1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

John Lobb London

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by kirbya, Jul 24, 2012.

1. Macallan

Macallan Senior member

Previously they have offered £1k off the second pair; however, that was in back in 2009/2010

2. ljrcustom

ljrcustom Senior member

I'd be interested to hear your thoughts when the shoes are finished. What caused you to switch from using Cleverley bespoke to John Lobb bespoke, if you don't mind me asking? Thanks.

3. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

afaik, just recently. actually, you have first hand experience. did you visit them in london or have you been measured at a trunk show?

4. jerrybrowne

jerrybrowne Senior member

I'll post an update, but we're several months off. They just finished the last.

I haven't switched from using Cleverley. I'm very happy with them. I just wanted to see what JL was like.

5. jerrybrowne

I think they had a similar promotion last year. JL visits Boston once or twice a year. I was measured during their most recent visit.

6. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

imo, this is normal. i cannot get behind the weirdos who buy two dozen pairs of rtw shoes within a period of six months or so...

Last edited: Jul 25, 2012
  7. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

yeaah, i mean it's generally speaking kind of a sensation that JLSJ is offering discounts.

looking forward to them. you have to visit the shop one day, though.

8. ljrcustom

ljrcustom Senior member

Thanks. Will be interested to hear your thoughts on Cleverley compared to Lobb when your Lobb shoes are finished. What style of shoe are they making for you? I was unaware that they make trips to Boston, does the price change if you order from them directly at their shop in London vs. during one of their trips?

9. jerrybrowne

I'm having them make something similar to this in an antiqued pigskin with a few alterations to the pattern;

http://www.johnlobbltd.co.uk/catalo...Navvycuts/Norwegiannavvycut/norvamp_navvy.htm

I believe the charge for the shoes was slightly higher than purchasing from the UK. No VAT though.

I don't know if this is your first bespoke shoe, but if so I would seriously consider Cleverley. They visit Boston more often, and the fittings are critical for first timers.

10. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

11. jerrybrowne

Thank you my friend. I'm having the curve of the quarter that connects to the vamp changed a bit.

12. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

i can hardly imagine what you mean, but i'm looking forward to them... ...definitely.

have you sent the fax? ;)

13. jerrybrowne

I gave up trying to do it myself- work has been hell. My assistant is going to take care of it tomorrow though. The other part was taken care of. I'm told it takes a couple of days to clear.....

14. jerrybrowne

I was incorrect. The pricing is identical. You have to pay additional shipping but that's it. The biggest concern are tariffs if they happen to hit. Can be harsh.

15. ljrcustom

ljrcustom Senior member

Nice. I have never had bespoke shoes before. I have been able to fulfill my needs thus far with the offerings from JL and EG. I am interested in eventually having bespoke shoes made but I don't know I am ready to spend that much on shoes at this point in my life. I will certainly take a look at Cleverley though. Thanks again.

16. ljrcustom

ljrcustom Senior member

Yeah I wouldn't want to get stuck with paying tarrifs on pair of $7,000 shoes. If It were me, I would consider a vacation so I could pick them up in person in London. I would imagine that would only add to the whole experience. Hope you enjoy the shoes when they are completed.

17. Bounder

Bounder Senior member