• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

John Varvatos - You like?

I<3Bacon

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Really? First time I've heard that from anyone.

A related question: are the collabs (both Chucks and Purcells) any more comfortable than regular Converse fares? Thanks.

I'm going to have to chime in too. Even though everyone and their mom loves these shoes, I don't like the color combos they pick and the artificial "aged white" looks horribly cheap standing 3ft away from them or closer. Also don't like the insole material... hard to explain, but it doesn't grip socks like normal JPs and causes a... slipping sensation even if the shoe fits. Also don't like the soft/limp laces these come with.

JP, my most favorite shoe ever. JVxJP... I hate you.
devil.gif

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the cbgb space was sitting around doing nothing for a long time (a year sounds right). The area is interesting in terms of development, and with the Whole Foods not too far away, and the condos coming, etc., the area with grow in terms of $ spent. It's no longer the correct place for a &quot;dive&quot; rock club/blue grass club (hahaha).

If JV prevented a bank from coming into that space, he deserves credit. The number of ******* &quot;local branches&quot; of banks reminds me of fungus/mushrooms/weeds.

The SOHO JV has a red sign on the window right now that says &quot;Sale&quot;. The usually discount things in July.

Go Surface

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For some reason, I'm drawn to these button boots:
Picture4.png
They're a little over-distressed though. And I don't like that seam detail near the sole.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
^^^ There are some sort of appeal to those boots for me when I saw them a couple of days ago, I just can't quite put my finger on it. Maybe it's the color, maybe it's the buttons? The toe just looks a bit too square for my liking.

djibouti

Reaction score
Most of the stuff is pretty boring and not worth the price that the brand name gives it. However I've got a really nice semi-sheer t-shirt of his that I wear every few days.

The shoes/boots are pretty nice too - good quality and the plainer ones have a nice look to them. Though most of the time when they try to incorporate too many details it comes off looking cheap.

If anyone is interested, I have a nice pair of Varvatos desert-boot style suede shoes that I'm looking to sell, size 10.5

http://www.mensflair.com/ns/media/ti...vatos-shoe.jpg is the style, but I can take some with my camera if you'd like, they've been worn once.

Send me a PM if interested

bruinesq

Reaction score
I have a few John Varvatos polos and a v-neck.

The material isn't much to write home about but it's not bad either. The fit is good. Is it worth the price? Obviously that's subjective, but in my opinion I think it's better than some of the other brands out there that cost around the same amount.

Soda Punk

Reaction score
Originally Posted by denimaddict
I had a pair of his chucks once. The sole fell out of the shoe, on both shoes. So quality is LESS GOOD than regular chucks.

This happened to mine as well. I was shocked, but I took them to my cobbler and he fixed them up for me.

fredfred

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The current Soho store sale is 30% off a few select items. It's not a storewide (or even close) event.

Wandered into the Bowery store (there are two new bank branch locations in the area, so the banks are there anyway. Blah.). It was afternoon - and I was the only customer in there. It's a large space.

I both loved it and hated it. It's part rock-n-roll museum, part clothing store. It's quite strange knowing you are in the CBGB space. And you can tell it was CBGBs. They have a tiny old color TV playing a CBGBs tape. They have some new versions of old stereos... and they are for sale. They have tons of album covers and rock and roll photos. There's a stage with a drum kit... as a backdrop for a shoe display. It's all carefully designed... and I enjoyed it.

But while I would have bought a pair of sneakers at an outrageous price at the Soho store, I just couldn't get myself to do it at the CBGB store. Not while listening to some cool band that reminds me of drinking $3 beers and drinks being spilled and nobody caring and it's wonderful.

Just couldn't do it. It didn't feel right.

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I must say, I loved the Iggy pop ads.

glenn2.jpg

john_varvatos_iggy_pop.jpg

pf_main_varviggy.jpg

john_varvatos_iggy_pop_2.jpg

modern_leifeng

Reaction score
To me, so much of the Varvatos stuff is so overpriced. I have a pair of the jeans that I got for a really good buy, though, and like them. Also a big fan of the JV/JP collabo, mine have lasted over 2 years and now getting a bit beat up, will probably end up getting another pair of the collabos to replace them.

Johnny Amiga

Reaction score
I've a pair of brown Varvatos derbies that I absolutely love. I would've never paid full retail for them (got them for about 70$ on the 'bay), but then again on my current budget almost all decent shoes are way over my price range at retail. I like 'em alot is what I'm saying.

Morgan

Reaction score

Morgan

Reaction score
Well, the re-sole was needed when I actually wore a hole in the original leather sole. I walked a LOT in those shoes, and that's just what eventually happens to leather soles, regardless of quality. It's not like they fell part. I had them Topy'd and it was fine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads