• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sforum1

Reaction score
Go get yourself a brand spanking new pair like I did for the same price you'll pay for the trees. (And btw, are you sure those trees will fit better than even a completely generic pair? Think again.)

723C0E77-C55E-4F89-B956-7D66EB2BBE5C.jpeg

Last edited:

nub915

Reaction score
I have two brand new pairs of John Lobb City IIs.

this bespoke pair was given to me and it fits
Go get yourself a brand spanking new pair like I did for the same price you'll pay for the trees. (And btw, are you sure those trees will fit better than even a completely generic pair? Think again.)

View attachment 1454562
Already have two brand new pairs of Lobbs in black and dark brown with lobb shoe trees.

this bespoke pair was given to me. I love what they look like...see my earlier post for the pics.
I just want to resole them.

Attachments

• DD0F8EF9-350C-4894-B732-1EEA493DF84A.jpeg
    DD0F8EF9-350C-4894-B732-1EEA493DF84A.jpeg
    116 KB · Views: 157
  • 886696D8-32C5-4A91-9DAB-2F282B8A9686.jpeg
    886696D8-32C5-4A91-9DAB-2F282B8A9686.jpeg
    158.9 KB · Views: 164

nub915

Reaction score
Also bespoke JLs are hand welted. I am a huge admirer of the historical significance of a company like JL and think JLP makes the best shoes in the world.

I am still kind of split on getting the trees, leaning towards getting them.

sforum1

Reaction score
I have two brand new pairs of John Lobb City IIs.

this bespoke pair was given to me and it fits

Already have two brand new pairs of Lobbs in black and dark brown with lobb shoe trees.

this bespoke pair was given to me. I love what they look like...see my earlier post for the pics.
I just want to resole them.
actually I like how they look too. And this is a question for everyone. What I noticed with bespoke shoes (not only JL but Cleverley, G&G etc) the lasts are unlike any RTW out there with more often than not the ball of the shoe looking wider than you normally see elsewhere. I am tempted to say that since they are bespoke perhaps it's the client's feet and they are wider in the ball but I don't think so. I'm sure for all bespoke pairs there are existing lasts that are being used as a starting point. Most pairs I see are similar and, to nub915's point, they look nice. For example, if there was an RTW last that looked like these shoes I would pull the trigger immediately, simply because of the way the last looks.

If you go MTO with either of these brands, is it possible to request for the shoes to be built on a bespoke last without the shoes being truly bespoke? I doubt it but I never asked.

Last edited:

nub915

Reaction score
actually I like how they look too. And this is a question for everyone. What I noticed with bespoke shoes (not only JL but Cleverley, G&G etc) the lasts are unlike any RTW out there with more often than not the ball of the shoe looking wider than you normally see elsewhere. I am tempted to say that since they are bespoke perhaps it's the client's feet and they are wider in the ball but I don't think so. I'm sure for all bespoke pairs there are existing lasts that are being used as a starting point. Most pairs I see are similar and, to nub915's point, they look nice. For example, if there was an RTW last that looked like these shoes I would pull the trigger immediately, simply because of the way the last looks.

If you go MTO with either of these brands, is it possible to request for the shoes to be built on a bespoke last without the shoes being truly bespoke? I doubt it but I never asked.

I think it’s the waists that are thinner on bespoke shoes that make the ball appear larger. Your shoes are very very nice as well. Thanks for the feedback.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I acquired a pair of bespoke John Lobb Paris black cap toe oxfords. I am getting them resoled as well as getting the sock liners replaced. JLP offers shoe trees for their shoes for an additional 1,000 dollars. Do you guys think this is worth it at this price.
no - I am assuming you bought them on the cheap and you did not commission them. don't $1k on shoe trees...

Zaos1

Reaction score
I dont own any JL, but i am a proud owner of other english and italian brands, and IMO i dont feel the same love in my pre owned shoes like with my brand new shoes ... with the brand new Shoes i feel more love and apretiation, not just because i paid more, is more because They are with me since the Beginning of his life, They born with me and They are going to get Old with me, and i wil do everyrhing in Can for extend his life as long as possible. :cool2:

bluebaker

Reaction score
Just received my new JL Elm, which I like pretty much,
I'm just wondering about the finish and the shine - as you can see, the shine is more on the shoe cap than behind on both shoes. Is this part of the finish?
IMG_0933.jpeg

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just received my new JL Elm, which I like pretty much,
I'm just wondering about the finish and the shine - as you can see, the shine is more on the shoe cap than behind on both shoes. Is this part of the finish? View attachment 1456351
Yeap, you don't want that shine at where the creases are, otherwise the wax will crack and will show some white on the creases.

bluebaker

Reaction score
Yeap, you don't want that shine at where the creases are, otherwise the wax will crack and will show some white on the creases.
But, allow me the question, the just posted picture of the Beckets of nub915 do not have it.

Does it depend on the model?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads