• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

John Varvatos grey pinstripe suit 120 dollars. Good deal?

Holstein Bilter

Reaction score
Hello all.

Just purchased a John Varvatos Charcoal Grey 3 button suit w/light grey pinstripes.

44R 100% wool made in italy

$120 dollars at the Grove in Los Angeles. It still had it's original price tag on it for $1295.

90% off. This is probably a middle of the road OTR piece, but the price was
just too hard to resist and the suit felt decent and heavy duty.

Was this a good deal?

Regards.

HB

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
sounds like you got ripped off.
lol8[1].gif

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Do you like how it looks? For $120, if you like the look and it fits you, did ok regardless of who made it.

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
I don't get the ambivalence of "you did ok".....$120 is the price of a Target Merona suit, getting a Varvatos suit for the same price is a good score, and I don't understand the OP wondering if he "got a good deal". Of course you did at 90% off, you could probably turn that around on ebay for double the price since Varvatos is one of those designers that has interest and a following. Now if you bought it for $600+ then I could see it being debatable if it was a good deal or not. That suit cost less than my last Fred Perry shirt.

lawyerdad

Lying Dog-faced Pony Soldier
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
I don't get the ambivalence of "you did ok".....$120 is the price of a Target Merona suit, getting a Varvatos suit for the same price is a good score, and I don't understand the OP wondering if he "got a good deal". Of course you did at 90% off, you could probably turn that around on ebay for double the price since Varvatos is one of those designers that has interest and a following. Now if you bought it for $600+ then I could see it being debatable if it was a good deal or not. That suit cost less than my last Fred Perry shirt.
All good points.
I said "ok" because I know nothing about Varvatos quality or what sort of interest it would generate on ebay or anyone else. For all I know, it could be roughly equivalent to a Target suit in terms of construction quality. My point was that even if that's the case, it's still not a bad deal. Maybe it's a fantastic deal, who knows. Perhaps I should have said that he did "at least ok, and maybe much better than that".

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
LAGuy posted a similar (but better) response on the same thread in SW&D..

"Why do people have to ask stuff like this? It's $120. For a suit. $120 is a pretty good deal for pretty much *any* suit. Reasonable quality material costs about $20-40/yard, not to mention trims. It takes, say 4 yards of material to make a suit at size 44. Let's say that the material is a very reasonable $25/yard (probably, at retail, the material costs more, but JV is a pretty large brand, and probably gets a decent discount.) Add $10 for *all* the trims. That makes up $110 already. And we haven't even started with any construction costs. "

Holstein Bilter

Reaction score
My original post was because, Varvatos doesn't seem to be the heralded brands I've seen on this forum(Brioni, Kiton, etc). So I wanted to get feedback, since I too had not had much background on Varvatos; Just knew that the name's been growing and seen it in magazines.

I consider it a steal at 120 since the original sticker was 1295. Now that I can see it's not target level quality, I truly consider it a steal.

Regards.

HB

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Holstein Bilter
Hello all.

Just purchased a John Varvatos Charcoal Grey 3 button suit w/light grey pinstripes.

44R 100% wool made in italy

$120 dollars at the Grove in Los Angeles. It still had it's original price tag on it for $1295.

90% off. This is probably a middle of the road OTR piece, but the price was
just too hard to resist and the suit felt decent and heavy duty.

Was this a good deal?

Regards.

HB

Hey, where at the Grove did you get that!? the only place i can think of is Nordstrom's, and Nordstrom's is not known to ever have such low mark downs. And that's just my size! You notice if there were any others?

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There are many perfectly good brands that do not get a lot of mention here because they do not embrace the same aesthetic sensibilities as do many, if not the majority of posters on this forum. The same goes for the Streetwear & Denim forum. Furthermore, Styleforum does not necessarily translate well into the real world. The brands talked about on either forum are ridiculously expensive and extravagant in the eyes of most people.

ghulkhan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy
There are many perfectly good brands that do not get a lot of mention here because they do not embrace the same aesthetic sensibilities as do many, if not the majority of posters on this forum. The same goes for the Streetwear & Denim forum. Furthermore, Styleforum does not necessarily translate well into the real world. The brands talked about on either forum are ridiculously expensive and extravagant in the eyes of most people.

agreeeeed

Holstein Bilter

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LA Guy

Are you implying that there are those who talk about these brands as if this were a pipe dream going after the unattainable? (such as talking about a 350k bespoke spyker roadster all day by the water cooler at a 50K/year job as they drive their OTR bmw?).

Many of the mentioned SF suit brands cost upwards of 5000 dollars to 7000 new. I'm sure w/some ebaying and bargain shopping(is there such this as a 5000 suit outlet store? =) you could get costs into the 2000 range? One does see some on ebay; just don't know about buying without trying on.

In kind, 5000, or discounted for such a suit is much more attainable than a 200k ferrari, but it just depends on who appreciates spending money into the thousands for their clothing.

W/the money saved on the Varvatos, I could try going for one of those
higher end suits or get something bespoke.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads