• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Hi, we have updated our Terms of Service and Privacy Policy in anticipation of the upcoming new Calfornia laws, the CCPA. If you are a resident of California, these rights pertain to you. Thanks - Styleforum Team.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

John Lobb Artisan series "Henys" model cheaper alternative

dauster

Reaction score
Hi, I am new to the forum and have been really enjoying reading it over the last couple of weeks (currently live in San Francisco).
I am looking for a loafer that looks similar to the one John Lobb (Paris) offers as part of their bespoke program, but they don't have anything close to that in RTW or MTO (already asked). And I don't want to spend $8,500 for my first bespoke pair. Apparently afterwards it gets cheaper approx. $6,500 - still too expensive. Willing to spend $2,000 though. The only somewhat similar shoe I found is from St Crispin but I never tried any shoes from them and they don't have stores that carry them in the Bay. Also they still have not reached back out about returns/ shipping costs (wrote an email 2 weeks ago) etc since they are shipping from Austria I believe.
IMG_2538.jpg

haloitsme

Reaction score
Another option from Georg Materna, Vienna:

http://materna-schuhe.at/en/masterpieces

May only be bespoke
I love materna, they don’t charge for wood-form extra. Nice stuff, as good as the neighbor. Arround 1200-1600€. But they are not real artists, in my opinion. But very good classic stuff.

But if you want to go full banana in Vienna ; go Scheer gmbh, ~5k/pair.

Bic Pentameter

Reaction score
You definately can order a similar model from Carmina. I have a pair made by Carmina in shell cordovan.
Koji Suzuki made a version in green calf for me too.

Bic

dauster

Reaction score
Thank you all for the suggestions, especially the Carmina suggestions is great. Most likely I will go with the GG Bates loafer though, also GC has a good option...

GG bates loafer.jpg

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How wide do you like your leg opening on your trousers?

• 7”

Votes: 48 16.2%
  • 7.5”

Votes: 103 34.7%
  • 8”

Votes: 89 30.0%
  • 8.5”

Votes: 33 11.1%
  • 9”

Votes: 12 4.0%
  • 9.5”

Votes: 7 2.4%