• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

John Lobb on Madison Avenue

slaavwmr

Reaction score
I'm going to be at a meeting on Madison Avenue tommorow. Is it worth my time to check out their shoes? I plan on visiting Saks to check out the EG's in person, but I am open to other ideas as well. Any thoughts?

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
It's absolutely worth your time to check JL Paris out. While you're at it, since you'll already be in the area, you ought to stop in at JM Weston, Lattanzi, Santoni, and Ralph Lauren at 72nd. Lots of great shoes to be seen...

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
John,
How do you respond to every shoe thread within 1 hour of posting?

Ahem, on the subject of John Lobb Paris--a visit to the shop is highly recommended.  The doorbell is a bit pompous, but just trying on a few shoes is well worth the effort.  I personally prefer Lobb to Green based on their superior discounts and greater selection of styles in the US.  Make sure to take write down or memorize a few last numbers... the JL March sale is quickly approaching.

Lattanzi is more eye-candy than reality for men of my limited funds.  I suggest hitting Lobb, dashing up to Santoni, Weston, and Tanino Crisci in the 70s, and then paying a quick visit to Vacca and/or Bergdorf before closing time to check out StefanoBi and Kiton.  I think Sak's closes later than Bergdorf and all of the boutiques, so this strategy is probably your best bet...

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
John, How do you respond to every shoe thread within 1 hour of posting?
I got J to set it up so that I get paged every time someone mentions shoes in a post.
wink.gif

Alexander Kabbaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got J to set it up so that I get paged every time someone mentions shoes in a post.
Gives new meaning to the word fetish, no?

marc37

Reaction score
(norcaltransplant @ Jan. 30 2005,22:43) John, How do you respond to every shoe thread within 1 hour of posting?
I got J to set it up so that I get paged every time someone mentions shoes in a post. Â
wink.gif

Jcusey: your a sick man. l'm going to get J to do the same for me too. Jcusey is my brother in arms - a classic shoo nerd.
biggrin.gif
Hooray for Jcusey.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
P.S.: Shoes. Shoes shoes shoes.
Careful, AK. Last I heard, J was considering doing the same thing for you with shirts. Instead of paging, though, there would be automated phone calls every five minutes until you responded.
devil.gif

jerrysfriend

Reaction score
quote] Jcusey: your a sick man. l'm going to get J to do the same for me too. Jcusey is my brother in arms - a classic shoo nerd. Â
biggrin.gif
Hooray for Jcusey.
I may be sicker. My shoe cupboard is getting out of control. Since my home is one mile from my office and since I often come home for lunch, the answer to trying to wear them all more frequently may be to change shoes at lunchtime. Vass reccomends wearing new shoes for only 3-4 hours the first half dozen times or so anyway (until your feet and shoes get used to each other). Do others agree with this?

slaavwmr

Reaction score
John,
How do you respond to every shoe thread within 1 hour of posting?

Ahem, on the subject of John Lobb Paris--a visit to the shop is highly recommended.  The doorbell is a bit pompous, but just trying on a few shoes is well worth the effort.  I personally prefer Lobb to Green based on their superior discounts and greater selection of styles in the US.  Make sure to take write down or memorize a few last numbers... the JL March sale is quickly approaching.

Lattanzi is more eye-candy than reality for men of my limited funds.  I suggest hitting Lobb, dashing up to Santoni, Weston, and Tanino Crisci in the 70s, and then paying a quick visit to Vacca and/or Bergdorf before closing time to check out StefanoBi and Kiton.  I think Sak's closes later than Bergdorf and all of the boutiques, so this strategy is probably your best bet...
Since it was a work day I didn't have a chance to take the tour you mentioned,but I did go Saks. to see EG, and to John Lobb. The first thing I have to say is that the guy at John Lobb was really nice and took his time to show me different type of shoes. It is a buetifull store. The one thing he did that scared me is he measured my foot. I haven't had that done in a long time. According to his measurement my foot is narrow and I need a british 10D, when I have been buying a US 101/2 my whole life. When I tried on a pair of shoes the british 10D fit the best. I'm just worried that it will be tight. I was close to buying but I held off. I tried on the berkely at saks and the fit wasn't perfect so I am thinking I might need the british 10D in that as well.

All of this has made me think, is it worth it. Why not just buy Aldens for $500 less a pair and since I'm only looking for captoe and punchtoe in black there isn't so much of a difference.

What do you guys think?

Panzeraxe

Reaction score
How much do their shoes start at? - $1,000? I've been quite a few times but never bothered to check out their prices as I have never intended to buy. I think JM Westom probably represents a better value.

Panzer

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Certain shoes which have the "bootmaker" sole -- a very close approximation to a handmade bevelled waist -- cost $1,100, I think.  The other models are around $700-$800. You're probably right that Weston, and also Green and some others, represent a better value.

slaavwmr

Reaction score
The pair I looked at "City" was $885. The ones with the more handcrafted sole are around $1200, but they come with Shoe Trees.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Ah, well. The weak dollar is a killer.

jcusey

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
According to his measurement my foot is narrow and I need a british 10D, when I have been buying a US 101/2 my whole life. When I tried on a pair of shoes the british 10D fit the best. I'm just worried that it will be tight. I was close to buying but I held off. I tried on the berkely at saks and the fit wasn't perfect so I am thinking I might need the british 10D in that as well.
JL Paris lasts are sized a bit differently from EG lasts. I'm a 10 D US and a 9.5 E in every EG last that I've tried. I'm a 9 E for most JL Paris lasts, and I can wear an 8.5 E in 7000 (although I'm probably better off with a 9 E in that, as well). Don't just take your measured size from the JL Paris store and buy that size in EG.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads