all the time, all designers, and haven't seen anything other than some striped ties I would buy in the ensuing period. Used to have some shirts too, the Made in Italy (sometimes Collezioni, sometimes not) were the softest cotton I owned before my Fray, but they shrank over time, which I consider a quality issue.

Shall we just agree to disagree, gentlemen? After all, it'd be a pretty boring world if we all liked the same thing...

12. Abe2

Abe2 Well-Known Member

Armani has been overpriced recently.

Except the Classico. That's still great stuff.

13. Patek

Patek Senior member

I have a pair of JV shoes that I bought on a trip to Atlanta as a gift to myself for completing my divorce. They have that tortured leather look and are casual shoes. I have had them for a couple of years and had them resoled once. The leather quality was great as they are still baby soft. However, the original soles wore through quite fast.

14. KenRose

KenRose Senior member

quality of the company now is much different than is was 8 years ago, which was when this thread was first created.

15. Dog Food

Dog Food New Member

Wow...talk about a resurrection. So how IS the quality now?