John Lobb Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dddrees, Feb 22, 2013.

1. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

Are the chelseas on the 82 last nik?

2. Hirsh

Hirsh Senior member

Actually, they DO have elephant!

But it's only available in a neutral beige colour and is very coarse and stiff...

Think I'll stick with the navy matt alligator..

3. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

Actually they are on 202 last. Might be that photo angle elongated them a bit so they may appear as 82.

4. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

They looked much sleeker than mine. Great color DOAK is tough to beat.

5. Hirsh

Hirsh Senior member

Just ordered boots in navy Madeira calf..

Alligator gorgeous but even a shopaholic like myself can't justify the price, maybe one day, but not now.

Convalescent home after hospital just cost me £2,500, and I still have to work out which clothes/footwear I need for the autumn season:)

6. chogall

chogall Senior member

What's Madeira calf? Calf leather from cow raised in Madeira? Or it's the name of a color? Any pictures of the leather?

7. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Pictures?

Last edited: Aug 19, 2014

8. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

It's puzzling to me how little traffic this thread gets compared to the EG thread.

9. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Just seems to be less enthusiasm here for John Lobb vs Edward Green. I'm not completely surprised as there wasn't even a thread until I started it and the EG thread had existed long before that. There also doesn't seem to be many retailers who are affiliates with SF who sell JL. Kind of makes me wonder what their overall sales are compared to EG. Is this just a lack of enthusiasm on SF or are they less popular even outside SF?

10. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

Personally I think EG beats the JL in boot compartment. Also in derby. What JL has better is the leather and perhaps Oxford shoes.. IMO ofc.

I'm completely gravitating towards EG lately.

11. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

I think that the EG thread leans heavily towards more casual makeups. I don't think that is in JL's wheelhouse. Plus the next step for the Alden riff raff seems to be EG...not Lobb. I'll own a pair of Lobbs someday, but I'm in no hurry. And it probably will be a captoe oxford, haha.

12. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

I have 8 pairs of Lobb and one of EG...

I prefer JL .

Might be a price issue even if the gap is not massive or the make up of SF with a lot of US customers liking the Jermyn street old England vibe.

13. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Somehow I don't get the feeling that it's a price gap issue here, but maybe it does have something to do with the casual shoes EG offers that @tifosi mentioned. I actually purchased a pair of John Lobbs prior to get any of my Edward Greens. But those were a casual pair of double monks. Personally for the most part I prefer the style of Edward Green over John Lobb. But I have given some thought recently of purchasing a pair of captoe oxfords from John Lobb

14. tifosi

tifosi Tire Kicker

Before I actually tried on the style (and didn't like it on me) the Lobb double monk was the shoe of all shoes for me. I'm a casual guy by nature. I feel like I "should" own a pair of Lobbs, but I think that is the extent of it.

15. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I like both brands. I have various models of each brand. I happen to own more EGs than JLs.

EG seems to have many more casual offerings than JL. EG comes to mind for dressy offerings and casual offerings. JL, at least for me, comes to mind for dressy offerings (although certainly JL has some casual offerings).

It does seem as though EGs are more accessible, particularly with retailers like Skoak being so active on SF. But dealing with JL's Costa Mesa shop is nothing if not pleasant.

While EG, IMO, has the upper hand in the boot category (by a considerable margin) and the split-toe derby (Dover v. Chambord), it would be hard for me to argue that EG necessarily has the upper hand in any other categories. This is not necessarily to say I think JL has the upper hand in all the other categories either.

I do think the price differential does steer some away from JL, particularly with respect to the Prestige line. However, depending on the comparable models (ex., Dover v. Chambord II), there may not be much of a price differential.

JL's 7000 last is sublime.

My $0.02.