John Stewart vs. Jim Cramer and CNBC

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by Slopho, Mar 11, 2009.

1. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

Hell why not bring on Buffett and Soros and lampoon them for all the bad calls they've made over their careers? Then fanboys could get off to Jon Stewart exposing them too. Of course Cramer is an idiot but digging up bad calls he's made doesn't prove anything.

Do you really believe people watch CNBC because they think a television station can "anticipate what the markets will do"?

Go to any major trading floor and almost everyone will have CNBC on. Do you think ANY of them are watching it to get stock tips or "weather forecasts"? Of course not, its an outlet for business news.

[​IMG]

People use CNBC for different things. Some people use it solely for news and others use the news gained from CNBC as a guide to what the markets will do.

2. nate10184

nate10184 Senior member

[​IMG] People use CNBC for different things. Some people use it solely for news and others use the news gained from CNBC as a guide to what the markets will do.
    You're absolutely right. Professionals usually have it on in the background for the interviews, breaking news, etc. Only an idiot would watch CNBC like it was a weather forecast. The fact that Jon Stewart appeals to people who would says a lot about his target audience -- people who aren't that smart who want to feel smart.

3. javyn

javyn Senior member

So what you are saying is people like Cramer, Madoff, predatory lenders, etc should be allowed to operate freely because anyone dumb enough to fall for their bullshit deserves it? What about the people who didn't fall for it, but have to foot the bill for everyone else a la bailout 2009? Also, I have no statistics on it, but from the episodes of Cramer's show I caught, the majority of his callers asking for advice were senior citizens. Do you still have the same "screw you dummy" attitude towards them and their losses? Or are you saying only professionals should be in the market in the first place? And if so, how do you think our stock market can recover with no retail investors, whose full-time jobs are something other than stock speculation?
    Your absolutely right. Professionals usually have it on in the background for the interviews, breaking news, etc. Only an idiot would watch CNBC like it was a weather forecast. The fact that Jon Stewart appeals to people who would says a lot about his audience -- people who aren't that smart who want to feel smart.

4. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

Your absolutely right. Professionals usually have it on in the background for the interviews, breaking news, etc. Only an idiot would watch CNBC like it was a weather forecast. The fact that Jon Stewart appeals to people who would says a lot about his target audience -- people who aren't that smart who want to feel smart.

Ah, so this is basically an attack on liberals. OK. How much are you down in the market anyway?

5. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

isnt that all the stock market is, just a bunch of educated guessing? as much i dont want to side with cramer on this I do not think his picks are his fault. Simple economics shows that if everyone goes out and buys his stock then the value will likely go down. It was bound to happen. he cannot go and pick a microsoft, google, etc. with every pick that he does.
    Wait, what? Wouldn't "simple economics" say that if everyone buys a stock the price will go up?
    You're absolutely right. Professionals usually have it on in the background for the interviews, breaking news, etc. Only an idiot would watch CNBC like it was a weather forecast. The fact that Jon Stewart appeals to people who would says a lot about his target audience -- people who aren't that smart who want to feel smart.

I don't watch Cramer or CNBC. I don't watch Stewart regularly, but do find him funny. But I'm a professional, which by by your calculus makes me smart, right? (Actually, I never took calculus, so I can't claim to be that smart.)

6. itsstillmatt

itsstillmatt The Liberator Dubiously Honored

Stewart is like watching the televised version of a snarky liberal blog. If I am going to be subjected to that, I'd rather read Matt Yglesias.

(Actually, I never took calculus, so I can't claim to be that smart.)

Can you actually get through Cal without taking calculus? [​IMG]

7. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

Stewart is like watching the televised version of a snarky liberal blog. If I am going to be subjected to that, I'd rather read Matt Yglesias.

I think conservatives are pissed because no matter what they do the one thing they aren't is funny.

8. nate10184

nate10184 Senior member

So what you are saying is people like Cramer, Madoff, predatory lenders, etc should be allowed to operate freely because anyone dumb enough to fall for their bullshit deserves it?

What about the people who didn't fall for it, but have to foot the bill for everyone else a la bailout 2009?

Also, I have no statistics on it, but from the episodes of Cramer's show I caught, the majority of his callers asking for advice were senior citizens. Do you still have the same "screw you dummy" attitude towards them and their losses?

Or are you saying only professionals should be in the market in the first place? And if so, how do you think our stock market can recover with no retail investors, whose full-time jobs are something other than stock speculation?

I don't see how any of this relates to my post. When did I ever defend Cramer?

The OP seemed to claim that because CNBC can't "predict the markets" that it's a fraud. I was pointing out that traders and professional investors are fully aware of this and watch anyway.

9. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

[​IMG] I like Matt, except on economic stuff, where he is consistently misinformed (thought not necessarily wrong).

10. Manton

Manton RINO Dubiously Honored

Sure.

11. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

I don't see how any of this relates to my post. When did I ever defend Cramer?

The OP seemed to claim that because CNBC can't "predict the markets" that it's a fraud. I was pointing out that traders and professional investors are fully aware of this and watch anyway.

That made no sense shoe guy. So how much are you down in the market again??

12. itsstillmatt

[​IMG] I like Matt, except on economic stuff, where he is consistently misinformed (thought not necessarily wrong).
    I like him as well.

13. itsstillmatt

Sure.
    I wonder if you can even get in nowadays without having taken it in high school.

14. nate10184

nate10184 Senior member

My hero worship goes out to a guy who's calling the entire network out on their inability to truly anticipate what the market will do all while selling viewers on being "the most trusted name in business".
    How does it not make sense? Is it not what you were saying here? You seem to be saying that CNBC is a fraud because they can't anticipate what the markets will do. BTW I'm not saying I'm a professional. I don't have any reason to watch CNBC regularly because I'm not a day trader. My 401k and IRA are diversified across several indexes so my investments are down just as much as the next guy. I'm pretty risk averse so I always keep a substantial amount of cash on hand. Why that matters I'll never know.

15. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

How does it not make sense? Is it not what you were saying here? You seem to be saying that CNBC is a fraud because they can't anticipate what the markets will do.

BTW I'm not saying I'm a professional. I don't have any reason to watch CNBC regularly because I'm not a day trader. My 401k and IRA are diversified across several indexes so my investments are down just as much as the next guy. I'm pretty risk averse so I always keep a substantial amount of cash on hand. Why that matters I'll never know.

CNBC isn't a fraud because it can't predict what the markets will do. It is a fraud because it sells itself as a network that can predict what the markets will do.