Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

John Lobb Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dddrees, Feb 22, 2013.

1. jujujoo11

jujujoo11 Senior member

Would the claret cream polish darken the shoes? Wouldn't that effect the museum effect?

2. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Claret is lighter than plum, and should not darken the shoes. If you see the claret cream in person, I think you will be surprised how light it looks (I was).

3. jujujoo11

jujujoo11 Senior member

great thanks to hear!!

4. Hirsh

Hirsh Senior member

Good question - I'll ask them at Lobb..

But it's a gorgeous rich navy leather and will make a nice change from my mid box black calf pair, although I'm wearing my Gaziano and Girling brogues a lot these days - Tony Gaziano used to work for Lobb in St James..

I do have a swatch of the leather..I'll dig it out and photograph it for you

Also need to find out when they'll be ready so that I haven't blown all of my money on clothes!!:)

5. Yoshka

Yoshka Member

This is my first post, and thank you to all that have contributed useful information. I live near the Costa Mesa John Lobb location, and just purchased a Lobb belt and am about to purchase my first 1-2 pair of Lobb shoes. I have never spend that much on shoes before. I am planning to get the Lopez loafers in black and am not sure about the 2nd pair, something with shoe laces. I saw shoes with inexpensive rubber soles (Campus) and also a nicer pair with what I am told is called the "October rubber sole". I was told that I could get the Lopez loafers with leather soles now, or the October rubber soles if I am willing to wait (until December for October!). I was advised that the overall construction is Goodyear welt, meaning I can change the sole in the future.

If just talking about comfort when walking, do you think rubber is more comfortable? My own impression is that rubber may be better for comfort as I imagine you get more shock absorption with rubber, and I do not think the appearance is not really all that different unless you are looking at the bottom of the shoes. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

6. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I don't have JL loafers, but every loafer i have has a leather sole, and they are all quite comfortable. I know it's hard to let rubber soles go, especially if it's what you are use to, but give the leather soles a try...

7. senorjon

senorjon Member

I just picked up some stunning John Lobb Hutton's in Misty Pewter from B&S and I was wondering what was the recommendation for caring for/polishing Misty Calf leather? I want to keep the Misty Calf finishing as I believe that adds to the uniqueness of the shoe. I purchased the Pewter wax and cream from JL, but am curious if you guys think this will remove some of the Misty antiquing?

Thanks,
    Jon

8. thebeebs

thebeebs Senior member

The black Lopez demands leather. Nothing is worse than squeaking while you walk around in $1200 business shoes. If you want rubber, get it in a more casual make up.

9. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

I have 2 pairs of Lopez loafers, and the first 2 times I wore them I had a feeling they are shredding my feet and thought just taking them off and return home barefooted. After the initial 3 wear they now fit like a glove. They are hard to break, but once they do you will never have the more comfort loafers.

10. Yoshka

Yoshka Member

Regarding the topic of "John Lobb Appreciation", one thing I appreciate about the brand, in addition to the overall quality, is that I do have the option of being able to choose leather vs rubber for the sole and also have the option of making a change in the future. I also appreciate that for a given shoe, I have choices on EE/E vs EEE/EE widths, and I hope I will make the right choice in size (snug but not too snug). I will be going to the South Coast store today to make a couple of selections.

I was thinking Lopez and perhaps Philip II or Chambord, both in black. I saw Plum being touted on prior posts, but the Lobb website does not seem to offer that color at this time in the above shoes. Just need to decide on the sole, and would like at least one of the shoes to have rubber if not both if rubber is even a bit more comfortable while walking. I can appreciate not wanting to squeak (did not notice that but will pay attention), and the fact that leather is the classic design etc. However, my job does not involve being in a business office, sitting at a desk, and attending meetings. I am walking a LOT. Therefore, comfort while walking trumps all other considerations ... for me. If anyone can provide a comparison on leather vs rubber strictly as related to comfort - shock absorption while walking, and if there is a difference, that would be great! It is hard to truly appreciate a comparison in the store, especially since for a given shoe, there is not inventory of the exact same size in rubber vs leather, and I am only walking for a short distance.

11. jujujoo11

jujujoo11 Senior member

I saw John Lobb loafers with the October sole, and was surprised how great they looked they also felt very durable too. If I saw them on the street I would never guess they had rubber sole. End of the day you are going to wear the shoes not us. Get it for your lifestyle. I don't think you can get Philip 2's in rubber since they are prestige models. We can talk colors and leather and ask for opinion but if its comfort its all up to you, the wearer.

12. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I personally like leather soles and find them more comfortable than city rubber (e.g., Definite). Leather does wear out faster though. Almost all my shoes have leather soles;I have probably have 5 shoes with rubber soles for rain/snow days.

13. NewStart

NewStart Senior member

JL factory shop in Northampton this weekend - Lots of Lopez in stock in different colour and size- just not I was looking for :(
    [​IMG]

14. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

Whoa, have they modernized the Shop? The last photos I was looking showed the FS as a 19th century room ..

Last edited: Sep 21, 2014

15. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

i would get the uncontrollable urge to take a dive into that stack of boxes