Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

John Lobb Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dddrees, Feb 22, 2013.

1. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

Depends on how you wear them, right? If your commute consists of driving to an office with carpet and sitting at a desk all day, sure your shoes could last for decades. If you walk 3-5 miles every day on Manhattan sidewalks, they'll get beat up much more quickly.

I don't think higher end GYW shoes will necessarily last longer than lower tiered GYW shoes like Alden or CJ. The construction is basically the same across the board. Primary differences are in styling, detailing, finishing, etc.

2. AttackoftheMac

AttackoftheMac Member

Yea of course it depends on use. But do you guys usually use older shoes, even if they are in good condition, or do they generally end up in the back of the closet ? Do people actually use older shoes ?

I want to figure out if this is just a thing people say to establish the quality, or if its a real thing that people use shoes for decades. Maybe it better to just create a thread about this :)

3. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

I use all my shoes but I normally don’t walk a lot like most ppl do in newyork. If I was planning on walking a lot then just use low tear shoes. Example is carminas Enzo b, Vass, Saintcrispin etc.

4. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

I hate this is true and I hate that I can't be fully happy with Crockett Jones being they are the most reasonably priced shoe brand considering the quality, IMO. However, something is not letting me settle with their Oxfords compared to Edward Green. Those small details in last shape, leather quality and overall look are not worth the 100% surcharge from the perspective of CJ price point.. However, if they are pushing all your buttons, they may as well be worth it ..

The quality is there long after the price is forgotten .. Suck it up and shell out the money. You will regret less than tying up the laces of your mid class shoes every morning thinking how better you would feel in those Lobbs! You are not paying just for the slightly better quality, but much more ..

5. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

I think my G&G wigmores are 7ish years and I wear them. My Alden LWBs are about 10 years and still regularly worn. Handful here and there although my JL are rotated well. My Ashley loafers are probably going 10 years but only worn in the summer.

6. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

I started buying JL shoes about 8 years ago and the first pair I bought are still going strong. Granted I don’t live in NYC so they don’t see a lot of the elements and with my current collection of around 12 JL, 4 Pierre Corthay, and 1 G&G, the shoes get rotated quite a bit over a month.

7. peppercorn78

peppercorn78 Senior member

I think maybe I didn't explain my point of view well enough. There are many, many reasons to pay extra money for John Lobb shoes over Alden and Carmina, etc. I have several shoes from all those brands. I just don't think that durability (all other factors being equal) is one of those reasons.

8. AttackoftheMac

AttackoftheMac Member

So per now I only have one decent pair of shoes, Barker. I bought this as an entry to shoe shine, leather sole and shoes in general.
    Now Im convinces I want to continue down the path (sorry wallet).

Im one of those people that like to go "straight to the top" when Im looking at something new. But I need to know whats actually the top, and whats just more money spent for like the brand etc.

Im been looking at CJ a lot. But now I'm more into just going for JL right away. Its a little over my budget, but I think its better to buy one really good pair, instead of 2-3 lower quality.

What do you guys think ? Go straight for the top or get more experience with other shoes first ?

9. Texasmade

Texasmade Senior member

Kind of depends on your current situation.

I know I tried to build my way up so I bought a pair of CJ's and Ralph Lauren (the non Edward Green shoes). Then I bought a pair of JL thinking I would buy other CJ's to fill in the collection until I made more money. After I bought my first pair of JL, I basically stopped buying any other brand except for other stuff on the same tier. I couldn't downgrade after that.

10. jhcam8

jhcam8 Senior member

Buy the best quality you can afford. Can't see why you'd want to "get more experience" with other shoes -not even sure what that means, actually. I mean, you try a brand, style, model and you like it or sort of or don't and move on, eh? It's a huge leap from Barker to JL. Maybe you should try a C&J or Alden and see how you like them. Anyway, have fun. :cheers:

11. jonathanS

jonathanS Senior member

Try Alfred Sargents if you want a nice compromise. When you get to buying Lobbs, they become your bad weather shoes. Which, is nicer than most people's special event shoes but hey, theres a reason the girl is giving you her number & not the other guy. :slayer::slayer::slayer: