• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MontyLo

Reaction score
JL Shoe Trees: anyone compared older ones to the newer? The newer ones I find a lot smaller than trees that are 5+ years old. Newer ones hardly pushes the leather back out.

I actually just got a pair of the new 7000 last trees today for my Phillip II’s which are older (they have the old JL rubber heel insert). The shoes are a uk 11.5 and the trees from Skoaktiebolaget are uk11, they recommend those for size 11-11.5. I was actually pleased with how well the trees pack out the vamp of the shoe, and didn’t find them to be undersized. Would be curious as to what others have to say about their experiences though.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The price of the shoes is coming out to about 2K not 3K, but I think the principles noted still apply.
Ah figured you were using USD. 2500 euro plus 80 shipping gets you to like $3,100 US

Barry Lau

Reaction score
I am also aiming on the chapel.. but quite wary to order from cettire too but I can recognise that the stock should be from the below store. You can notice various models and size available in the website match with cettire but still wonder to go ahead

Hi Biogentic,

After having realized from @papado that the ordered shoes are in E width, I can wait no more but finally pulled my trigger at Cettire on a pair of museum brown chapel at UK5...
The shoes are shipped from Italy, after order i checked the website you're suspecting, the UK5 stock was gone too ... somewhat i believe they are really the underlying supplier!

Jazzmenco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
After several pages of "conversation" It's time to post an actual photo. :rimshot:
20160426_133721.jpg

Biogentic

Reaction score
Hi Biogentic,

After having realized from @papado that the ordered shoes are in E width, I can wait no more but finally pulled my trigger at Cettire on a pair of museum brown chapel at UK5...
The shoes are shipped from Italy, after order i checked the website you're suspecting, the UK5 stock was gone too ... somewhat i believe they are really the underlying supplier!
Great.. I would want to pull the trigger soon… is this a very good price? This would be my first John Lobb shoes… I am a US9 and I would be a UK8.5/9 E in Edward green 82 last… I should be ordering UK8 for the chapel?

Barry Lau

Reaction score
Great.. I would want to pull the trigger soon… is this a very good price? This would be my first John Lobb shoes… I am a US9 and I would be a UK8.5/9 E in Edward green 82 last… I should be ordering UK8 for the chapel?

For US980 it will be around half of the original price. it’s a good price for you to purchase your first pair of JLP.
However for the sizing issue, I personally have no experience with EG shoes so I cannot compare them. What I can tell is Chapel is in 8000 last (squared) and the room in toe area is not as generous as the 7000 last.

Other gentlemen here may be able to advice you with the comparison of EG 82 last. Good luck!

Biogentic

Reaction score
Thanks, I will proceed to order the chapel then. In anyway, the JL City 2 is not really worth it? I need an oxford shoes and want the Phillip 2 badly but only in UK8.5 is available and worry it would be abit loose for me. Is oxford shoes ok to get half a size larger?

Barry Lau

Reaction score
Thanks, I will proceed to order the chapel then. In anyway, the JL City 2 is not really worth it? I need an oxford shoes and want the Phillip 2 badly but only in UK8.5 is available and worry it would be abit loose for me. Is oxford shoes ok to get half a size larger?

Both Philip and City are in 7000 last.
IMO 7000 fits more generously than 8000(someone will say 8000 can be half-sized smaller than 7000, so if you wear UK8 in 8000last the right direction is to try UK7.5 for 7000 last, if not UK8 as well).

But one feels that half sized larger is acceptable on Oxford since he will have shoelaces to tighten the shoes. But the truth is the half sized difference is there. The shoes can be bit longer for your foot.
Anyway, it’s up to the person who wears the shoes. If you’re ok then go ahead. Otherwise I would recommend you try your chapel in right size first.

Biogentic

Reaction score
Both Philip and City are in 7000 last.
IMO 7000 fits more generously than 8000(someone will say 8000 can be half-sized smaller than 7000, so if you wear UK8 in 8000last the right direction is to try UK7.5 for 7000 last, if not UK8 as well).

But one feels that half sized larger is acceptable on Oxford since he will have shoelaces to tighten the shoes. But the truth is the half sized difference is there. The shoes can be bit longer for your foot.
Anyway, it’s up to the person who wears the shoes. If you’re ok then go ahead. Otherwise I would recommend you try your chapel in right size first.
Thanks for the explanation. So if I wear Uk8 for the chapel, it would be wise to go for Uk7.5 for city ii since 7000 is a more generous last? Is there a big difference in term of quality between prestige and the classic line?

Deeky

Reaction score
DISCLAIMER: I do not own any JLs as of now, just seen/handled them in person.

IMO, yes. The prestige is significantly better overall, from leather to make. However, I think both the classic and prestige lines are very overpriced at MSRP and a significant part of that goes towards the JL name. I personally don't think the classic line is better than Vass (perhaps the QC is better), but comes in at about twice the price. The Prestige line comes in way higher than AM RTW, but the quality is at most equal.

That said, I suppose there is value in JL's lasts because they are very elegant without looking staid. And if you like a last from a particular maker, most of the time you don't really have a choice but to just pay up for it because replication in my experience has never worked out well

Last edited:

Barry Lau

Reaction score
Honestly I also agree that MSRP of JLP is unreasonably high. That’s why I buy them only when on discount (I used to buy my JLP from official JLP store when it has selected styles for 50% off the MSRP semiannually and from online stores like Cettire).
There are plenty of good shoemakers out there, including Vass and AM.
Unluckily I only have a pair of (unworn due to wrong last) Vass and no AM. So I cannot compare between JLP with the two.

However, JLP leather is the best among all the brands I have (Bontoni, Alden, Carmina, C&J and some others). They just feel butter soft.

Back to Biogentic question, “So if I wear Uk8 for the chapel, it would be wise to go for Uk7.5 for city ii since 7000 is a more generous last?” Yes or no. Some people wear half size smaller with 7000, while some wear the same size.

Regarding quality, leather-wise in both classic and prestige lines are equally top notched to me. Prestige might be slightly better. Prestige comes with a lasted shoe tree (not in classic) which worth at least $150. Prestige has a more refined edge and outsole.

And lastly I want to echo Deeky that the major lasts (7/8000) are elegant. But to me, some JLP styles like Chapel are just unique and I cannot resist to own more than one pair…

Last edited:

Biogentic

Reaction score
Thanks for your insight.. what about st crisp shoes? Any experience? Chanced upon Cavour website and it has sales on-going now..

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I take the 7000 last tts or a half size down from EG's 82 last. I would not be able to size another half down as one member commented

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads