• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

John Lobb bespoke model Amiel or Gaziano laser wingtip?

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Guys .....one question....

Between a John Lobb paris bespoke wintip model ,the Amiel ,and a Gaziano&Girling one ,what will be your choice?

I do need your highly partisan and emotionally charged thoughts on that question.....

I'm not good enough in IT to do a poll but your advice will be appreciated...

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
The G&G looks more interesting to me. However, it sounds like you really want to try Lobb Paris for something. Get the Gaziano now and save up for something else at Lobb.

stilmacher

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
LOBB for looks. G&G for quality. One of the Parisian makers (Gomez, Aubercy, Corthay) for both!

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You made a valid point when you did point out that my desire for JLB shoes can unfortunately influence my judgement....
We all have some desire to get some token objects despite some obvious shortcomings...

On an impartial basis ,i do prefer the Gaziano one and i'm already a customer....
Also ,going to London is cheaper and easier than going to Paris...

That is why i do like asking you guys because you do give me an impartial or even partial judgement ,pointing out some dark corners of my desire...
I do trust your vision better than mine sometimes...

I also want at one point a pair of Gomez and Corthay later on....

Kuro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by lasbar
We all have some desire to get some token objects despite some obvious shortcomings...

Very true, hence my green Corthays! I suggest the G&G because while I've seen the Lobb at the Madison Avenue shop and it is very nice, IMHO for the price you are going to pay for Lobb bespoke you need to absolutely love it to the point where nothing else will do.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kuro
, IMHO for the price you are going to pay for Lobb bespoke you need to absolutely love it to the point where nothing else will do.

I get the feeling the OP feels that nothing else will do, at least not to slake his curiosity.

Lazenby: Why not get Delos to burn the "Lobb" name on his shoetrees for you? Then it would be just like Lobb, only with a better try-on.

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like the Lobb quite a bit better than the G&G. The laser etching makes the G&G look cheap to me.

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I'm not that bothered by the Lobb sign on the sole but i did think that JLP was still a very good workshop ,renowed through the world...

I'm not a brand ***** but even Delos is going on about the John Lobb worshop where he used to work himself with so many others (Corthay and also Dimitri Gomez)...

i do love the look of the Amiel anyway ut the Gaziano is more fashion forward...
My only rserve is the laser because i do not want it to look cheap in any ways....

Wait and see....

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
Lazenby: Why not get Delos to burn the "Lobb" name on his shoetrees for you? Then it would be just like Lobb, only with a better try-on.

I knew, you would bring that up.... and I agree.

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
I got the Lobb Paris itch a long time ago, and eventually scratched it. At north of $5K these days, the itch is managable with ointments and other less expensive treatments.

Agree about Delos (or Gomez).

Demeter

Reaction score
Isn't there a similar style but without the laser that G&G makes? I can't seem to find my catalog at the moment, but I seem to remember something along those lines. Otherwise, do an MTM with G&G and it'll be close to the price of a Lobb RTW. At least, last I checked
wink.gif

lasbar

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I do not have the John Lobb itch but i thought about tip-top quality...
I'm a bit of a bohemian transient buyer and i do love to have a bit of everything...

I do own some Delos and Gaziano and iwas thinking trying something different and new....Gomez,Corthay or JLP....

My heart is going to the Gaziano model on aesthetic ground.....
I 'm going in october to have a look at the babies in october and i will tell you then...

I do want to buy a pair of wingtip or austerity brogue and i did find the Amiel model quite simple and balanced...

Omegablogger

Reaction score
I have the Lobb Tilbury with the laser etching, I find it uninspiring. Fortunately, for me, it almost vanishes with a few polishings.

>I'm a bit of a bohemian transient buyer and i do love to have a bit of everything...

Then Lobb is the only sensible choice.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads