• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a pair of JL City ii in Dark Brown Museum calf from Italist recently. Besides some creasing on the upper(see pic 5), I think generally there is no quality issues with the shoes.

However, they seems a little bit too dark to me. Do you guys think it is normal for their Dark Brown Museum to be this dark? Should I return the pair?

View attachment 1435818 View attachment 1435819 View attachment 1435820 View attachment 1435821 View attachment 1435822
what size are you? can buy off you instead.

heelguy

Reaction score
I also bought a pair of Parisian brown museum a couple of years ago which ended up being much darker than expected. They are closer to dark brown.You don’t get the same effect from the finishing.

fal32

Reaction score
Philip II Double Buckle

Attachments

• 7C9C06A4-1AE2-4A2A-9C9C-6867C1315F78.jpeg
    7C9C06A4-1AE2-4A2A-9C9C-6867C1315F78.jpeg
    85.7 KB · Views: 78
  • 74C7F2A0-2823-4335-8DA2-060BE7F548A6.jpeg
    74C7F2A0-2823-4335-8DA2-060BE7F548A6.jpeg
    92.1 KB · Views: 81
  • E5F4E941-F70B-4DEF-8910-D0DD07C965BD.jpeg
    E5F4E941-F70B-4DEF-8910-D0DD07C965BD.jpeg
    88.7 KB · Views: 98

terrorsquad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
very nice.Where did you get it?Im looking to order one in plum museum calf.Similar to this one

Attachments

• 5B279EBA-B972-4183-A1A3-F1C0AC30D772.png
    5B279EBA-B972-4183-A1A3-F1C0AC30D772.png
    574.6 KB · Views: 96

fal32

Reaction score
very nice.Where did you get it?Im looking to order one in plum museum calf.Similar to this one
Beautiful - you’ll love it. MTO from the Miami shop.

LThomsen

Reaction score
JL is garbage (always relative to price). You ask if I've seen anything like this before? I've seen much worse. I would tell you if you paid $500-600 for them it's ok, but is it?

There is nothing I hate more than this. People paying a fortune to buy a pair of JL and then act like they are being disappointed. People like me have been wanting to warn people and make them aware that JL is not what they think it is, simply judging by the price tag. This is called helping people like yourself make smart decisions with their hard-earned money. And you have some babies who will jump in and attack us saying things to the effect "this is a JL appreciation forum, which means we are here to talk about how great JL shoes are. And stop even talking about the price, the price is what it is and the reason you say they are overpriced like nothing else is because you are a loser and you can't afford them. Now go and buy yourself a pair of Kenneth Cole (are they still around??) from Macys.'

And then after that you have people who go and pay $2500 to buy a pair and then they come here and ask 'Is a pair that just cost me $2500 supposed to wrinkle like that? Or is it acceptable for the heel to fall off"? My response is yes, it's very acceptable. I see nothing unacceptable about it. And then you also have the people in the Vass thread who just paid $300 for a pair effectively better much quality than the pair you just got and they complain that when some questionable cobbler on youtube took the heel off he found 5 nails instead of 6. So now you have them worried that the shoes they've been wearing for the last 6 years and are still going strong had only 5 nails to hold the heel down. What a disappointment.

Let's just put this to rest once and for all. There is no other brand that even comes close to the low quality/price ratio that JL has.
What brands offer the best quality to price ratio?

fal32

Reaction score
You’re asking the wrong guy. Sforum1 ***** on every brand in their respective threads...

sforum1

Reaction score
Vass on sale.

But here is the thing.

bad quality/price ratio does not mean bad shoes. Meaning, if you were not paying for the shoes and you did not even have to know what they cost, you would probably still want to pick JL over Vass. But that's a maybe. But maybe you would.

But the quality/price ratio becomes relevant, very very relevant actually, when someone goes out there and spends $2500 on a pair of JL thinking that the shoes, if not 8X better, will be at least 3-4X better than Vass. And then they act shocked and disappointed when they found out that they weren't. Because implicit in the question "Is it acceptable for a pair that cost $2K to have wrinkles" for example, is the assumption that these shoes cost $2K but they are worth every penny of it and therefore they will never wrinkle.

You have to always put everything in perspective. So yeah, if you've been hearing this BS that good shoes can last you a lifetime (yea, what's up with that? some people actually believe this) and you thought, ok, great, I will buy the most expensive brand there is then and this way for sure they will last me a lifetime, possibly 8 lifetimes, then that's a horrible miscalculation.

And speaking of shoes lasting a lifetime, JL will not last any more lifetimes than a pair of Meermin will.

Last edited:

sforum1

Reaction score
I just received my new pair of Philip II today. I got it the same size as my City II. But they fit much tighter. Is that normal, anyone else experienced that? They are both on the 7000 last or has JL become the new Vass with all-over-the-map sizing?

hkoldguy

Reaction score
yes I was expecting my JL dark brown museum calf to be this shade. Did it arrived like that or did you do anything to make it lighter?
It arrived in this shade, I didn’t do anything to it. To make it lighter (or at least not darken it further), use only neutral cream/ wax, polishing it might also make it appear lighter (more reflective).

I have heard that their museum shade do vary from batch to batch, so there is also that.....

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads