• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I came across some nice john varvatos slacks at Off 5th. They were a great color, but at $140 I passed. Anybody have experince with the line? Am I paying for the name, or are they quality?

VMan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
I came across some nice john varvatos slacks at Off 5th. They were a great color, but at $140 I passed. Anybody have experince with the line? Am I paying for the name, or are they quality?
Varvatos is one of those in-the-middle designers where you do pay a bit for the name, but you also get a pretty good quality product which will remain stylish for a while. Quality is a lot better than, say, Prada or D&G, and will also be 'in style' for longer, but not quite as good as, say, Incotex. $140 is more than I would pay, but it still sounds like a good deal. What was retail, $300?

Avers

Reaction score
What about JV shoes?

I've seen some of their shoes, they all said "handmade" and had handwriting for style/size.

Are these really handmade?

William

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by VersaceMan
$140 is more than I would pay, but it still sounds like a good deal. What was retail, $300?

probably. They were kind of a charcoal color with faint faint stripes of varying light brown and tan shades. What turned me off was a dark red/brown piping along the rim of the pockets, which I could see causing turbulence in the morning as I try to decide whether to coordiante my shoes with the light bown threads or the dark brown piping. I have too many decisions to face at 7am to begin with.

ferry1950

Reaction score
Don't know about the quality, but was shocked to see their new "model" for the company in the current issue of Vaniy Fair.
It is no other than Mr. Iggy Pop!!!
I am not sure how that squares with the image they are trying to project, but it is certainly out of the box marketing thinking.
For those of you that follow Mr. Pop, he was not cutting himself in the photo nor harming any living animals(that I could see).
ghw

Joel_Cairo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by ferry1950
Don't know about the quality, but was shocked to see their new "model" for the company in the current issue of Vaniy Fair.
It is no other than Mr. Iggy Pop!!!
I am not sure how that squares with the image they are trying to project, but it is certainly out of the box marketing thinking.
For those of you that follow Mr. Pop, he was not cutting himself in the photo nor harming any living animals(that I could see).
ghw

Their last series of ads had Chris Cornel, formerly of Soundgarden. They also had ads with Joe Perry, guitartist for Aerosmith. I think its pretty clear JV is going for a "what rockstars wear when they must wear shirts" brand profile.

Artisan Fan

Suitsupply-sider
Reaction score
The quality I have seen at Saks has not been great but it is not too bad either...very piece specific. I find some of his textures uncomfortable.

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of JV jeans (selvedge--surprise, surprise), a few shirts, and some cords. The quality is a step above Banana Republic or Theory, production is generally contracted in the US or Italy, fabrics are decent though definitely contemporary, and the styling fits into the "designer" lexicon. As previously stated, the value is poor at full retail, but I wouldnt hesitate to buy JV for casual wear at discounted prices.

hermes

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i concur with norcaltransplant in that at full retail, the quality doesn't justify the price but on sale, it's well worth paying for

as for this shoes, i have several pairs/boots and they're all well made, nicely constructed from what i can tell and haven't at fallen apart in the several years that i've owned and worn them, so a good buy in my book

freelance robotics

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Joel_Cairo
Their last series of ads had Chris Cornel, formerly of Soundgarden. They also had ads with Joe Perry, guitartist for Aerosmith. I think its pretty clear JV is going for a "what rockstars wear when they must wear shirts" brand profile.

Alice Cooper, too.

davo10375

Reaction score
Not sure about the denim, but this thread should be stickied due to post #4

repressedm

Reaction score
Originally Posted by davo10375
Not sure about the denim, but this thread should be stickied due to post #4

laugh.gif

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
His shoes are of excellent quality, by which I mean roughly on par with Paul Smith, and similarly it varies with the piece. I have a couple of JV shirts that I'm very happy with quality-wise, though the material on one is substantially superior to the other. It definitely varies. I think I would pay 140 for a pair of JV pants if I thought the fit and colour/pattern/texture were working really well for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads