• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nub915

Reaction score
They only made 2 pairs of each size for a total of 20 pairs. I bought the last 7, and 7.5 was bought by a dear friend (last pair of that). Leather quality and overall finishing is the best I’ve ever seen in a shoe. I’ve acquired 7 pairs of Lobbs in the past 2.5 years

I will not get toe plates with anyone other than Lobb. My other pair of bespoke lobbs that were resoled in Paris had the toe plates placed there. I live in Los Angeles so not sure if there is even a local cobbler qualified to work on handmade shoes like this.

John Lobb told me they would not send the shoes back to Paris for the toe plates. They have a local cobbler in NYC that they use for these types of jobs.

do you all use saphir products or stick to John lobb branded polishes and wax?

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Bom Trady I would think they would double up on the popular sizes. Finding 2 size 6 may take some effort.

Kivi D

Reaction score
Any of you gents have a box and bags you don’t need/want? I reached out to JL and they are refusing to send me replacement ones.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any of you gents have a box and bags you don’t need/want? I reached out to JL and they are refusing to send me replacement ones.
As someone who doesn’t keep bags and boxes as a rule, when i moved, i just went down to my local stockiest, with whom i have a pretty good relationship, and they threw dozens of bags my way (EG and JL). (Just an exercise in protecting my polishing efforts for the move.)

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They only made 2 pairs of each size for a total of 20 pairs. I bought the last 7, and 7.5 was bought by a dear friend (last pair of that). Leather quality and overall finishing is the best I’ve ever seen in a shoe. I’ve acquired 7 pairs of Lobbs in the past 2.5 years

I will not get toe plates with anyone other than Lobb. My other pair of bespoke lobbs that were resoled in Paris had the toe plates placed there. I live in Los Angeles so not sure if there is even a local cobbler qualified to work on handmade shoes like this.

John Lobb told me they would not send the shoes back to Paris for the toe plates. They have a local cobbler in NYC that they use for these types of jobs.

do you all use saphir products or stick to John lobb branded polishes and wax?

I got the other pair of 7.5. I use Saphir products for th emost part. They did JLP did throw in some polish when I bought their St. Crispin 2020 which I use, but I like the Saphir products.

Starlito

Reaction score
How would you describe their sizing ? I can see they are on the 7000 last. Are they as forgiving as the city 2 ?

BomTrady

Reaction score
Fits a little tighter in my opinion...
The Lobb people told me it's a modified 7000 designed to be sleeker and tighter (i.e, it has a higher heel than most Lobbs). It's a pretty good fit for me. 'Great finish and top-level leather. If you call Lobb NY, they'll send you a fedex label for you to send to NY to get toe plates. They'll be happy to do in store. It takes less than a week. Now, only if I had someplace to go...

image0.jpeg
image1.jpeg
image2.jpeg
image3.jpeg
image4.jpeg
image5.jpeg
image6.jpeg

dahl5yankees

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I just handled these JL Alder boots at the store, they felt incredible light which is good but I am wondering about construction / quality - $2k for boots is hefty so was wondering if anyone here owns them?
View attachment 1550692

I wore a pair for a winter, last year. Had a chance to buy an unbranded pair on Ebay for $400
new. They were 1/2 size too small, I like room in the winter. Nice boot, would've kept but snug.
As much as I collect and love John Lobb shoes, I'd probably buy EG Galway first.

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Lobb people told me it's a modified 7000 designed to be sleeker and tighter (i.e, it has a higher heel than most Lobbs). It's a pretty good fit for me. 'Great finish and top-level leather. If you call Lobb NY, they'll send you a fedex label for you to send to NY to get toe plates. They'll be happy to do in store. It takes less than a week. Now, only if I had someplace to go...

View attachment 1566126 View attachment 1566127 View attachment 1566128 View attachment 1566129 View attachment 1566130 View attachment 1566131 View attachment 1566132

Congrats! and I sympathise!

AWu

Reaction score
how exactly to get these?

View attachment 1566126 View attachment 1566127 View attachment 1566128 View attachment 1566129 View attachment 1566130 View attachment 1566131 View attachment 1566132

nub915

Reaction score
JLP website (which ships out of NY) or, if possible, you can visit the NY shop.
Same...gents...I work in a heavily impacted hospital in CA so have no where to really wear the shoes yet. The Lobb folks sent me a FedEx return label to get metal toe plates on the shoes but I wanted to make a trip out of visiting the NYC store and getting my two other pairs of RTW Lobbs also some plates.

Moosicpa your pics pushed me over the edge. The Madison 20 is a special shoe. I lost my grandfather to a long battle with COVID I. January. We were very very close....we had to wait a month and a half for the funeral given the huge caseload in CA in the past month. Funeral was today. Shoe shining and this forum have really helped me escape the brutal reality of our time. I wish I could share some of my latest lobb additions with him as he’d greatly appreciate it. My grandfather was really into fine fashion, suits,...he showed me how to shine my first pair of suits and taught me trigonometry and algebra...and of course about being a gentleman.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads