• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

John Lobb Dark Brown Museum Calf Polish

goodlensboy

Reaction score
Wondering what to do to maintain the original finishing of new dark brown museum calf, applied Crema Aplina on one shoe to see results. One coat of Crema Aplina, 2 hours or so later rubbing with sylvet PR cloth resulted in:
  • removal of rather dull brown wax layer applied at factory (cloth become brown)
  • increase in shine
  • no significant change in shoe's original finishing or color
Perhaps I'll apply neutral wax later, or maybe light brown (though hesitating to put light brown). JL boutique suggested dark brown cream and dark brown wax, however I fear they might darken the color/ cover the antiquing. JL care guide says apply one shade lighter polish to maintain the color though. Pics below - shoe on the left in the picture is with crema alpina (download and save full size pics for better viewing)

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I would not use a neutral wax or even a neutral cream. I have the same color Lobbs I found that using neutral polishes gave me a white waxy look in the creases when walking. I followed the advice of Lobb and used a slightly lighter shade of brown cream polish but a slightly lighter shade of wax with good results. The key is to not use too much wax and to brush and buff them well so that there isn't a buildup of wax.

Last edited:

jcb9

Reaction score
I use the lighter cream/darker wax method and it has been fine for my shoes (not Lobb). The antiquing is not covered up.

goodlensboy

Reaction score

I would not use a neutral wax or even a neutral cream. I have the same color Lobbs I found that using neutral polishes gave me a white waxy look in the creases when walking. I followed the advice of Lobb and used a slightly lighter shade of brown cream polish but a slightly lighter shade of wax with good results. The key is to not use too much wax and to brush and buff them well so that there isn't a buildup of wax.

Many thanks pocketsquare and jcb

pocketsquareguy - do you mean you use light brown cream and medium brown wax

Agree with importance of brushing and buffing and less waxes and creams

I've only dark brown cream and wax, thinking to get some in lighter shades - will post results when i get them

add911_11

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Use neutral wax, that should do the job

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Use neutral wax, that should do the job

Belay that order. Avoid neutral wax altogether. It gets flaky when the leather bends. Were these my shoes, I would sparingly apply leather lotion once per month or two, let dry, brush, then buff. That is all. Laying down polish will only cover the beautiful factory finish. The only area I would apply a light or medium brown wax to is the caps and nowhere else.

goodlensboy

Reaction score

Belay that order. Avoid neutral wax altogether. It gets flaky when the leather bends. Were these my shoes, I would sparingly apply leather lotion once per month or two, let dry, brush, then buff. That is all. Laying down polish will only cover the beautiful factory finish. The only area I would apply a light or medium brown wax to is the caps and nowhere else.

Many thanks. You are always helpful Man of Lint, respects

After few more wearings without anymore crema alpina, I now think museum calf is intended to look not too glossy, as against lord, misty or oxford etc

On City II/ Classic it esp looks rather 'relaxed' as against dressy

Perhpas it would change with time, not that I'd like it to change. Let's see

:violin:

goodlensboy

Reaction score
Did some experiment, but forgot to take before pics, so sorry about that. Since getting them a few months back, I was rarely applying crema alpina on them without any wax or cream, ultimately they started to look rather dull. Yesterday I applied some Saphir Gloss medium brown wax with water on upper, and dark brown Saphir cream around the welt Before brushing: After brushing: After a coat of Crema Alpina, brushing and buffing with sylvet PR: Result: Shoes are now bit darker, richer and lustrous The museum finish can still be seen :inlove:

dddrees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great looking shoes.

Would you apply lotion once a month to shoes not being worn during this time frame as well.

Let's say you have shoes which you don't wear for a couple of months how often would you apply lotion as a general rule?

Son Of Saphir

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Let's say you have shoes which you don't wear for a couple of months how often would you apply lotion as a general rule?

One leather expert tell me to lotion all shoe once a month worn or unworn.
Man have many decades old heavy worn shoe made with average leather in perfect condition.
Test for proper nourish leather is artform,
many man say he shoe not dry when it is dry.
Shoe need to squeek special voice when polish it,
YES! :nodding:
Saphir renovator very very good to maintain between saphir cream.
Saphir renovator very very good to maintain shell cordovan good to stop cracking.
Saphir very very good,
me use it every day. :slayer:

woolymammoth

Reaction score
I have maybe ten pairs of John Lobb dark brown museum shoes and all I've ever used is Saphir dark brown polish and I only put the polish on a pair of shoes maybe 2-3 times per year and just quickly buff with a brush/cloth otherwise.

lobb-10212012.jpg

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

One leather expert tell me to lotion all shoe once a month worn or unworn.
Man have many decades old heavy worn shoe made with average leather in perfect condition.
Test for proper nourish leather is artform,
many man say he shoe not dry when it is dry.
Shoe need to squeek special voice when polish it,
YES! :nodding:
Saphir renovator very very good to maintain between saphir cream.
Saphir renovator very very good to maintain shell cordovan good to stop cracking.
Saphir very very good,
me use it every day. :slayer:

Son, have you tried the Saphir Lotion?

I've been using it instead of Reno when I want to simply moisturize without removing any of the finish. It goes on smooth, picks up little noticable color from the shoes onto the application cloth (indicating little lifting of existing finish) and buffs out quick and shiny just like Renovateur.

Say more about that squeak if you can! Thank you.

bboysdontcryy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Son, have you tried the Saphir Lotion?
I've been using it instead of Reno when I want to simply moisturize without removing any of the finish. It goes on smooth, picks up little noticable color from the shoes onto the application cloth (indicating little lifting of existing finish) and buffs out quick and shiny just like Renovateur.
Say more about that squeak if you can! Thank you.

Are you trying to push him beyond the boundaries of his ability to articulate in English? :D

I spent 4 minutes trying to understand what he was writing.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads