• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

John Lobb Shoes..... foundation or finishing touch.

recondite

Reaction score
I have seen some rather hideous bespoke shoes. In fact, in some of my circles, hideous bespoke shoes are somewhat de rigueur if not a badge of honor.

Come to think of it, the same fellows wear rather hideous bespoke lounge suits and sporting attire. Hmmmmm. Maybe your friend is on to something depending on how he defines "good".

So, i'm debating with a friend of mine... He thinks a pair of bespoke shoes are a cornerstone of a good wardrobe.
I believe its a finishing touch. Much better to have quality basics and lesser shoes.

What do you think?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Shirt->Suit->Shoes->Tie->watch->belt,socks, underwear(if any)

IMO, of the three primary bespoke items - shirts, suits, shoes - they are worth the extra $$ in exactly that order. I have never regretted a custom shirt or suit purchase. I regret the one custom shoe purchase that Ive made. Not that they're bad shoes, its just that they werent worth the premium over an EG RTW or even AE. Shoes to a degree are self-customizing - they mold to your size as you wear them more than any other item of mens business dress.

I highly disagree with the whole custom shirt before custom suit thing.

One thing that I have leared is that it is easy to waste a lot of money on expensive shirts at first. Expensive shirts are an "affordable" luxury much like designer sunglasses, fancy wallets, belts, scarves, but do very little in making you look better dressed. I fell into this trap at the beginning. I got a bunch of custom made shirts without doing my research at first and ultimately ended up overpaying for a decent product, but furthermore I got shirts that I would never wear today because they are not really, "me". Well fast forward a few years. I do not wear a single one of those shirts. The dollar per increase in "dressing well" was very low. Now I am getting bespoke suits and the proportions and color scheme of those shirts doesn't fit with my good suits, or my developed style. Now I need to start on the shirt front all over again. Plus, cotton wears out, it is closest to your body and it takes most of the beating. It gets laundered often, it shrinks, it yellows, it stretches back out. It is pretty disposable.

So what does this all mean? Basically look way into the future at what you want to dress like and from there purchase the items that will most likely last you the longest and are of the quality you seek (note I didn't say "best" quality) and the style that you want to achieve. Don't kid yourself either, you might want a loud plaid suit, which is fine, however start with the basics. Have 10 suits before you get the loud one. Many people are discouraged by this advice because the items that will be staples and will last the longest are usually the most expensive, namely shoes and suiting (or anything wool really). People don't want to wait to build a wardrobe correctly, they want to get what is easily obtainable first and lots of it. Well, that means that they are most likely going to spend a lot more money over the course of the process because things like shirts, well they don't last all that long in the grand scheme of things.

poorsod

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO the largest benefit from bespoke shoes are in the fit and feel. I suspect each individuals mileage will vary depending on foot asymmetry and shape. Like many things in life you won't know if the benefits are worth the cost until you try it yourself.

Panos

Reaction score
IMO the largest benefit from bespoke shoes are in the fit and feel. I suspect each individuals mileage will vary depending on foot asymmetry and shape. Like many things in life you won't know if the benefits are worth the cost until you try it yourself.

That's my thought as well. You don't have to spend your money in bespoke shoes in order to look good. You will buy them because you appreciate the fit/feel quality. Sometimes even because you want to have something that has been made for you exactly. Bespoke shoes are pure luxury, it's not an essential (at least for those with "normal" feet.

If you have the money go ahead and by them but in my opinion the shoe will never look like a suit that has been made for you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads