• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hirsh

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I've just ordered navy Madeira calf boots, the same style as my black mid-box pair from Lobb in St James'(bespoke) but they take 10 months to make so I've got to be sit tight and wait!

Very naughty...

I adore alligator, and my alligator handbags all last far longer than my leather ones (although the J Mendel black matte calf Bugatti bag I bought this year should also last a lifetime..), so:

I've upgraded my bespoke order with Lobb for boots in dark navy blue alligator!

They're eye wateringly expensive, but alligator is practically indestructible, so hopefully those, together with my black mid box Lobb boots, and my Gaziano and Girling MTO Oxford brogues will see me through..:)

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nice selection. I assume those balmorals are in the 7000 last? I wish JL fit me as well as EG/G&G because they do have nice sleek lines.

The 7000 is perhaps my favorite dress/formal shoe last, regardless of maker.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Back and forth a few months, I finally pulled the trigger for JLs.

se7ygaha.jpg
uvy3amu8.jpg
umy9apav.jpg
7u8e3ubu.jpg
u5y2aqyv.jpg

Man you carrying some automatics? That's a lot of target for a trigger lol

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Very naughty...

I adore alligator, and my alligator handbags all last far longer than my leather ones (although the J Mendel black matte calf Bugatti bag I bought this year should also last a lifetime..), so:

I've upgraded my bespoke order with Lobb for boots in dark navy blue alligator!

They're eye wateringly expensive, but alligator is practically indestructible, so hopefully those, together with my black mid box Lobb boots, and my Gaziano and Girling MTO Oxford brogues will see me through..:)

Why not croc?

puffy

Reaction score
Lobb's "October Sole" is similar to Dainite.
I have a few JLs with the October Sole, I find it softer and more flexible than Dainite. I prefer the October.

Dainite can make you sound like John Candy rolling into a wooden-floored saloon after 15 beers and two racks of ribs.

SuitedDx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I have a few JLs with the October Sole, I find it softer and more flexible than Dainite. I prefer the October. Dainite can make you sound like John Candy rolling into a wooden-floored saloon after 15 beers and two racks of ribs.
I don't disagree.
Speaking of October soles... Chambord II in suede
14615229858_b7135d0a30.jpg
The width on these soles is about 2/3 of Dainite from my gross estimates which may explain the flexibility.

Nikola

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A bit of comparison between Edward Gren Dark Oak and Parisian Brown Museum Calf ..

Hirsh

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Why not croc?

I prefer the larger, square scales...

Croc has round scales and look better IMO in a shiny rather than a matt finish!

I just hope the 2 pairs plus my casual Sketchers will see me through, as the alligator pair cost a fortune (!), and I don't think I'll be able to buy a third pair of bespoke John Lobbs:)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads