• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

NewStart

Reaction score
Whoa, have they modernized the Shop? The last photos I was looking showed the FS as a 19th century room ..
The factory shop has moved to a different location, still on the some road though.

They have now imposed stricter security, e.g. you need to ring the bell and show your face before they open the door etc. I nearly thought that they were not open.

Nice collection though.

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
JL always seems to have a lot of loafers in their FS. Not so much shoes like William and City Oxfords. In my size anyway. Would really like to know whats the deal with that. Hope you had a pleasure dealing with Ms. Pauline. Shes a lovely lady working there, always willing to assist.

NewStart

Reaction score
They have quite a few in my size (7.5-8) actually including the gorgeous City II, William II and Phillip II. Shame that they were all in black which I had too many.

Prices are between 300-640 I think

There were 2 members of staff at the time I came (both in my picture). They were very friendly and knowledgable.

Yoshka

Reaction score

Well.... I was completely unfamiliar with Lobb shoes a week ago, but the helpful information here provided an excellent crash course education. I went to the South Coast Lobb store today thinking I would get a Lopez loafer in black, and the main issue was just to select the proper size and rubber vs leather.

However, for better or worse, I developed an interest in some other options from reading this thread, one so I looked at several different styles. When I looked at the Philip 2 in black (pictured above), I was informed that this shoe did not come in a rubber sole as an option, and so that made the rubber vs leather decision simple, and I thought it was the best choice for a dress shoe to wear with a suit and on more formal occasions in particular. The size that fit was 9 EE (GB), and that was in stock. Those are my first Lobb shoes.

Then I asked about what the had in stock with a rubber sole that can be used for more everyday use, perhaps also good for casual. The choice was a Chambord 2 in black. The 9 E was too snug, but the 9.5 E seemed better. I would have liked to try the 9 EE given that this size was best for the Philip 2, but for that I would have to order that size, and so I did not yet make the purchase - still thinking about it. If they had the 9 EE in stock to try, I would have just purchased the one that fit best.

On the Lopez loafers, I liked both the black and the museum brown colors. They did not have the 9 EE, only the 9 E in black, but with the loafer, that size did not seem all that bad. Still, nice to compare and be sure with such an expensive shoe, and so there is a 9 EE in NY that they will get for me to try in comparison to the 9 E. I will get the Lopez once I select the correct size, but it will be a wait until December should I want the brown or black in a rubber sole or the brown in 9 EE. Oh... I was told that if I get the museum brown shoes, I will benefit from a matching belt! That gets expensive.

I did make a Lobb belt purchase yesterday on ebay, but maybe I made a mistake.

http://tinyurl.com/lbn6mzl

When I was at the Lobb store, I figured that the belt would go with my black shoes, but was told it did not, and would best match extremely expensive shoes that are a bit too flashy for my style. Perhaps the belt is more flashy and shiny than I realized. Oh well.

jujujoo11

Reaction score

Well.... I was completely unfamiliar with Lobb shoes a week ago, but the helpful information here provided an excellent crash course education. I went to the South Coast Lobb store today thinking I would get a Lopez loafer in black, and the main issue was just to select the proper size and rubber vs leather.

However, for better or worse, I developed an interest in some other options from reading this thread, one so I looked at several different styles. When I looked at the Philip 2 in black (pictured above), I was informed that this shoe did not come in a rubber sole as an option, and so that made the rubber vs leather decision simple, and I thought it was the best choice for a dress shoe to wear with a suit and on more formal occasions in particular. The size that fit was 9 EE (GB), and that was in stock. Those are my first Lobb shoes.

Then I asked about what the had in stock with a rubber sole that can be used for more everyday use, perhaps also good for casual. The choice was a Chambord 2 in black. The 9 E was too snug, but the 9.5 E seemed better. I would have liked to try the 9 EE given that this size was best for the Philip 2, but for that I would have to order that size, and so I did not yet make the purchase - still thinking about it. If they had the 9 EE in stock to try, I would have just purchased the one that fit best.

On the Lopez loafers, I liked both the black and the museum brown colors. They did not have the 9 EE, only the 9 E in black, but with the loafer, that size did not seem all that bad. Still, nice to compare and be sure with such an expensive shoe, and so there is a 9 EE in NY that they will get for me to try in comparison to the 9 E. I will get the Lopez once I select the correct size, but it will be a wait until December should I want the brown or black in a rubber sole or the brown in 9 EE. Oh... I was told that if I get the museum brown shoes, I will benefit from a matching belt! That gets expensive.

I did make a Lobb belt purchase yesterday on ebay, but maybe I made a mistake.

http://tinyurl.com/lbn6mzl

When I was at the Lobb store, I figured that the belt would go with my black shoes, but was told it did not, and would best match extremely expensive shoes that are a bit too flashy for my style. Perhaps the belt is more flashy and shiny than I realized. Oh well.
Great purchase. My first lobb was a black dress shoes. I believe the Philip 2 is the most balanced in terms of flashy and conservative. That philip if taken well care of should last you 20+ years. I think you should get the Lopez in anything but black now. Maybe a nice museum color, Parisian brown maybe. And if you want a rubber sole on your Lopez you should get it. I handled John Lobb loafers in october sole and I really liked it.

MoosicPa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats on the PhilipII's, classic cap toe.... One on the nicest in my opinion.

NewStart

Reaction score
Guys,

There have been quite a few people sending me messages about buying the shoes from their FS. So I think I just reply to everyone here.

I used to live in Northampton, hence I visit the town one in a while to catch up with old friends and so on.

I am not sure about the next time I am coming there, but likely to be around 1 month from now. So anyone, who are interested in their shoes, please message me the following details.

- Your size
- The model you are after
- The price that you are willing to pay (I think cheapest are the Lopez and there are lots of them but most of the other things would be around 440-480)
- Whereabout do you want the shoes to be sent to (to estimate the cost)

Based on what I saw in the factory, please could I ask you not to be too specific about the colour as I think they may not have too many different colours in stock, especially for the popular model..

Depend on the level of interest, I can try to see if it is something feasible for me to do.

Thanks

dusttruffle

Reaction score
His father like Lobbs... are these?

no other close up except the sole sadly

Last edited:

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not sure - hopefully someone else can chime in with more info. I do like the fact that he's got an "H" for Harry on the soles.

It's worth noting that most of the shoes being discussed in this thread are by John Lobb Paris, which is owned by Hermes.

However, the Lobb shoes worn by Prince Charles are by the original business, John Lobb St James, which is still owned by the descendants of the original John Lobb who started the business in the 1860s.

Lobb St James opened a store in Paris in the early 1900s and sold the Paris business to Hermes in the 1970s, at which point the two became separate businesses.

Last edited:

Butler

Reaction score
His father like Lobbs... are these? no other close up except the sole sadly
I'm not sure - hopefully someone else can chime in with more info. I do like the fact that he's got an "H" for Harry on the soles. It's worth noting that most of the shoes being discussed in this thread are by John Lobb Paris, which is owned by Hermes. However, the Lobb shoes worn by Prince Charles are by the original business, John Lobb St James, which is still owned by the descendants of the original John Lobb who started the business in the 1860s. Lobb St James opened a store in Paris in the early 1900s and sold the Paris business to Hermes in the 1970s, at which point the two became separate businesses.
Prince Harry is not a customer of John Lobb St. James¨s :bigstar:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics