1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

john varvatos quality?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Joel_Cairo, Aug 13, 2006.

1. RFX45

RFX45 Stylish Dinosaur

Quality is pretty good over all his clothes and the shoes are well made. He currently has three lines though and priced accordingly to quality and style I guess.

John Varvatos Main Line > John Varvatos Star USA > Converse by John Varvatos

They all fit well though, well for the not so skinny person.

2. Eason

Eason Bicurious Racist

I got a pair of his Loafers from Barney's last week for $175 on sale, they're really great leather and are extremely comfortable.

3. Jokerman

Jokerman Distinguished Member

The pair of leather boots I got from barneys are great quality and really comfortable.

4. erdawe

erdawe Distinguished Member

I'll continue on the shoe bandwagon. I'm no cobbler, but quality on a pair of laceups I have seems every bit as good as my NDC"s and Paul Smiths.

5. effang

effang Senior Member

how do these BOSS Black lightweight wool trousers compare? they are also around 120ish, but they do have a slimmer cut, and are business appropriate

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3000531/...bo=2378156&P=1

nordstrom's is having their annual sale, and there aren't too many dress pants on sale aside from these...

6. SantosLHalper

SantosLHalper Senior Member

I'll continue on the shoe bandwagon. I'm no cobbler, but quality on a pair of laceups I have seems every bit as good as my NDC"s and Paul Smiths.

Add me to this bandwagon. I don't own NDCs, but I would put the quality up there with the several pairs of Paul Smiths that I own. I like them enough to consider paying full retail for them.

7. erdawe

erdawe Distinguished Member

I will also add that while some of the Varvatos shoes/boots looks great, others can have strange distressing and designs that I could never get down with, just be discerning on what you pickup.

8. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

The washed/wrinkled very slight v neck John Varvatos Star tshirts are my favorite things for summer. I have them in green, white, blue and salmon.

9. grunhauser

grunhauser Senior Member

I find JV's shoes to be absolutely terrible - they are nothing but badly made, uncomfortable beasts.

Beware of aging rockers promoting fancy clothing brands in other words.

ps. Eyewear is pure crap too.

10. RFX45

RFX45 Stylish Dinosaur

^^^ I wouldn't say terrible, they are well made but I can't go as far as saying they are the same quality as PS, close though. Maybe you tried on or owned a pair in the wrong size, because my pair of JV shoes feels pretty comfortable.

11. cjbreed

cjbreed Senior Member

depends on the shoe. i have a pair that i'm very happy with. (hand made in italy if that matters)

12. ppllzz

ppllzz Distinguished Member

how do these BOSS Black lightweight wool trousers compare? they are also around 120ish, but they do have a slimmer cut, and are business appropriate

http://shop.nordstrom.com/S/3000531/...bo=2378156&P=1

nordstrom's is having their annual sale, and there aren't too many dress pants on sale aside from these...

i got those for 175 b/c i had an interview soon and needed something decent to wear

they are definitely business appropriate, but have a somewhat higher rise than i'm use to

as for john varvatos, i got a pair of shoes yesterday, and they are really comfy, i tried on the "made in italy" ones and couldn't really tell if there was a quality difference

13. izlat

izlat Senior Member

The washed/wrinkled very slight v neck John Varvatos Star tshirts are my favorite things for summer. I have them in green, white, blue and salmon.

Really [​IMG] JV t-shirts are some of my favorites too

I have the green one you mention (but not a V), as well as a off-white pure linen, and this would-be trendy green next season in very soft pima or something.

In case you haven't seen them - Generra also has an off-white wrinkled (may be called burn print or something, if I am not mistaken) T and it is another one of my favorites

14. Casey

Casey Senior Member

I honestly felt like a JV Star USA tee that I saw which had two different layers of jersey was the softest tee shirt that I had ever felt. The two layers made it feel thick and sturdy but it was so smooth and soft, I didn't want to let it go. At almost $100 though, it was no where near worrth its value.

Someone said in 2006 that most of the line was produced in the US or Italy. It seems like things have changed since then though. I find myself thinking the line is completely overpriced, even at the Barneys Outlet in the clearance racks. However, as much as I don't believe in the rock star feel of the clothes, the style is very easy to wear and I wouldn't mind buying John Varvatos if I could ever find it on superclearance.

15. heynow

heynow Senior Member

I honestly felt like a JV Star USA tee that I saw which had two different layers of jersey was the softest tee shirt that I had ever felt. The two layers made it feel thick and sturdy but it was so smooth and soft, I didn't want to let it go. At almost $100 though, it was no where near worrth its value.

Someone said in 2006 that most of the line was produced in the US or Italy. It seems like things have changed since then though. I find myself thinking the line is completely overpriced, even at the Barneys Outlet in the clearance racks. However, as much as I don't believe in the rock star feel of the clothes, the style is very easy to wear and I wouldn't mind buying John Varvatos if I could ever find it on superclearance.

they had some of those shirts at my marshall's on clearance for $10 i bought some. They are worth that price.