• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

John Lobb in Maxim Magazine

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Thought this was interesting...in the latest Maxim, trying to explain why Lobb's are worth the $$$$
lobbshoesel4.jpg

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it elitist of me to dislike the fact that they've posted about a brand that most people have never heard of in Maxim?
wink.gif

I already know the answer to that, by the way.

Interesting article.. if they truly cared about what makes a shoe worth it, why'd they recommend Aldo/Kenneth Cole instead of Allen Edmonds?

alexpham

Reaction score
I find it interesting that they list a dress shoe from Payless that sells for $35 as "smart".

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What a stupid article. Why pick a $4500 bespoke shoe that isn't particularly special in terms of styling when they could have shown the the Farndon or something that is much more within the reach of working professionals and at the same time skew people away from their obsession with hideous square-toed shoes by showing something that is truely beautiful.

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is this a sign of an impending shift away from business casual and back to wearing timeless and classic, albeit expensive, clothing?

mrchapel

Reaction score
Hmmm...interesting. I am really surprised AE isn't listed there, and also surprised a shoe from Payless is on there. But then, I suppose you have to factor in the target market. Most readers of Maxim are young twnetysomethings, or even younger. AE has a classic conservative reputation, which could be one reason why it's not listed. But the Payless shoe...
crazy.gif

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bespoke shoes, and they don't even cover fit?

There are so many things wrong with this article.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Heh I mentioned this earlier. I love the recs at the bottom. Kenneth Cole, Payless, and Aldo.

Teacher

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by kronik

Interesting article.. if they truly cared about what makes a shoe worth it, why'd they recommend Aldo/Kenneth Cole instead of Allen Edmonds?

Think now...M-A-X-I-M!

odoreater

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wait a minute fellas, is the content of the article really that important, or is the fact that the article was written at all what is important?

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by odoreater
is the fact that the article was written at all what is important?

yep, the fact this exists in Maxim shows a shift in cosmic forces

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As far as the "affordable" recommendations at bottom, the most expensive shoe is $265. I'd have replaced the J&M with the Park Avenue, but that's still driving up the price range.

The Payless option is ugly, but at least it's not square-toed, and I imagine it was picked to fill the "under $50" category. Hard to find decent-looking shoes for less than $50 these days, even poorly made ones, I suspect.

montecristo#4

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Get Smart
yep, the fact this exists in Maxim shows a shift in cosmic forces

Next think you know Snoop will be rapping about "bitches and Lobbs".

Englandmj7

Reaction score
Although the Payless shoe may be ugly, I have bought a couple of durable, decent pairs of shoes from them in my life. If you don't have any cash and need a pair for an interview/event then why the hell not.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by montecristo#4
Next think you know Snoop will be rapping about "bitches and Lobbs".

Gator bespoke Lobbs.

Again, not sure I'm down with mass consumption of "high society."
wink.gif

I have no problem with people paying the premium for the shoes.. and really, I have no problem with the plug in Maxim or any other magazine, because let's face it, most guys ain't paying 1000 bucks for shoes, no matter what line you give them. What I don't want to see, is Lobb try to go low-market to appeal to Maxim readers. The likelihood of this is probably a million to one, but even still....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads