1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

John Lobb Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dddrees, Feb 22, 2013.

1. MarcoBianco

MarcoBianco Member

Parisian museum

[​IMG]

Dark brown museum

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. coldinboston

coldinboston Senior member

Just received my new MTO.
    Hinton Balmoral boots.
    On the new caviar grained plum museum,
    Supposed to be "more" water resistant

Now oddly enough they sent it to me with a sole that was theoretically not available and I did not ask for.
    Normally it is on rubber/november sole with stormwelt. I asked without stormwelt and they said "no, only available with rubber sole and welt". I said ok and 4 mos later I get them on a double leather sole! How random.
    Keeping them anyways bc if I knew that was even an option I would have asked for it.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 4, 2017
    3 people like this.
  3. Leaves

Leaves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Looks cool! I would have preferred normal ski hooks though! I'll try a caviar museum make up just for fun! Does it buff easily?

4. nickrut

nickrut Senior member

Thanks Marco - but looking for two shoes next to each other in the same lighting and whatnot so I can get a fair comparison

5. coldinboston

@nickrut

I have shoes in both of those colors. I will take a pic and post when i get a chance hopefully this afternoon

6. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

You opted for those grainy caviar leather for a reason. You wanted them to be more water resistant. Now with the leather soles that's a bit of a oxymoron ..

Perhaps you could get an extra pair of shoe trees for this mix up ..

Brings bit of a memory of a friend who ordered a Porsche Cayenne with the Black leather seats and he received one with the pale gray interior, and manager asked him to remain quite so he don't get into trouble .. [​IMG]

7. coldinboston

Your friend clearly should have opted for the red trim bucket seats :)
    Oh yea i did want this for winter shoes and the leather soles makes them more for fall and spring here in boston.

They offered to return and make new pair no questions asked.
    However i think I want to keep them.
    Lets see if they offer something for my troubles. Typically the service has been impeccable from my retailer.

8. coldinboston

Yes its a nice look. I do like the appearance of the caviar grain museum on the boots.
    Speed hooks would be more convenient however they only come with the palladium holes. Thats not a big deal to me.

I have not buffed yet. Just put them back in the box. I will update when I do.

9. TtownMD

TtownMD Senior member

Costa Mesa gents are very very service oriented :D

10. Robbenisland

Robbenisland Member

I actually like the double leather sole you got. I bought mine with the rubber sole and they are a bit wider where the sole stiching is. I think your double leather will make it a more viable all year option. [​IMG]

11. coldinboston

Here is a picture with some inside lighting.
    Cityii in dark brwn museum and warwick in parisian brown museum
    Shoes are probably both about the same age and wear.
    Differences more pronounced under bright lights, but this is what they look like under normal indoor lighting.
    Parisian brown is my favorite (close fight with bracken misty)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 5, 2017
    2 people like this.
  12. coldinboston

Thats the reason why i wanted them without the stormwelt.
    I have shoes with just the november sole wo the stormwelt and they basically look just as sleek as a doubleleather sole. Its the stormwelt that gives that bulkier apperance or wider stitching as you noticed.
    The november sole by itself looks very good IMO if you are looking for shoes with rubber soles

13. nickrut

nickrut Senior member

Thank you sir! Good comparison, trying to decide for my next pair. Leaning Parisian now

14. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

Parisian all the way. More vivid colour.

15. skywalker

skywalker Senior member

I have several JL shoes but I have one where the leather has cracked. What would cause this? Is this common or repairable? They are only about two years old and I have taken care of them regularly.
    [​IMG]

16. Leaves

The Chapel is in Dark Brown Museum Calf. The Philip II below is in Parisian.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The colors are very true to IRL. However, please remember that there are differences between batches, I've seen Dark Brown lighter than this, almost bordering on Parisian.

1 person likes this.
  17. nickrut

nickrut Senior member

Great pictures sir, thank you!! Which one do you like better Leaves?

18. Leaves

Both are great colors, the Parisian Brown is an awesome shade, probably my personal favorite, but for a really conservative style then the Dark Brown is a safer choice.

19. Leaves

Looks bad, whenever I see this type of damage it's usually because salt that has been left to soak into the skin, repeatedly. Happens if you live in a city where they use salt on the streets and pavements to clear snow. Even if you wipe the shoes after each use, salt and salt residue can damage the leather. Or a damp shoe left to dry on or near a radiator, or other heat source. Reach out to wherever you bought the shoes, I'm sure they will assist you.

20. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

Your elegant and classic shoe collection is just wonderful and very consistent (my fav in this category). Althought I would like to see you with just one couple of gunboat shoes. Wear them in good health.[​IMG]

1 person likes this.