1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

John Lobb Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dddrees, Feb 22, 2013.

1. Jazzmenco

Jazzmenco Senior member

Hideous is a bit harsh(?) Weird yes. I liked the peccary leather and the color combo and probably had a few too many glasses of wine under my belt.
    I guess I'm safe to assume you wouldn't be interested in buying them. [​IMG]

2. rexet

rexet Senior member

Yes, the 7000 last is perfect for the Towcester, I love them!

I will try that one day :) !

By the way, are you aware of fake John Lobb? I found some second hand ones (worn only 5/6 times) on a marketplace but the price seems to good to be true.

3. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

There are definitely 'fake' Lobbs...

Also, I wouldn't consider Lobb Paris as the definitive shoe brand.

Now if you are talking about Lobb St. James' bespoke...

1 person likes this.
  4. rexet

rexet Senior member

I don't consider Lobb as the ultimate shoe brand at all :)

What would be the easiest way to spot a fake pair of Lobb if I had the chance to have them in my hand? Is there any detail that would be to complicated or expensive to reproduce? I think I'm gonna meet the guy to see and touch the shoes.

5. JubeiSpiegel

JubeiSpiegel Senior member

I mean, i wouldn't chance such a meeting if you already have your suspicions. Even if they are real, you also don't know what the original owner might have done to them, or if there is an issue that warrants the owner getting rid of them.

If you do however decide to proceed, having already handled real JLs, then you should notice a fake easily i would guess. In the quality of the leather & materials, the clean finishing & soles, and of course the shape of the last.

6. rexet

rexet Senior member

My suspicions are only based on the price asked: $480 for a Philip II only worn 5 or 6 times sounds like a steal.
    I don't own any JL and the 30 min spent in their store are not enough to make me confident spotting a fake.
    On the other hand I do own some quality shoes (Weston, Church's, Alden, etc.) and I hope it will help me to see a bad quality construction or leather.

7. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

Oh, man .. Why would you want to buy a used pair of shoes? No matter how good the deal is .. I could never purchase the shoes someone wore and break before me .. Vehicle on the other hand, I would .. But not the shoes! Not the shoes!

8. rexet

rexet Senior member

This is funny because I just canceled my meeting with the guy few minutes before your message :)

1. After having done some research, fake JL exist and I don't want to take the risk
    2. I know I would always had a weird feeling to wear someone else shoes that didn't mold perfectly to my feet
    3. I can't get of my mind the fact that someone have sweated in my shoes

To conclude, I stay away from second hand shoes :)

1 person likes this.
  9. hoodog

hoodog Senior member

FWIW, I've bought several pairs of used shoes, they are some of the best deals I've ever done (at about 10% of RRP sometimes). You only need to know how to judge the shoes and the wear. And, more often than not, I always put the shoes through a very thorough cleaning and conditioning process that take several days, once I get them.

Some of the best and most comfortable shoes I own were actually used when I bought them.

10. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

sell

1 person likes this.
  11. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

It's Russian Roulette.

1 person likes this.
  12. hoodog

hoodog Senior member

True. But so far I'm still alive. :)

13. DWFII

DWFII Bespoke Boot and Shoemaker Dubiously Honored

:fistbump:

And may you continue to enjoy it...

1 person likes this.
  14. lasbar

lasbar Senior member

Sell...

15. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

@rexet What was the final choice? [​IMG]

16. Jazzmenco

Jazzmenco Senior member

They are up for sale. Maybe they will appeal to somebody! [​IMG]

17. rexet

rexet Senior member

Hehe :) !
    I went to upper-shoes (a multi brand that sell Edward Green) and John Lobb store yesterday.
    First I compared the Berkeley and the Midford and I love them both but I think the 82 last suited me best. My wife found the 202 last too rounded.
    After that we went to the John Lobb store and she fell in love with the Philip II in Pewter museum calf! She told me these are the ones I should buy.
    I decided to wait until wednesday, day of the official sales in France, to see if I could find some great deals. If I don't, I have 3 days to make my final decision but for the moment I think I will go with the EG Midford. But I know I will have to get these Philip II in Pewter in the future :) !

I'll keep you informed :)

18. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

He He .. What did I tell you .. All women I asked for a quick opinion liked JL more!

I am fishing for a deal on a new pair of JL William II double monks in brown calf in UK9E, so if anyone here has one to sell, let me know the price.

Their rejects are so pricey these days - asking 465 GBP / 800 USD including shipping..

Last edited: Jun 22, 2014
  19. rexet

rexet Senior member

Nikola > you're going to be disappointed... The final choice has been JL :) !

I went to the store during my lunch today and I bought... two pair of oxfords :
    - JL Becketts in Dark Brown Museum Calf
    - JL Rothley in Dark Brown Misty Calf

I was really close to buy a pair of Chambord II too but my wallet felt already light after the first two pairs.

But don't worry, I am sure I will buy some EG in the near future :)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  20. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

@rexet Let me Congrats. you on a purchase! +2.

I really like the brogue details on Rothleys. The color is beautiful too.

NOW .. Khm - Khm .. I am not disappointed at all, as I predicted that your 1st purchase will be JL, especially since you are shopping with your wife :D ..

Here's the proof .. :))
    [​IMG]

Jokes aside, you bought fantastic shoes, and there is nothing to regret for, or to have a second thoughts. They do look much better than EG's in the eyes of a common people that are not a shoe fanatics and I am sure that like 99 out of 100 people would bought the same shoes as you did if you compared them to a 202 EG last. Lobbs are looking more modern, sleeker and richer than a bit boring and too classically rounded EG's.

Wear them in good health. And please remember to upload some photos!