• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

xonelsiwel

Reaction score
Damnit! I was all psyched up to join the John Lobb fan club, and then my first pair arrived from Italist like this...
Any ever seen anything like this before on theirs or any new shoe? Not sure of it should be a strike against the vendor or JL for letting these out of the factory in the first place :(

very odd to me. do you know who the original vendor was? any tags? as i understand italist is sourcing from many independent outlets.

what style is this? can you post more photos?

ovlov

Reaction score
very odd to me. do you know who the original vendor was? any tags? as i understand italist is sourcing from many independent outlets.

what style is this? can you post more photos?
They are City 2. There are a few other imperfections on the soles and edges but the uppers are clean. I'll try and post more pics when i get home

puffy

Reaction score
They are City 2. There are a few other imperfections on the soles and edges but the uppers are clean. I'll try and post more pics when i get home
City II dark brown museum?

Italist seems to have sourced a ton of them....

I'd request a refund for that mess. I know they sell them as BNIB and not stamped R.

Saying that the JL quality seems to have come down a bit, certainly since I started wearing them almost 20 years ago. Guess they've fired up production a lot.

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Forget about refunds with Italist if you're in teh States. you need to:

1. pay for return shipping
2. pay for customs INTO italy
3. other fees that they will just tack on to your return

oh and apparently if you yourself didn't SIGN for the item, you are not eligible for a refund.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Damnit! I was all psyched up to join the John Lobb fan club, and then my first pair arrived from Italist like this...
Any ever seen anything like this before on theirs or any new shoe? Not sure of it should be a strike against the vendor or JL for letting these out of the factory in the first place :(
I will definitely return those or ask for a discount.

seanpang

Reaction score
I got a pair of JL City ii in Dark Brown Museum calf from Italist recently. Besides some creasing on the upper(see pic 5), I think generally there is no quality issues with the shoes.

However, they seems a little bit too dark to me. Do you guys think it is normal for their Dark Brown Museum to be this dark? Should I return the pair?

unnamed.jpg
unnamed-2.jpg
unnamed-3.jpg
unnamed-4.jpg
unnamed-5.jpg

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got a pair of JL City ii in Dark Brown Museum calf from Italist recently. Besides some creasing on the upper(see pic 5), I think generally there is no quality issues with the shoes.

However, they seems a little bit too dark to me. Do you guys think it is normal for their Dark Brown Museum to be this dark? Should I return the pair?

View attachment 1435818 View attachment 1435819 View attachment 1435820 View attachment 1435821 View attachment 1435822
My one pair of dark brown museum calf is similar to yours. It's very dark. My guess is that it's due to variation in the color. I've seen this a few times with this color.

seanpang

Reaction score
My one pair of dark brown museum calf is similar to yours. It's very dark. My guess is that it's due to variation in the color. I've seen this a few times with this color.
where did you get yours? from JL retail stores or also from Italist?

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
where did you get yours? from JL retail stores or also from Italist?
Neiman Marcus about 10 years ago. I ordered it since they didn't have it in stock and took about 4 months to receive.

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you good sir. Do you know how to make it lighter?
You can do what the Alden people in the Alden thread do with their color 8 shell. They leave it out in the window and let the sun age it.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

View attachment 1435818 View attachment 1435819 View attachment 1435820 View attachment 1435821 View attachment 1435822
These look great to me and certainly dark brown. I think their mid brown is more like the parisian brown.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads