• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

John Lobb Phillip II calling all owners

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I just received JL Phillip II from NM, while I was trying shoes on I noticed some sharp protruding edges from inner part of the sole. To me these look like a tips of the nails. I have question for those of you who own this model of shoes. Did you noticed anything similar. I am including the best pictures I could take for your examinations.

I thought JL were wood-pegged but these look like nails to me. Anyways I would be interested in your opinions.

IMG_6426.jpg

DSCN0735.jpg

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have two pairs, and just checked them. Mine have the protrusions, but they don't feel like nails. I didn't notice them until this thread, and I've had the shoes for over three years.

NAMOR

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
pics please. front, back, side, bottom. thank you!

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JayJay
I have two pairs, and just checked them. Mine have the protrusions, but they don't feel like nails. I didn't notice them until this thread, and I've had the shoes for over three years.

I wonder what it is? To me it seems something sharp.

Sorry Namor I already packed this back for return. However on outside they are nice. I must admit that for now my favorite shoe is any shoe on C&J 337 last. I wonder why JL did not use full leather insole like the ones on C&J hand-grades.

rebel222

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by laufer

Sorry Namor I already packed this back for return. However on outside they are nice. I must admit that for now my favorite shoe is any shoe on C&J 337 last. I wonder why JL did not use full leather insole like the ones on C&J hand-grades.

I don't think that's a defect. Almost all of my leather insoled shoes have little marks inside. I think it has something to do with the dense leather necessary for insoles.

Also, most Lobbs don't use a full leather insole. Actually, all that I have seen use a half footpad.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question - do you feel them?

I was wearing Phillip II yesterday & no issue/

I can see what you are referring to in my 2010 St Crepin (wearing today), though no issues.

GuidoWongolini

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

pebblegrain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by laufer

whats with this "seems" nonsense? its either sharp or it isn't. have you even put your hand in there to feel?

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can feel it when I touch it with my hand but it is not a issue when wear the shoes. I was just wondering what it is? I am returning these for the fit reason though. They are great shoes by the way.

LS7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have these in Copper Suede and I know what you're referring to, the top of what look like nails are visible. Is it really a problem though? I certainly don't have any issues wearing mine (>2 years now).

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LS7
I have these in Copper Suede and I know what you're referring to, the top of what look like nails are visible. Is it really a problem though? I certainly don't have any issues wearing mine (>2 years now).

Not a problem at all. It was just my curiosity. Great shoes really.

hsiangwang

Reaction score
It is a proof of hand lasting of the shoes
Both my woodcote and 2010 has that

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hsiangwang
Both my woodcote and 2010 has that
Out of curiosity I checked all my Lobbs, and they all have it. Never noticed it until this thread.

tj100

Reaction score
Originally Posted by rebel222
Also, most Lobbs don't use a full leather insole. Actually, all that I have seen use a half footpad.

Lobb actually uses the full/half to fine tune sizing. When they fit you at the store, they'll either leave the half footpad in, or replace it with a full footpad to make the shoe fit a little bit smaller. I usually end up with a half insole on my left and a full insole on my right.

If, for some reason, you prefer a full leather insole, you can just ask and they'll put it in.

Xenon

Reaction score
Those little protrusions are whats left when the temporary nails were put in during lasting. When the nail is removed the leather closes back on itself but not completely. The shoe maker will smooth these down but can leave a few behind.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads