• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
General consensus on JL shoes if you have 'average - normal' feet:

1. Take one size down from your US size (i.e. 7.5 US = 6.5 UK)
2. Another caveat - my Philip II and City II, both same size (6.5 UK) same last but fit differently. The Philip II fits much tighter all around, no idea why.

sforum1

Reaction score
General consensus on JL shoes if you have 'average - normal' feet:

1. Take one size down from your US size (i.e. 7.5 US = 6.5 UK)
2. Another caveat - my Philip II and City II, both same size (6.5 UK) same last but fit differently. The Philip II fits much tighter all around, no idea why.
Exactly the same experience. City II pair fit well, Philip II I went for the same size but was really really tight. They simply would not fit, I had to return them and get an F width. I think this has to do with the construction, the Philipp II seems to have more shape to it, overall feels a lot more solid.

Then I also bought the Becketts (also from the Prestige line) and the exact same thing happened. Also very tight and had to go up half a size since it was not available in F width.

THEN, I wanted another City II pair in a different color and went with the same size as my first City pair. And it fit just as well as the first pair.

papado

Reaction score
Has anyone with a low-er instep found they had to size down significantly on the Lopez loafer? I'm normally a UK10E with JLP and as I have a slightly lower instep I have some room over instep and the heel is a tad large but still a good fit. I purchased a pair of Lopez in 10E and they were comically large! I ended up returning and as Cettire only had a UK9 so I said screw it and ordered them--turns out these are practically a perfect fit out of the box with minimal heel movement.

Biogentic

Reaction score
Exactly the same experience. City II pair fit well, Philip II I went for the same size but was really really tight. They simply would not fit, I had to return them and get an F width. I think this has to do with the construction, the Philipp II seems to have more shape to it, overall feels a lot more solid.

Then I also bought the Becketts (also from the Prestige line) and the exact same thing happened. Also very tight and had to go up half a size since it was not available in F width.

THEN, I wanted another City II pair in a different color and went with the same size as my first City pair. And it fit just as well as the first pair.
which means to say if i buy UK8 for the chapel, i should get the phillp ii in UK8.5? I really like the Phillip II but so worry, it cant fit

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any idea on 8000 last versus 7000 last fit the prestige shoes? I’m also interested in chapel but afraid of the sizing since my Phillip II is already a bit tight all over at 6.5.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I ended up getting them for 2000 USD, which I thought was reasonable given that's how much a pair of Prestige line John Lobbs cost.
Hope they end up fitting you. But a little curious what John Lobb Paris’ cost has to do with a John Lobb St. James bespoke pair.

Biogentic

Reaction score
I am a US9, ordered the chapel uk 8, confident that it should fit me. will share pic once it arrives
I have also chanced upon a William ii in new standard at a fairly good price. This is different from the normal William and comes with 2.5 inch sole and a larger 6mm welt. I am wondering anyone got experience with the 0015 last? i ordered UK size 8 too but worried it may be too big for me. For william shoes is it size down 1.5 from US size or still stick with 1 full size down from US?

puffy

Reaction score
I actually just got a pair of the new 7000 last trees today for my Phillip II’s which are older (they have the old JL rubber heel insert). The shoes are a uk 11.5 and the trees from Skoaktiebolaget are uk11, they recommend those for size 11-11.5. I was actually pleased with how well the trees pack out the vamp of the shoe, and didn’t find them to be undersized. Would be curious as to what others have to say about their experiences though.
Played around with the new JL shoe trees in various JL lasts and come to the conclusion they're about 1cm shorter than the older JL trees, meaning they don't really do a great job...

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
I am a US9, ordered the chapel uk 8, confident that it should fit me. will share pic once it arrives
I have also chanced upon a William ii in new standard at a fairly good price. This is different from the normal William and comes with 2.5 inch sole and a larger 6mm welt. I am wondering anyone got experience with the 0015 last? i ordered UK size 8 too but worried it may be too big for me. For william shoes is it size down 1.5 from US size or still stick with 1 full size down from US?

My William is TTS. 1 full size smaller than US.

Biogentic

Reaction score
The William in the 9795 LAST does look sleeker and nicer. Is the 0015 last appropriate for business casual outfit? Anyone seen it in real life? Is the 6mm welt an ugly eye sore?

0015 LAST (NEW PRODUCT)
279854le__william_new_standard_black_calf_above_2.jpg

A contemporary rounded toe last, with a sophisticated, strong silhouette.

9795 LAST
william_black_calf_above_2.jpg

This last developed specifically for buckle shoes has a rounded and elongated toe

JustPullHarder

Reaction score
9795. I think most of the difference in that picture is due to the wider welt. The William is an inherently casual shoe imo.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The William in the 9795 LAST does look sleeker and nicer. Is the 0015 last appropriate for business casual outfit? Anyone seen it in real life? Is the 6mm welt an ugly eye sore?

0015 LAST (NEW PRODUCT)
View attachment 1633112
A contemporary rounded toe last, with a sophisticated, strong silhouette.

9795 LAST
View attachment 1633111
This last developed specifically for buckle shoes has a rounded and elongated toe
I tried once the William on the 0015 last and I think it will work well with a grained leather and more casual combo. Doesn't look as great in pics as it is in real life.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads