1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 8: A Bespoke Coat from David Reeves

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 6th auction of the year is for a Bespoke Coat from David Reeves. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

John Lobb "Wallace" Double Monk

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by odoreater, Jul 17, 2006.

1. odoreater

odoreater Distinguished Member

Does anyone have any opinion on the John Lobb "Wallace" Double Monk strap shoe? I'm thinking of picking up a pair in Dark Oak but I thought I would see what you guys have to say about them first.

[​IMG]

2. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I prefer the Naseby (for double monk) and the Jermyn II and Bourne (for single monk) but the Wallace is not bad

3. skalogre

skalogre Distinguished Member

I likle them but I would personally like a more chiselled toe. Cannot really tell though from that photograph. Nice colour, naturally.

4. ragdoll

ragdoll Senior Member

I have a pair in the 8695 last. They are nice but I do wish that they were a bit more sleek like the JL Derwent.

5. odoreater

The shoes I'm looking at are a UK 10EE, does anybody know how these would fit compared to a UK 10F Edward Green on the 808 last? I'm hoping that they'll fit just a tad longer and a bit wider.

6. romafan

romafan Distinguished Member

I have a pair of JL Derwents in a black 'buffalo' hide, and love 'em. To my unsophisticated eye, they are very similar looking - I think my toes are a little more pointy ("the toebox is a bit more chiselled"?) - don't ask me about lasts...[​IMG] They're a great looking shoe - I even wear them w/ a suit!

7. poorsod

poorsod Distinguished Member

I have a pair of JL Derwents in a black 'buffalo' hide, and love 'em. To my unsophisticated eye, they are very similar looking - I think my toes are a little more pointy ("the toebox is a bit more chiselled"?) - don't ask me about lasts...[​IMG] They're a great looking shoe - I even wear them w/ a suit!

Derwent is on the 8000 last. I am such an SF geek now. [​IMG]

8. zjpj83

zjpj83 Distinguished Member

The shoes I'm looking at are a UK 10EE, does anybody know how these would fit compared to a UK 10F Edward Green on the 808 last? I'm hoping that they'll fit just a tad longer and a bit wider.
    I think they will be a tad wider for sure. Not sure about length.

9. norcaltransplant

norcaltransplant Distinguished Member

FYI, there is currently a reasonably priced JL Derwent on the 8000 last in 8E UK on Ebay right now. Its also mislabeled as a wide, since the seller didnt accurately convert to American sizes. Good luck!

10. odoreater

I think they will be a tad wider for sure. Not sure about length.

That's good to hear. I'm more considered about the width than the length anyway. I bought a pair of EG Monmouths on the 808 in UK 10F from the recent sale and while they're breaking in pretty nicely they're a tad tight (especially the right shoe), so I'm hoping these are a little looser.

11. zjpj83

zjpj83 Distinguished Member

In my experience, Lobb runs wider than EG in almost every last. I'm definitely an F in EG, and my Lobbs are almost all "E" and fit pretty perfectly.

12. Bic Pentameter

Bic Pentameter Senior Member

I was outbid on a pair of Wallaces a few weeks ago. I love double monks, but in retrospect, I am happy that I didn't get them. I like plain toe monks better.

Also, I have decided that I might buy prestige line Lobbs on eBay from sellers like Sausages, but the asking price for for regular line is just too high.

Just my two cents.

Bic

13. Roger

Roger Distinguished Member

Does anyone have any opinion on the John Lobb "Wallace" Double Monk strap shoe? I'm thinking of picking up a pair in Dark Oak but I thought I would see what you guys have to say about them first.

[​IMG]

Have you seen the shoe in the flesh? I have the JLobb Westminster in Dark Oak and have been mildly disappointed in the color and tone. It's pretty flat and lifeless. I suppose that, in some respects, this perception is due to placing them alongside some EGs I have with their fabulous antiquing and glow. Just a thought. If you've seen the color and like it, ignore this post!

14. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Stylish Dinosaur

Hey odoreater,
    I know you pulled the trigger, and my impression from other posts is that you're pretty happy you did. Any comments on how the fit worked out, now that you've had them for a while? Some folks have suggested they may run a touch long, at least on the 8000 last. I'd be interested in a comparison to the fit of some other benchmark, such as AE, Alden, or EG. Any thoughts appreciated - thanks.

15. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

I like the Wallace...very classic in design.