1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

John Smedley --- what's your opinion?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by miran, Aug 31, 2011.

1. miran

miran Senior member

John Smedley --- what's your opinion? Do you own any? How is it?

2. mtmindc

mtmindc Senior member

How's sizing on Smedley knits? For a 39" chest, would you recommend a small or medium?

3. yachtie

yachtie Senior member

+1 Their merino and low micron wools are excellent. I like their Sea Island cottons for warm weather. Recommended.

4. BlackShoes

BlackShoes Senior member

Excellent, their cashmere blends are also excellent.

5. HHD

HHD Senior member

Smedley Sea Island cotton is expensive but very good. It's possible to find previous seasons on eBay and Yoox at reduced prices.

6. royskeen

royskeen Senior member

Smedley is awful! Especially in my size at discounted prices. :)

7. Oleg

Oleg Senior member

Funnily enough, I'm not as convinced by them as I used to be. Some of my older merino ones are still going strong after 15 years or more but my more recent ones haven't worn as well. Still going but clearly aren't going to last as long. Still nice things, but harder to justify paying full whack for them these days (especially as price has gone up quite a lot).

8. KObalto

KObalto Senior member

I have their Sea Island Isis polo and love it. Their yearly sale on their website started a couple of weeks ago and may still be going on. Polos were ~$85.

9. Brenner

Brenner Senior member

Its seems there is a decrease in quality in recent years

10. Andy57

Andy57 Senior member

I'm a fairly new customer, so I can't comment on whether their quality has changed over a number of years. But I have purchased four sweater vests in a very fine Merino wool from them over the last year or so and I'm very pleased. The wool is very fine and a perfect weight for adding just a touch of warmth to a shirt and jacket in what passes for winter in Northern California.

11. marcodalondra

marcodalondra Senior member

I love their slim fitting, fine merino and sea island cotton sweaters. I have few of their polo as well, and while I like them, being knitted fabric, they wear differently than other polos

12. Brenner

Brenner Senior member

Yes, to me the Polos are a bit overpriced, the sweaters are very nice

13. mockingboy

mockingboy Senior member

Of the Merino Sweaters, which are the best V-Necks to wear with a collared shirt underneath. I really don't like the deep V neck look, want it to look nice and crisp and fit well with the collar.

Thanks!
    Mike

14. Brenner

Brenner Senior member

Roll necks are nice too

15. Sundis

Sundis Member

I really love the wool and cashmere items. I am not pleased with the cottons. They dont last long.

16. Meurice

Meurice Well-Known Member

And one should really be trim and fit - the merino shirts highlight every bulge