STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

John Lobb Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dddrees, Feb 22, 2013.

1. papado

papado Well-Known Member

Definitely go with museum!

Also on a side note--anyone have issues with recent orders from bespoke-england? I have 4 pairs which were fine with regards to shipping/receiving but have been waiting a while on my most recent orders a few weeks back with radio silence after some emails...

2. c21ban

c21ban Senior Member

Yes. Ordered on the 19th and after sending a few emails to Nick, got a reply that the store had closed down for the holidays as well as the JL factory. That was nearly a week ago and have not heard anything since.

3. Article 26

Article 26 Senior Member

I went museum, no regrets, one of my most worn Lobbs.
    Great shoe.

4. wurger

wurger Distinguished Member

5. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Distinguished Member

Yeah, he tends to fall off the face of the earth every now and then. Happened to me after I bought my 2009 Crepin from him. Took him 5 weeks to even respond to the sale, 6 to ship. But I got the shoes in the end...

6. Texasmade

Texasmade Distinguished Member

I tried to buy some JL shoes from him during a sale a few years ago. Great pricing but after several weeks of no communication or update from him, I sent an email to cancel my order. After that he offered to ship that week if I were still interested. At that point, I just said forget the shoes and refund my money which he did.

Nick isn't a scammer but he gets overwhelmed with orders during sales and I don't think he actually owns the shoes that are for sale so shipping is really hit and miss. If you order outside of the big sales you'll probably have much better luck.

I would try him again but I have around 10 pairs of various JL already and 5 other pairs of shoes of similar price. I don't really need any more RTW shoes and started moving to bespoke.

7. c21ban

c21ban Senior Member

I have had no issue in the past but agree with that that he is both overwhelmed due to his sale as well as not having the shoes in hand. I know that he didn’t actually have the shoes as he told me the factory was closed. Just seems odd that he holds the sale just before Christmas but then can’t actually ship as he is not carrying the inventory.

My biggest issue is he has our money but we have to keep pushing him to update and he goes silent. Truly bad form and not the best way to endear his customers and maintain a long term relationship.

If I don’t hear anything from him by mid-week, I will call my credit card company and file a claim. Really hate doing that and hope it doesn’t happen.

8. Texasmade

Texasmade Distinguished Member

I think I mentioned I would file a claim on my cc in an email with him which finally got him to respond.

9. clee1982

clee1982 Stylish Dinosaur

Well we’re just for the sales anyway not like i’m really building a relationship...

10. wurger

wurger Distinguished Member

I had no problems with my orders with Nick, the the issues have been explained by Texasmade

11. takashi78

takashi78 Senior Member

Seems the same happens every sale, i have read through to know that there is no use emailing him.
    I got my JL shoes in the end after more than 2 months from payment.

12. c21ban

c21ban Senior Member

Clee, we are in it for the sales but if I offer a product for sale, I do my utmost to ensure the customer is satisfied with not only the price received, but the service I provide also.

Why? Because regardless of the price, I want that customer to come back again and again. Had this happened the first time I purchased from him or any vendor, it would have made me think about whether I would choose to buy again from him, or anyone who provides less than stellar service. In these instances, all it takes is COMMUNICATION as most of us a understanding of these types of situations as long as the vendor is keeping us in the loop.

That’s all I have to say on this matter as we need to get back to the shoes!

13. leather2354

leather2354 Well-Known Member

Is there any chance to order 2009 edition by MTO?
    I really crash on 2009, but it is not available in JL store?

14. papado

papado Well-Known Member

Agreed, if this happened the first time I would have cancelled my order by now! I'll give him a chance/check with my CC company to see how long afterwards I can challenge in the event it takes too long--all he has to do is respond to an ameial and say he's busy and it might be a little while to assuage anyone's fears, especially those of us who have purchased multiple pairs!

But back to the shoes...Chapel in blue suede!

IMG-0738.JPG

15. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Distinguished Member

I remember reading that they were phasing it out last year. I believe there was one final group order organized. Did anyone here get in on it?

If they won’t make you one, Antonio Meccariello makes a very good facsimile.