• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barry Lau

Reaction score
Hi all, I am considering to buy a pair of preowned suede chukka boots. But I have a concern for the sizing as I never own JL suede shoes. Assuming at the same size, will suede shoes fit larger than the smooth calf ? Anyone have experience to share please ? Many thanks !

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I am considering to buy a pair of preowned suede chukka boots. But I have a concern for the sizing as I never own JL suede shoes. Assuming at the same size, will suede shoes fit larger than the smooth calf ? Anyone have experience to share please ? Many thanks !
I have a few suede pairs, including the Romsey on the 8000 last, same size as all other equivalently lasted shoes.

Scuppers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
0FD86F53-C639-4C1F-B8C1-2129AB9445E9.jpeg

in Berry

bengal-stripe

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Just found this and have no idea what to make of it:

www.thisismoney.co.uk

Shoemaker John Lobb goes toe to toe with Hermes over name
The shoemaker alleges Hermes - whose Birkin bags are favoured by the likes of Victoria Beckham (pictured) - is unlawfully using its name and branding, and restricting its ability to trade freely.
www.thisismoney.co.uk
www.thisismoney.co.uk

Seems to me a bit late, almost 45 years after the contract with Hermès and almost 40 years after the ready-to-wear collection bit the market and, as far as I know, JL(London) had received a royalty for every produced RTW pair.

But then, who knows, maybe the contract expires after 50 years and it's only an attempt to get the best possible extension deal.

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
John Lobb lost it's course completely in the past couple of years. I am not sure how they are in still in the business with heavy price increases and funny new styles/ design approach. They are starting to look more and more like an heavily overpriced Church's shoes.

Meyboom

Reaction score
John Lobb lost it's course completely in the past couple of years. I am not sure how they are in still in the business with heavy price increases and funny new styles/ design approach. They are starting to look more and more like an heavily overpriced Church's shoes.
I wouldn't compare them to Church as such, I think JLP has become a shoe brand with a very French feel to it (designs, styling, website...). The French have quite a different approach to quality shoes, with quirky designs and strong patinas etc. Just have a look at Altan Bottier, Caulaincourt, even JM Weston and Corthay. This is indeed miles away from the traditional English brands like CJ, EG, ... It's not really my cup of tea either but there must definitely be a market for them...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads