• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

John Lobb Darby II, what's the thought? Wearable with suit?

michaelvl

Reaction score
- Bluchers also called Derbies (shoes with open lacing) are considered shoes for casual attire.
- Balmorals also called Oxfords (shoes with closed lacing) are considered shoes for business/formal attire.

The shoe you bought is a Blucher type shoe, it's also a full brogue shoe, the less brogueing on a business shoe the better. Basically the only good things it has going on formal wise is that it's black and is made from calf leather.

Example's of "correct" shoe choice for business attire are: a black whole cut Oxford or a black cap toe Oxford.

Having said that, the knowledge of "correct" attire in the real world is shockingly low, if you are not working in finance, law or upper management I doubt that many would find fault in you wearing those shoes with a suit, I personally wouldn't wear them with one myself.

Last edited:

m0bbie

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
- Bluchers also called Derbies (shoes with open lacing) are considered shoes for casual attire.
- Balmorals also called Oxfords (shoes with closed lacing) are considered shoes for business/formal attire.

The shoe you bought is a Blucher type shoe, it's also a full brogue shoe, the less brogueing on a business shoe the better. Basically the only good things it has going on formal wise is that it's black and is made from calf leather.

Example's of "correct" shoe choice for business attire are: a black whole cut Oxford or a black cap toe Oxford.

Having said that, the knowledge of "correct" attire in the real world is shockingly low, if you are not working in finance, law or upper management I doubt that many would find fault in you wearing those shoes with a suit, I personally wouldn't wear them with one myself.
What about beige/tan linen/cotton suit? or maybe a navy sport coat with beige/tan chinos?

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have practiced law for 20 years. While I don't dispute your assessment of what is "correct" - these shoes with a suit would be a better option than what 75% or more of my colleagues are wearing at any given time. Shoes seem to be the last area appropriately addressed even by those who are otherwise fairly well put together. Never mind the distinction between Balmoral and Blucher - shockingly few seem to get beyond footwear that is both visibly cheap AND in poor condition.

Rant off.

I personally would not feel constrained to wear these shoes with casual attire alone.

gyasih

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree with the above poster most people wouldn't even notice. We, on SF, and other similar forums tend to look at things much differently.

Even with my above comment, I wouldn't start my wardrobe with those shoes and definitely not a used pair.

Last edited:

Quadcammer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
black blucher wingtips are probably the last thing I'd buy, much less well used john lobbs, but anyway.

They will look stupid with tan. They will be fine with navy and gray suits, although bluchers are typically not worn with suits.

I think you are going about your wardrobe building the wrong way. Things like these shoes and the light suit don't seem to be solid wardrobe staples

m0bbie

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Okay, got it.

One thing though, I don't know if you guys missed it, but the color is "Dark Oak", and to my sight, these appear to be dark brownish... Or my eyes were just wrong?

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Paying $410 for used shoes.......that's just being a sucker, in my opinion.

You could've purchased brand new shoes for less.

HomerJ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Okay, got it. 

One thing though, I don't know if you guys missed it, but the color is "Dark Oak", and to my sight, these appear to be dark brownish... Or my eyes were just wrong?

Looks like dark brown to me. Would look best with a sport coat. I've worn a similar pair of C&J with a suit though.

Here's a gratuitous ***** SHOT of the fit.
VxMTSEg.jpg

I'd love to know where I can get John Lobb shoes like this, new for less than US$410.  No, seriously - let me know.

I assumed he meant new shoes in general. I scored a few pairs of Lobbs for about $400 before but it's pretty damn rare. Sold one (not my size), kept one, returned one (turned out shoes were mismatched!)

Last edited:

RogerP

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I assumed he meant new shoes in general. I scored a few pairs of Lobbs for about $400 before but it's pretty damn rare. Sold one (not my size), kept one, returned one (turned out shoes were mismatched!)

If so, by that reasoning, heck, you could get new shoes for $49.99! Does that make one a "sucker" for buying a pair of used Lobbs in excellent condition for $400? Are shoes of comparable quality widely available new-in-box for less?

I don't doubt that others, like myself, have scored some major bargains over the years - but as you point out, it would be damn rare indeed to grab shoes like this new, at this price.

woolymammoth

Reaction score

Okay, got it. 

Dark Oak is for all intents and purposes dark brown (in my experience)...these are Dark Oak Lobb 1999...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads