• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

John Lobb Philip II: Black calf

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this too nice of a shoe to be wasted on black calf leather? I'm thinking about making this the Lobb that I go for, and I need a serious black cap-toe shoe...I don't have anything in this slot right now. If you wanted to buy a Lobb and needed a black cap-toe would you buy the Philip II or by a C&J Handgrade black cap-toe to fill that void and find something else for the Lobb? Thanks, HS.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the Philip II ..

On second thought, I'd get the C&J handgrade and buy a trademark Lobb like the Jermyn II.

There's no shortage of black cap-toes out there.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
just get the AE park avenue or byron for $150 or so, or even full retail, if you need a black cap-toe. It's black. It's full grain calf. It's got a cap-toe. Or the Alden/BB equivalent.

I only go upscale when its brown. 800-1200 seems kind of pointless for black, especially a black cap-toe, unless the fit is incredible. I would go upscale for a black EG stowe or JL jermyn, though.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
just get the AE park avenue or byron for $150 or so, or even full retail, if you need a black cap-toe. It's black. It's full grain calf. It's got a cap-toe. Or the Alden/BB equivalent.

I only go upscale when its brown. 800-1200 seems kind of pointless for black, especially a black cap-toe, unless the fit is incredible. I would go upscale for a black EG stowe or JL jermyn, though.

Where can you get Park Avenues for $150?

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suggest the C&J Hallam for a very serviceable black captoe. Much more stylish than Alden/AE and the like.

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
Where can you get Park Avenues for $150?

the usual places - ebay, marshalls, dsw, etc. keep in mind that i included things like a perf cap-toe. ebay is fantastic, if you're not in a hurry. and i never am. like somebody's .sig file goes - good, fast, cheap - pick two.

i don't currently have the park avenue, (i hate the last) - but i was able to pick up a near new one for 80 - no real wear on the soles, but some creasing from excessive tryons. but i hated the last, so i immediately resold it.

but i did get the wyngate (basically a byron - a captoe with perforations - with a poron insole) at marshalls, brand new, for 150.00.

hopkins_student

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whoopee
I suggest the C&J Hallam for a very serviceable black captoe. Much more stylish than Alden/AE and the like.

I don't see that on the C&J website. What's it look like? Is it handgrade?

NoVaguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by hopkins_student
I'm pretty sure it's a benchgrade on the 348 last. It should be available from pediwear.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also on P. Lal, and some photos have been posted here, too.

UR003

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hopkins_student
You'll find it on the French C&J website, www.crockettandjones.fr under richelieu (http://www.crockettandjones.fr/catalogue.php?rub=2). I think I like the 348 last better than the 337. It's very sharp. And the shoes are not that expensive. I would say they are the most attractive in their price class. I have also seen a version where there is no toe cap and brogueing around the quarters (don't know for sure that's the word I am looking for, but I mean the stitching that starts near the heel and rises to round the instep, just beneath the first eyelet and then back downwards to the heel on the other side of the shoe). Unfortunately it isn't on the website. The French website shows a lot of interesting shoes that aren't on the .co.uk website. Edit: the shoe on the 348 last with some brogueing is called Dalton. A picture can be found on the website of an established shoe shop from Amsterdam, Zwartjes (http://www.zwartjes.nl/collectie.asp?me=1&t=H), the 11th pair from the left.

thinman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by NoVaguy
I only go upscale when its brown. 800-1200 seems kind of pointless for black, especially a black cap-toe, unless the fit is incredible.

I agree. I'll only drop this kind of cash for a special shoe, in brown. Everyone makes a black captoe....and once you've seen one black captoe, you've seen 'em all (OK guys, start flaming, posting pics of your favorite black captoes, etc.).

von Rothbart

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with the sentiment here. If you prepare to pay some serious bucks on a pair of Lobb, make it a special pair in brown, something iconic, something that people couldn't help but stare at your feet like the Jermyn II or the Vintage series. Disregard what I just said if you've already had closet full of JLs and EGs.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You might be able to pick up the EG Chelsea in black during their next sale.

morsem

Reaction score
What do you guys think of the John Lobb dark oak? Is it anything like the EG dark oak and do they do any antiqueing at all?

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes there is antiquing - not to the level of EG.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads