• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

John Lobb Chapel (black) with a tux?

theyare

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyway this could be nice with a nice high shine? Possible it would still look nice and classy or is it trying to hard?
chapel.jpg
chapel2.jpg
chapel3.jpg

jrd617

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
No, they are informal shoe. Even polished.

Black captoes or wholecuts only. Or opera shoes if that's your thing.

cioni2k

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends where youre going. It will definitely look like you are trying too hard though. I wouldnt do it. But if you were going to a new years eve party that wasn't worried about the details it could be fun

Aaron01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, although you'd be a tumblr allstar. Pumps or captoes, don't know why it's so hard.

Slewfoot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I voted yes as I've done it with my EG black Grants and it worked well enough. I think a double monk is harder to pull off, but could still work. A standard single monk strap would be the easiest and best to do, but no one at the party is really going to care either way.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another no - I'm not a huge fan of 'rules', but black tie is black tie and is intended to be formal - you're better off expressing yourself with small tweaks like a grosgrain bowtie as opposed to monks which are an inherently informal shoe.

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
i personally think this is a rule that should be kept....captoes, wholecuts, or opera shoes.

your posterity will thank you.

HarleyBob

Reaction score
My four pair of monks/double monks have become my favorite go to shoes. I even, on occasion, find myself wearing them with a suit (much to the chagrin of the SF crowd.) But come on, if you are going to wear a tux, wear appropriate shoes, which by the way are not monks.

tj100

Reaction score
Originally Posted by DerekS
i personally think this is a rule that should be kept....captoes, wholecuts, or opera shoes.

Why such love for the cap toe and no mention of a plaintoe? My preferred order would be:

1. Calf opera pump;
2. Patent opera pump;
3. Patent plain toe;
4. Patent cap toe;
5. Patent wholecut (I'm not sure I've ever actually seen one...);
6. Calf cap toe;
7. Calf wholecut;
8. Calf plain toe.

Monks would be pretty far down my list, but if they were the only shoe I had in black, and needed them in a pinch, I might do it.

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I think a nice pair of monks would look nice. Black tie is all about rules to many, true, but that's not what it's about. Black tie is about line and contrast. As long as a variation preserves that, it works. Midnight blue is a classic variation- it preserves the line and the contrast. Red bowties once were popular. They don't work, since they draw attention away from the line and screw with the stark contrast. Plenty of other examples too- shined calf instead of patent, for example. Doesn't change the whole outfit appreciably.

So, the test for a black tie modification would be how well it works with the overall whole. Sleek black monks, nicely polished, won't be appreciably different from formal pumps or a plaintoe oxford.

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
^^ boy you gots small footies! ;-)

I'm not much of a stickler for 'the rules' but this is one of those ones I'll abide by a little. I don't go full opera pump, but a double monk IMO is a little too casual.

anginaprinzmetal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nope. With a tux either oxfords or alternatively you might able to pull off loafers. All in black, same leather, no mixing IMHO.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads