• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

John Varvatos Problems

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought a couple of JV items from Gilt last week. The belt I've worn twice. As you can see, it is already coming apart. I guess I'll just return it.

IMG_0584.jpg

Meanwhile, these shoes have a shiny mark that you can see on the side of the sole which looks some glue ran over during the application process. At first I wasn't worried about it, but after the belt is coming apart after two days...should I return these too? I haven't worn them.

IMG_0560.jpg

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
people buy military belts from gilt?

forreal?

Brutus

Reaction score
I've personally had pretty good luck with JV stuff. I have however had some questionable things arrive from Gilt. The one thing bad enough that I almost sent it back turned out okay after I cleaned it. Paying 33% of the apparent "retail" price of something means you're going to get what you get. Ask yourself, "is this item worth what I paid for it?" After that, decide.

AR_Six

"Sookie!"
Reaction score
I've owned a number of JV items, currently I wear 2 shirts and a pair of shoes. All have held up well, and the shoes are actually spectacularly well made, considering the price point and the fact that you'd expect to be paying for the name more than the construction. However it's all mainline stuff, not sure if yours is, and the shoes I have are welted, so it's possible that we're talking about different things here.

RFX45

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I think the shiny part on the shoes are normal. I have a leather jacket from JV and it has that same effect for that distressed look. Now I am not 100% sure about it but it maybe the same effect they are trying to get with the shoes.

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RFX45
I think the shiny part on the shoes are normal. I have a leather jacket from JV and it has that same effect for that distressed look. Now I am not 100% sure about it but it maybe the same effect they are trying to get with the shoes.

No, this is on the side of the sole in the middle. You can barely see it in the photo. It's definitely glue or something, not distressing. I know nothing about shoe construction but I can assume that welding >>>> gluing and the fact that the glue is running over the side can't be a good sign. Just wondering if someone knows enough about it to either tell me not to worry, or tell me to worry.

Shonuff- I haven't worn the shoes, so I can still return them. I can only assume they will take the belt back as well. If they won't, then I'm sure JV will.

mulansauce

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Caveat
No, this is on the side of the sole in the middle. You can barely see it in the photo. It's definitely glue or something, not distressing. I know nothing about shoe construction but I can assume that welding >>>> gluing and the fact that the glue is running over the side can't be a good sign. Just wondering if someone knows enough about it to either tell me not to worry, or tell me to worry. Shonuff- I haven't worn the shoes, so I can still return them. I can only assume they will take the belt back as well. If they won't, then I'm sure JV will.
The shoes look fine in the photo. You only have about five or six days left to return them to Gilt, so make up your mind soon. Also, how are you "sure" JV will "take back" items you didn't purchase directly from them in the first place? You need to take the issue (if there is one) up with Gilt--JV can't be held responsible for what a 3rd party sold you.

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mulansauce
The shoes look fine in the photo. You only have about five or six days left to return them to Gilt, so make up your mind soon. Also, how are you "sure" JV will "take back" items you didn't purchase directly from them in the first place? You need to take the issue (if there is one) up with Gilt--JV can't be held responsible for what a 3rd party sold you.

Oh, I know. I'm returning the belt tomorrow. I have until the 27th to get it to them. I was just replying to Shonuff who said you can't return an item after wearing it. I'm confident that policy wouldn't apply to an item that was coming apart before the 14 day return period was up. Asking JV for compensation would be Plan B since their name is on it. I guess Plan C would be to eat the $50 and laugh. I'm more worried about the shoes at this point since the the belt is beyond my control and the boots were $150 that I can get back if I so choose. I've wasted a lot of money in my life on clothes where I wish someone would have given me advice on what not to buy. I'm just posting this in case someone knows something I don't about JV, Gilt, or glued-together boots. JV seems to have a good rep, so I'm inclined to think the belt was an anomaly.

Mauro

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Are you serious about the boot??? Common man get a life. Do you float on air a normal bases?? your boots are going to get dirty and you want the leather to break in.
The is NO construction flaw in the boot and your "stain" isnt noticable. Doesnt always buy first run ****. You got a hell of deal isnt that enough.

SoCal2NYC

Fashion Hayzus
Reaction score
Aren't the boots supposed to look like that?

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mauro
Are you serious about the boot??? Common man get a life. Do you float on air a normal bases?? your boots are going to get dirty and you want the leather to break in.
The is NO construction flaw in the boot and your "stain" isnt noticable. Doesnt always buy first run ****. You got a hell of deal isnt that enough.

You must have had a good night out last night.

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by SoCal2NYC
Aren't the boots supposed to look like that?

No, I guess it's not clear in the pic. I'm not worried about the stain, just the construction.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Just to let you know, the aesthetic of varvatos goes for earthy, worn-in looks, especially their shoes and boots. I've seen the glue spillage look on other types of work shoes and boots as well. It will not affect wear and age, and is no indication of defect in construction. It's simply a little spillage perhaps either overlooked or intentionally left for an anomalous look. For the latter, this fits in with their weathered-down, beaten up earthy aesthetic.
Of course though, they're not going to overlook or intentionally skimp on aspects that deteriorate or affects quality, but only aspects that may perhaps be cosmetic.
If you don't like that clear bulb of glue spillage just take a piece of sandpaper and gently grind it down the smooth edge and re-dress it.

~Stangzorized~

Reaction score
I've had a pair of the JV chukka style boot for about 3 years, put a rubber sole.heel on them and they still look brand new after wearing them at least 3 days a week..

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads