• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

John Lobb vs Crockett & Jones vs Edward Green

Milgauss

Reaction score
JL and Edward Green are more expensive but for those who have pairs of these brands or can make a comparison, how does the quality of leather differ between the

JL (ready to wear)

Edward Green (ready to wear)

C&J Handgrade

C&J Main Line (Benchgrade?)

Specifically, is the difference worth the extra money between the C&J benchgrade and JL?

I'm not an expert in leathers and only have one pair of C&J benchgrade but I'm thinking of taking the jump to JL or Edward Green.

The C&J store seems to think that the C&J Handgrade is comparable to JB and EG, but I'm not so sure.

Any help would be much appreciated!

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO the order that you listed the brands matches their order in terms of leather quality (i.e. JL RTW seems to have the best leather). However, it is hard to say whether the price differences between each are commensurate with the quality differences.

edmorel

Quality Seller!!
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Here is my reply which everyone will disagree with, but I am right and they are wrong. Strictly RTW, the premium of EG to C&J Handgrade is not worth it, particularly for the "basics". If you like something like the Dover, you have no choice but to go EG but if you are looking for a basic cap toe, C&J is just as fine. Lobb I find to be better than both and Lobb has more distinct stylings.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can see the visual difference in the heels but in actual wear I can't really tell the difference between any of the 3. I like JL the least the CJ shoes are my favorite of the three.

The only shoe I can actually tell is little more comfortable are the Gaziano and Girling shoes but leather wise , I can't tell much of a difference.

I am sure others more versed can.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Milgauss
JL and Edward Green are more expensive but for those who have pairs of these brands or can make a comparison, how does the quality of leather differ between the

JL (ready to wear)

Edward Green (ready to wear)

C&J Handgrade

C&J Main Line (Benchgrade?)

Specifically, is the difference worth the extra money between the C&J benchgrade and JL?

I'm not an expert in leathers and only have one pair of C&J benchgrade but I'm thinking of taking the jump to JL or Edward Green.

The C&J store seems to think that the C&J Handgrade is comparable to JB and EG, but I'm not so sure.

Any help would be much appreciated!

There are some rankings (e.g. on AAAC)! And several threads (use the search).

Your first post and no introduction?

Ah, and who cares the extra money (it's style)????

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by edmorel
Here is my reply which everyone will disagree with, but I am right and they are wrong. Strictly RTW, the premium of EG to C&J Handgrade is not worth it, particularly for the "basics". If you like something like the Dover, you have no choice but to go EG but if you are looking for a basic cap toe, C&J is just as fine. Lobb I find to be better than both and Lobb has more distinct stylings.

I sort of agree with Ed, actually. I find leather qualities to be somewhat variable anyway--it's a natural product, after all. The reason to buy EGs over C&Js is because they don't make the same shoes. I find Church's lasts to be not particularly attractive, and feel the same way about Alfred Sargent. OTOH, I have a pair of black captoes from C&J that EG just doesn't make the equivalent of. I have two from EG and they're both good-looking shoes, but in that particular design, I like my Whitehalls marginally better.

I'm being a little muddled about this, but my point is that god is in the details. The EGs often get little things right in matters of proportion or detail that will be wrong elsewhere. If you care enough to get the very best, often you have little choice. You can get the Sargent, and it will be 90% of the shoe that the EG is at 50% or less of the price. So the question is whether you care about that last 10%.

C&J does machine last all their shoes, FWIW.

teddieriley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ Yup. Last shape will be important too. Some fit your foot better than others.

kaxixi

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lobb I find to be better than both and Lobb has more distinct stylings.

+1. Distinct can be good or bad, but IMO, it is often good in Lobb's case.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I will echo the above statements and also point out that I have never seen a cosmetic flaw on Lobb RTW leather, ever. They are always visually perfect.

Lobb isn't something I would spend my money on but the leather quality is something I would not argue with.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by grimslade
I sort of agree with Ed, actually. I find leather qualities to be somewhat variable anyway--it's a natural product, after all. The reason to buy EGs over C&Js is because they don't make the same shoes. I find Church's lasts to be not particularly attractive, and feel the same way about Alfred Sargent. OTOH, I have a pair of black captoes from C&J that EG just doesn't make the equivalent of. I have two from EG and they're both good-looking shoes, but in that particular design, I like my Whitehalls marginally better.

I'm being a little muddled about this, but my point is that god is in the details. The EGs often get little things right in matters of proportion or detail that will be wrong elsewhere. If you care enough to get the very best, often you have little choice. You can get the Sargent, and it will be 90% of the shoe that the EG is at 50% or less of the price. So the question is whether you care about that last 10%.

C&J does machine last all their shoes, FWIW.

In terms of actual quality, however you would measure it, who makes a better shoe? I don't just mean the quality of the leather but the quality of the workmanship? Thanks for the help.

Tarmac

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Workmanship? Probably Lobb. It doesn't mean I prefer it though. I think EGs look better. EG and Lobb are neck and neck though. What does it matter if you don't like how the shoe looks?

grimslade

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
In terms of actual quality, however you would measure it, who makes a better shoe? I don't just mean the quality of the leather but the quality of the workmanship? Thanks for the help.

Lobb and EG have better workmanship, but per the above, for me, at that level, I'm not sure I care about the kinds of differences we're talking about. I would go with the one that made the shoe I wanted to wear.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I just bought a pair of black captoe bals from Martegani. Considering how rarely I'll wear them, and the types of events to which I'll wear them, they're more than sufficient for my needs. From above, and to the onlooker, they're just another pair of black captoes.

I can't join in all the Lobb love, though. Its self-conciously distinct stylings are its downfall, in my book.

Spatlese

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JL > EG => CJ >>>> my current budget

AnGeLiCbOrIs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I splurged for a pair of EGs in dark oak on the 888 last because I like the style, shape and color. Now that I realize I will not fit into the 888 without trimming off a toe I am very happy with C&J.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads