1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

John Varvatos Convertible Boot

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Gavin, Oct 1, 2008.

1. Gavin

Gavin Senior member

[​IMG] I absolutely love these boots and have found them for half-price ($300 down from $600), but I would want to be able to wear them during the winter. Since they have a leather sole, would it be possible/advisable to have a rubber sole added on top of the leather to make it more durable and resistant to snow/ice/salt? And speaking of salt, what is the best way to protect the leather (the boot, not the sole) from road salt and snow? I would just wear a pair of Sorels on those really heavy snow/slush days, but when I'm not wearing them whatever boot I buy would likely be my go-to pair. I was looking at GTs, but I like these much much more.

2. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

Yes, you can have rubber put over the leather. Sno Seal would protect the leather from the elements.

3. Gavin

Gavin Senior member

Am I risking degrading the quality of the boot in any way by having a rubber sole added? Or is that a non-issue?

4. Johnny_5

Johnny_5 Senior member

Not if you have a good cobbler put the rubber over the leather sole itself.

5. Gavin

Gavin Senior member

Good to know, thanks.

I love the boots and at half-price they're tough to turn down, but I don't want a $300 pair of boots to be shot after one winter, ya know?

6. GiltGroupe

GiltGroupe Senior member Affiliate Vendor

It should not be a problem to add a rubber sole.

On Gilt Groupe we'll be selling some John Varvatos boots on Thursday and a lot of them have a Vibram rubber sole.

7. RFX45

RFX45 Senior member

On Gilt Groupe we'll be selling some John Varvatos boots on Thursday and a lot of them have a Vibram rubber sole.

Looking forward to it. I need new boots for the winter.

8. GiltGroupe

GiltGroupe Senior member Affiliate Vendor

9. Gavin

Gavin Senior member

It should not be a problem to add a rubber sole.

I would have waited to see what you guys had on sale, but you don't ship to Canada [​IMG]

I knew that some Varvatos come with a Vibram sole, but I've never added one to a leather sole shoe before so I didn't know if it was a bad idea or not. I'm happy to know that I can, though...it should make the boots a lot more durable for winter wear in the city.

10. SerialComma

SerialComma Senior member

http://www.gilt.com/blog/2008/09/30/...-john-varvatos

Here is a little preview.

I really like the chukka boots in the middle, but I've never seen them before. I know that JV has a tire sole boot that is similar, which I was planning to buy, but I like the look of these better. Are they new for the season?

11. Gavin

Gavin Senior member

I fucking hate when online retailers list every size for an item, whether they have it in stock or not. It turns out that I'm not getting these boots after all [​IMG]

12. Notreknip

Notreknip Senior member

I fucking hate when online retailers list every size for an item, whether they have it in stock or not.

It turns out that I'm not getting these boots after all [​IMG]

Gravity Pope? Yeah, it's annoying.

What size did you try for out of curiosity?

13. Gavin

Gavin Senior member

Gravity Pope? Yeah, it's annoying.

What size did you try for out of curiosity?

Yeah, Gravity Pope.

I tried for a 10 at first and have emailed back asking if they have any 10.5s. I haven't heard back yet.

14. dieselman89

dieselman89 Senior member

I absolutely hate JV. The higher end versions of chucks are not worth the $. You are paying for the name...

15. phreak

phreak Senior member

Do these run TTS?

16. H2O

H2O Active Member

These boots do run true to size, but they are narrow and take a while to break in. Definitely an amazing boot, though!

17. tigerpac

tigerpac Senior member

I have 3 pairs of different JV shoes/boots - am I the only one finding that the soles and heels are wearing much faster than most other brands?