1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

John Lobb Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dddrees, Feb 22, 2013.

1. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

At least today this thread seemed to get a fair amount of traffic. Not only did it get some traffic I think I learned a thing or two. So thank you sir, for starting this discussion.

2. bespoken pa

bespoken pa Senior member

@sftg correct I was referring to lasts and overall aesthetics. Truthfully for me it mostly comes down to a preference. I was unaware that JL used the 7k last for anything other the prestige line. JL like EG has the ability to turnout some great looking shoes. Cleves captoes come to mind. I used the term better because it is subjective in this case, better for me means pleasing to my eye. Quality even between the EG and JL prestige is splitting hairs like comparing a ferrari to a lambo

1 person likes this.
  3. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I own a number of both brands and my preference towards EG are due to 1, last fit, and 2, preference for crust leather. JL has "sleeker" and cleaner lines and excellent designs; however, the fit for EG is excellent and I like the patina that develops with crust leather.

Both are great and I do agree that EG does make better boots. Also, with JL's MSRP prestige price is comparable to EG MTO with trees, the decision isn't too hard.

4. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

@bespoken pa Took this bad random quick shot of 202, just to see how it will look under the different angle, and they appear to have more rounded look..

[​IMG]

Anyway, don't really like the black shoes just like the rest of the crowd here, but I think my recently broken in Lopez in Black are serving just fine for the weekend casual night out ..

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014
  5. thebeebs

thebeebs Senior member

Ironically, much of the traffic on this thread consists of posts regarding lack of traffic. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  6. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

It's to bad too. I really like my Williams II. Just not the fan base here like EG and some others. For the reasons mentioned already I guess.

7. teddieriley

teddieriley Senior member

Does William II have single or double soles?

8. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Double,

I don't think I've seen one with a single, but I have seen them one some pretty chunky rubber soles however (SAR).

9. jujujoo11

jujujoo11 Senior member

Hi, Kinda new here. Is there any similarity e between Plum Museum calf and Claret misty? I love em burgundy shades But I don't know if plum is considered burgundy, well atleast in some lighting.

10. chogall

chogall Senior member

Plum is the color of a full glass/bottle of wine. Claret is the color of a puddle of red wine on top of a glass-top table.

Or Plum is darker than Claret, which is darker than chestnut.

Both plum and claret have a hint of red hue.

1 person likes this.
  11. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

Plum I think is much darker than the claret misty

12. FrankZ

FrankZ Well-Known Member

here you go
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  13. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

Both are in the burgundy family. Plum is darker. You will get more mottling with plum museum than you will with claret misty - but that's more because of museum vs. misty. I have both colors and like them.

14. jujujoo11

jujujoo11 Senior member

I feel like I like the plum more.

15. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Plum is the best by far..

I have two pairs in plumb and it's very elegant and versatile.

16. goodlensboy

goodlensboy Senior member

This.

And to further confuse you misty feels more living, tight and polishes well than museum (deep). But that's just my feeling. In plum or any non-black color I'd choose museum cause its perfectly mottled. However in black, misty any day over all other calf leathers including museum and oxford calf just because misty feels more luxurious and better quality somehow.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  17. goodlensboy

goodlensboy Senior member

Awesome man. Many thanks for sharing! Great

18. jujujoo11

jujujoo11 Senior member

I actually seen the black museum calf and really liked how it looked in sunlight and changed in different lighting. I believe it's easier to appreciate in real life, pictures don't have the same effect. Can't really tell in black misty.

19. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

Black Museum Calf looks washed out to me. I have a pair in Black Misty and it looks more rich. Misty Black has a bit of "plastic shine" but in a good way, it's like giving a black a bit of accent.

20. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

Yeah, I would never do Black Museum again.