• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sforum1

Reaction score
View attachment 1508253

Bespoke JLP today. Lately whenever I dress up, I’ve been grabbing the bespoke shoes over anything else. I have like 15 other pairs of JLP, Corthay, and 1 G&G that hardly ever get worn now.
Why are JL bespoke always (actually not always but most of the time) so bulbous. Somehow they look too short and very wide, not sure what but something makes them very unattractive to me. And I don’t think it’s really reflective of the feet wearing them. The same feet could fit into a much sleeker and more elegant last.

Anyone else knows what I’m talking about?

Like as soon as I saw this pic, I knew it was a bespoke JL pair and, no, of course it was not because I detected its exceptional quality.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why are JL bespoke always (actually not always but most of the time) so bulbous. Somehow they look too short and very wide, not sure what but something makes them very unattractive to me. And I don’t think it’s really reflective of the feet wearing them. The same feet could fit into a much sleeker and more elegant last.

Anyone else knows what I’m talking about?
I actually have short wide feet. JLP doesn't really have a house style but if you don't specify you want an elongated last. they default to making a smaller shoe.

sforum1

Reaction score
I actually have short wide feet. JLP doesn't really have a house style but if you don't specify you want an elongated last. they default to making a smaller shoe.
That makes sense. I have seen this with Cleverley bespoke too, but not as often. Side by side with “regular” shoes they look extremely short and you would never think in a million years that the same feet would be able to fit in both pairs, but you would be wrong. They 2 pairs are made for the same feet. JL’s clients then must prefer this style. Or maybe this is what shoes are supposed to look like but we got used to today’s super elongated RTW lasts, making shoes like your pair look different.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That makes sense. I have seen this with Cleverley bespoke too, but not as often. Side by side with “regular” shoes they look extremely short and you would never think in a million years that the same feet would be able to fit in both pairs, but you would be wrong. They 2 pairs are made for the same feet. JL’s clients then must prefer this style. Or maybe this is what shoes are supposed to look like but we got used to today’s super elongated RTW lasts, making shoes like your pair look different.
It's more that we've gotten used to the elongated look of RTW. If I compare my bespoke JL to my RTW, the bespoke shoe is slightly wider but much shorter. Normally what happens in my RTW, is my foot will overhang on the sides of the shoes when I stand due to the shoe being a little too narrow. On the bespoke pair, this doesn't happen. The sole basically covers my whole foot.

bootyboy

Reaction score

Jazzmenco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Made in Italy Lobb loafers. Don't really count as Lobb's but still pretty cool.
20201221_122538.jpg 20201221_122619.jpg

Jazzmenco

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Fellow Lobb lovers, found these on eBay for $390, look to be in very good condition. They have minimal creasing even without trees in them. They went through one auction cycle and nobody bid. I'm retired and don't need more shoes but still It was all I could do not to snipe them in the last seconds. Don't know if I can resist again. Give these some love and a mirror shine on the toe and they'll look like new.

I watched these go through four - 7 day auction cycles without any bidders. In fairness the seller was an amateur and posted terrible photos. I "tuned in" at the last minutes of the fourth cycle and could not resist. They were marked down to $329. They are in excellent condition. I put some cedar trees in them and gave them the Saphir treatment. They look like new. These are the William, from the golden age of Lobb, just outstanding shoes. I'm waiting for my mirror gloss to show up so I can give the caps a little more shine. First photo is as arrived and the rest is after the "treatment" It's raining today will post some "in the wild shots" as soon as it dries up.
20201226_133006.jpg
20201228_112451.jpg
20201228_112338.jpg
20201228_105738.jpg
20201228_105749.jpg

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I watched these go through four - 7 day auction cycles without any bidders. In fairness the seller was an amateur and posted terrible photos. I "tuned in" at the last minutes of the fourth cycle and could not resist. They were marked down to $329. They are in excellent condition. I put some cedar trees in them and gave them the Saphir treatment. They look like new. These are
the William, from the golden age of Lobb, just outstanding shoes. I'm waiting for my mirror gloss to show up so I can give the caps a little more shine. First photo is as arrived and the rest is after the "treatment" It's raining today will post some "in the wild shots" as soon as it dries up. View attachment 1524941 View attachment 1524943 View attachment 1524944 View attachment 1524946 View attachment 1524947
Wow, excellent score!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads