• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

jischwar

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Birthday combo.

Happy birthday!

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
View attachment 1420166
After picking up another Patek, was invited to try it out at local stockist... Though it finally has a proprietary movement, it is still too bulky and too expensive.
I have a big wrist so for me it was perfect but I can see how some PP purist have trouble with the size... not going to be able to buy it in my lifetime anyway...

papado

Reaction score
I never hear back when contacting JL on [email protected] - anyone else has this issue?

They're currently waiving by request fees so wanted to order a few pairs... if only they'd reply.

I emailed the general customer service email to see when the sale would end a few days ago and nothing but *crickets*.

I emailed the NYC store and have been getting replies as one would expect (they even coordinated with other locations to help me out!). I would suggest giving them a call or email and I'm sure you'll get what you need.

Edmund K

Reaction score
I'm planning to get a double monks William. Wonder which last is nicer looking....

0015 LAST (NEW PRODUCT)
279854le__william_new_standard_black_calf_above_2_4.jpg

A contemporary rounded toe last, with a sophisticated, strong silhouette.

9795 LAST
william_black_calf_above_2_30.jpg

This last developed specifically for buckle shoes has a rounded and elongated toe

Shoegazer17

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the John Lob MTO program would have the ability to take one of the non-prestige models and make it into a prestige model? The one I have in mind is the Saunton and would love to get this exact same model in the prestige version. Thanks!

Attachments

• John-Lobb-Saunton-Parisian-Brown-Museum-Calf-8695-Stock-Mood.jpg
    John-Lobb-Saunton-Parisian-Brown-Museum-Calf-8695-Stock-Mood.jpg
    292.6 KB · Views: 246

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I could never get the 9795 last work for me. The heel was always slipping in my regular John Lobb size. It felt shallow as well. Tried with the half size smaller, however it was too tight/short. Also, the buckles doesn't provide as much support in adjusting the fit as laces. Double monks are in "passe" phase these days in my book. They had a great comeback a few years ago, but now they don't seem to be as popular or interesting.

dauster

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if the John Lob MTO program would have the ability to take one of the non-prestige models and make it into a prestige model? The one I have in mind is the Saunton and would love to get this exact same model in the prestige version. Thanks!
the real questions is do you want to pay 8k for that or do they now have a true MTM non-bespoke option ?

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm having some trouble deciding guys, would you spend the money for a pair of John Lobbs or would you go for Crockett Jones Handgrade?

Models i'm looking at specifically are the Phillip II vs something comparable from CJ...

papado

Reaction score
the real questions is do you want to pay 8k for that or do they now have a true MTM non-bespoke option ?

They have their 'by request' line which allows you to order from a catalog of models (including some older models) in different combinations of leathers and soles which are dependent on model (e.g. you can't order every shoe in any leather for some odd reason, same with soles...). Last time I looked there was not an option to put a prestige sole/finishing on it but it probably doesn't hurt to ask. I have a pair of monks which when they get resoled I'd love to see if I can get the prestige sole on it...

I'm having some trouble deciding guys, would you spend the money for a pair of John Lobbs or would you go for Crockett Jones Handgrade?

Models i'm looking at specifically are the Phillip II vs something comparable from CJ...

Have you confirmed both fit you? For instance I've found my instep is a little low and CJ oxfords (especially the hangrade lasts) have way too much instep room and I can't even wear them :(

If money is not really an object, I would choose the Philip II over CJ every single time. It's one of my favorite silhouettes on a great dress last with great finishing. The slightly more pronounced (higher) heel and tight waist of the prestige line is one of my favorite things!

For Lobb, If you're in the US, I would suggest ordering from an EU retailer (like forum favorite Skoaktiebolaget) to get a more fair price as opposed to the bloated US 'premium' retail pricing of JLP. There's another forum affiliate in Sweden (The Noble Shoe, I think) which now can order CJ and the ex-vat price for handgrade CJ is ~600 shipped to the US. For that rate you can get 3 CJ for 1 JLP, so choose wisely!

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They have their 'by request' line which allows you to order from a catalog of models (including some older models) in different combinations of leathers and soles which are dependent on model (e.g. you can't order every shoe in any leather for some odd reason, same with soles...). Last time I looked there was not an option to put a prestige sole/finishing on it but it probably doesn't hurt to ask. I have a pair of monks which when they get resoled I'd love to see if I can get the prestige sole on it...

Have you confirmed both fit you? For instance I've found my instep is a little low and CJ oxfords (especially the hangrade lasts) have way too much instep room and I can't even wear them :(

If money is not really an object, I would choose the Philip II over CJ every single time. It's one of my favorite silhouettes on a great dress last with great finishing. The slightly more pronounced (higher) heel and tight waist of the prestige line is one of my favorite things!

For Lobb, If you're in the US, I would suggest ordering from an EU retailer (like forum favorite Skoaktiebolaget) to get a more fair price as opposed to the bloated US 'premium' retail pricing of JLP. There's another forum affiliate in Sweden (The Noble Shoe, I think) which now can order CJ and the ex-vat price for handgrade CJ is ~600 shipped to the US. For that rate you can get 3 CJ for 1 JLP, so choose wisely!
Skoak cannot ship outside EU anymore haha...

I have both JL and CJ shoes. IS there a comparable model of the Phillip II from CJ that you like / recommend? (if I do choose CJ)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads