• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

John Lobb Shoe Trees

stifler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gentlemen,

I recently bought my first pair of John Lobb shoes and noticed they didn't come with shoe trees. I was expecting shoe trees for such an expensive pair of shoes. Is that not the case?

Also, are there places where I can buy new JL shoe trees that don't cost $175? I'm hoping there's someone who makes generic shoe trees consistent with JL lasts that don't cost an arm and a leg.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They would have to have access to JL lasts in order to make a lasted shoe tree.

I’ve used these in the past and like them. Great fit and easy in and out:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As far as I know, John Lobb's shoe trees are sold separately. Outside of bespoke shoemakers, I believe this is normal practice for high-end companies.

I can't remember of JL's shoe trees are lasted. Non-lasted shoe trees risk stretching the shoes out unnaturally in certain places over time. I have a few pairs of JL shoes with Woodlore shoe trees, and I've noticed that there's some stretching across the shoes near the topline.

There used to be a company that offered lasted shoe trees for nearly every maker, but they've since shut the service down.

FWIW, I use lasted shoe trees where I can, and then just cheapo Woodlore shoe trees for everything else. On some level, these are just shoes and they're meant to be worn. Normal wear-and-tear from wearing these on a regular basis will cause more damage than non-lasted shoe trees. I would just get a pair of trees in the correct size (most are sized to fit within a range of shoe sizes).

Last edited:

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, given the cost of JL, I don’t see any issue with paying the extra money for the lasted shoe trees.

Chowkin

Reaction score
Lasted shoe trees are included in JL’s Prestige Line.

As PF said, given the cost of your JL shoes, it makes sense to buy JL branded trees. Have a look at this side by side comparison of JL vs Ace Mark trees and you’ll know why:

96BCCF41-68DE-4AD0-862A-FD1FDA652993.jpeg

BTW, Skoaktiebolaget sells JL trees for just €108 ex VAT

stifler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lasted shoe trees are included in JL’s Prestige Line.

As PF said, given the cost of your JL shoes, it makes sense to buy JL branded trees. Have a look at this side by side comparison of JL vs Ace Mark trees and you’ll know why:

View attachment 1414303
BTW, Skoaktiebolaget sells JL trees for just €108 ex VAT

I'm a novice. What's the difference between the JL and AM shoe trees?

BomTrady

Reaction score
I'm a novice. What's the difference between the JL and AM shoe trees?
Lasted trees are made from the same designed used to make the last that made the particular shoe. JL lasted shoe trees are made for JL shoes and AM's for AM shoes. As mentioned a few times in this thread, if you use shoe trees not made for a shoe, you might bend the shoe out of shape, or at the least, you won't maintain the original shoe shape, which is the purpose of using trees in the first place. I say the lasted tree for the shoe is best, but any tree is better than no tree in the absence of the lasted one.

stifler

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Lasted trees are made from the same designed used to make the last that made the particular shoe. JL lasted shoe trees are made for JL shoes and AM's for AM shoes. As mentioned a few times in this thread, if you use shoe trees not made for a shoe, you might bend the shoe out of shape, or at the least, you won't maintain the original shoe shape, which is the purpose of using trees in the first place. I say the lasted tree for the shoe is best, but any tree is better than no tree in the absence of the lasted one.

Yes, I know that. I read that AM makes custom shoes trees specific to the manufacturer's last for a lot less money. Would that be fine?

BomTrady

Reaction score
Yes, I know that. I read that AM makes custom shoes trees specific to the manufacturer's last for a lot less money. Would that be fine?
I just stuck my UK 8.5 Mayfair 2 last into my UK 8 JL 8000 shoes and JL has less toe spring and, surprisingly, a higher instep, shaping the shoe further up the tongue than the AM last. The Mayfair last is also pointer. So, I think it's fine, but not perfect. You may mishape your JLs just a little. I would normally say, who cares, but once I mistakenly put two left lasted StC trees in a pair of StC shoes and by the time I noticed it, one shoe was irreparably damaged. After months in the right last, the damaged shoe never regained its correct shape and I had to abandon the shoes. So, you wouldn't do anywhere near that kind of damage, but I am hesitant to say that you won't mishaps your shoe at all. But like I said, any tree is better than none. But I am no expert either.

Last edited:

BomTrady

Reaction score
The Edward Green 82 last is damned close to, almost a perfect replica of, the JL 8000 last. I am not sure how expensive EG lasts are, but it's almost a dead ringer.

Phileas Fogg

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Edward Green 82 last is damned close to, almost a perfect replica of, the JL 8000 last. I am not sure how expensive EG lasts are, but it's almost a dead ringer.

It’s about the same.

Just get the JL. It’s like buying a Mercedes and then taking it to jiffy lube because the oil change at the dealership is too expensive.

Richard888

Reaction score
As far as I know, John Lobb's shoe trees are sold separately. Outside of bespoke shoemakers, I believe this is normal practice for high-end companies.

I can't remember of JL's shoe trees are lasted. Non-lasted shoe trees risk stretching the shoes out unnaturally in certain places over time. I have a few pairs of JL shoes with Woodlore shoe trees, and I've noticed that there's some stretching across the shoes near the topline.

There used to be a company that offered lasted shoe trees for nearly every maker, but they've since shut the service down.

FWIW, I use lasted shoe trees where I can, and then just cheapo Woodlore shoe trees for everything else. On some level, these are just shoes and they're meant to be worn. Normal wear-and-tear from wearing these on a regular basis will cause more damage than non-lasted shoe trees. I would just get a pair of trees in the correct size (most are sized to fit within a range of shoe sizes).
Will you please advise the name of the company that offered lasted shoe trees for nearly every maker? Thanks

noobanker

Reaction score
I have a pair of John Lobb boots (chukka) with 8000 last, but can’t find any shoe trees that are made for boots.
Does JL not sell those?

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of John Lobb boots (chukka) with 8000 last, but can’t find any shoe trees that are made for boots.
Does JL not sell those?
have you considered calling the JL NYC boutique or the boutique that is close to you ? nothing like spending 1200-1600 for shoes but then arguing about spending an extra 150 for shoe tress.

Chowkin

Reaction score
Does JL not sell those?

Do you mean boot trees like these?

E07E62A2-E411-435E-A1F4-E5D8CF1B7794.jpeg

Don’t think JL offers them

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads