• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

John Lobb vs Crockett & Jones vs Edward Green

navysuede

Reaction score
Herme's owns Lobb and they are not going anywhere..Prada owns Church and they are not going anywhere.As for outsourcing to India,,I know that alot of uppers are now crafted there then
sent back to be made into footwear..Loake being the major player in that arena..What of R.Tricker
Company??

navysuede

Reaction score
About the leather..Almost all the finest shoes will be made of calfskin.The best has been coming
from France, Germany and Italy.Note;Hermes owns a French Tannery(Gordon Choisy) which
is often tasked to make some incredible leathers for Hermes bags and John Lobb shoes.Just a little info for the Forum..

Milgauss

Reaction score
Thanks for all the responses, guys. I think I will check out the C&J handgrade for my next pair - they have a great choice and I might try the 337 last this time....maybe something like the Stanley.

My only impressions so far after having inspected a shoe from each of the brands is that the Lobb leather seems softer and more pliable than the others. Unfortunately, because of my very small shoe size it is near impossible to find my size in the store or the factory (UK 5 1/2) in the model I want.

Thanks again
smile.gif

Harrydog

Reaction score
To some extent the choice is between Lobb Museum calf and the EG crust leathers.

Then one moves to styles and last. Both EG and Lobb have some very appealing models. I agree with the criticism of the more trendy Lobb styles, but you still have the Philip II for a great classic captoe or the Sutton for a little more modern styling.

So...I guess I am saying I have found shoes in both catalogs I like...

The Sutton in chestnut or the Beaulieu in burgundy on the 82 last...these are among my favorite shoes.

whnay.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
C&J Paris is really nice. Indifferent about EG vs JL because I like them both.

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJmanbearpig
Bengal, perfectly put.

And yet Lobb will outlast Green, since it has Hermes' money behind it, a better retail presence and higher profile, and flashier designs and PR.

Get your Green while you can. I am the Cassandra of quality brands the way Manton is with respect to nculear peril.

I am cautiously optimistic. EG has a huge following in Japan, the current strength of yen against the sterling should help. RL is still a big customer.

Robwynge

Reaction score
I own none of the three, so takethis for what it's worth...

Based on pictures posted on this very forum, I have seen shoes from all brands look pretty creased and worn. In fact, some of the worse creasing I have seen was on a Gaziano & Girling, so the shoe could not have been more than a year or so. Point being: you should get the shoe the fits the best and meets your style preferences. Once worn, I suspect the differences in workmanship and leather quality will produce fairly marginal performance differences, so only pay the premium for EG or JL if they meet the criteria above or if you have money to burn and want to try out shoes from the brands with the best reputations.

yace

Reaction score
What's the difference between John Lobb Paris and John Lobb St. James?

Leather man

Reaction score
I don't agree with the C&J shop. I have C&J handgrade, benchgrade and lots of Edward Green. Whilst C&J Handgrade leather is lovely it is not as lovely as EG leather.

Comfort - a day of wearing C&J - feet not as happy as a day of wearing EG. Sometimes the quality is in the hidden things. Its not last shape - the handgrades on 337 last fit me well as long as there are no seams ( ie monks, boot and wholecut).

Choice - very little choice regarding width and colour with C&J. I do not understand shoemakers who say " you can have any fit as long as its "E"! - That's UK " by the way.

I have no experience with John Lobb apart from seeing lovely pictures!

FWIW John Lobb Paris is ready to wear and John Lobb St James is now a separate company and is bespoke. - for benefit of the previous poster.

Leather man

Reaction score
Originally Posted by von Rothbart
Do you hear any rumor that EG may be in trouble?

In all fairness to Lobb, there are still plenty of very nice newer models - Vale, Chapel, William II, 2006, 2007, 2004, Luffield, Towcester.... and they are still making the classics like Philip II, Jermyn II, City, Chambord....

Not in trouble at all! Shop tell me they are unbelievably busy due to Japanese and Continental tourists with a few American cousins thrown in! I think weak pound is helping here. Its mainly the home market thats tanked but that happened a long time ago when the British decided it was a virtue to dress as if we'd just left the gym!

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
rtw vs bespoke. Lobb Paris bought the rights to use the name for rtw from Lobb St. James.

I own all 3 and they are each great in their own regard. CJ is probably the best value. But my favorite last is EG's 888 and EG probably wins my favorite all around. It also fits my foot the best. I got my Lobbs because I feel they make the finest double monk, the Chapel.

When I wear any of them, I am not thinking to myself about how fine or not fine the waist treatment is. About the only comparitive quality I do notice aesthetically is how much I enjoy EG's tightly trimmed welts.

My advice, browse the shoe damage thread and shoe pictorial index and find examples that you find appealing and go from there.

Golf_Nerd

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Robwynge
... In fact, some of the worse creasing I have seen was on a Gaziano & Girling, ...

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

But back to John Lobb vs Crockett & Jones vs Edward Green

Moss

Reaction score
C&J is a great value, especially from Plal and Pediwear. Some EG shoes are hard to match with equivalent C&Js and the 82 last does not have a good counterpart at C&J. John Lobb is altogether different in terms of styling.

puffdaddy

Reaction score
I think there's enough value in the Edward Green brand that even if trouble ever arose, someone would be there to buy the company.

That said, after talking with several non-UK shoemakers about EG, it seems the general concensus is that the company does too much MTO to really be a financial success. Whether this is true or not is subject to opinions probably much better informed than my own. The logic goes that shoemkers at the plant hate the hassle of having to deal with "one-offs" and that the process is generally ineffcient by nature.

To me, the biggest risk is not EG's survival, but rather that a larger entity with an international retail presense could come in and significantly alter the model.

Theoretically you could see a larger "in stock" selection, but with MTO prices that are significantly higher and significantly fewer options.

If I was Polo RL and wanted to buy EG, I'd stock:

2 boots (Shannon, chelsea)
2 loafers (sloane, belgravia)
4 bals (plain cap toe, semi brogue, full brogue, wholecut with toe medallion)
2 derbies (Dover and something like the Holborn)

. . . in black and a brown (depending on the model), with the odd suede or burgundy thrown in.

I'd eliminate 60% of the MTO options and charge $2500 per pair for MTO.

Of course, I'd hate to see this happen . . .

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads