1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

John Lobb Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dddrees, Feb 22, 2013.

1. jujujoo11

jujujoo11 Senior member

Plum and Dark brown Museum in indoor or with less light looks the same almost from what I can tell with my shoes.

1 person likes this.
  2. Jazzmenco

Jazzmenco Senior member

Phillip II, pewter museum thanks to @magicspot
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 26, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  3. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

What do you think about that Pewter MC leather Jazz?. I think is just gorgeus, smooth and supple like any other and the color is fantastic (I will use dark brown wax to maintain them). On my WII pair (only model I have due to fit), the heel rubber top lift is very soft so it minimizes better heel impact (it might wear faster though). Beautiful shoes man.

4. nickrut

nickrut Senior member

My pair of Pewter WII come in today. I'm excited. Will be my first pair of Lobbs. Sure hope they fit correctly lol. Then again it could open a can of worms

5. Jazzmenco

Jazzmenco Senior member

Thanks Zap
    All of my Lobbs have superior leather. Very easy to get the mirror shine. I will be using neutral wax, I want to maintain the grayish color.

1 person likes this.
  6. Jazzmenco

Jazzmenco Senior member

Do you mean a wallet full of money?[​IMG]
    My pair fit snuggly, my feet were feeling it by the end of the day but I'm sure they will break in nicely. I like a snug fit to minimize creasing (especially in shell cordovan leather). These had no creasing after a days wear. On the other hand I have another pair 1/2 size larger (same last) and they formed creases immediately.

7. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

I had to try on at least 3 different sizes for the 9795 last (8.5EE, 8.5E and finally 8E uk). My size on the 7000/ 8000 lasts is 8.5EE, but the fit is not great so I did not pull the trigger. Hope you the best luck cause that color is really something different and still versatile.

8. Griffyndor

Griffyndor Senior member

My view is that all the browns in the Lobb range are distinct enough from one another, and unique enough, that they make sense independently. I'm a sucker for the various Lobb browns, but check out the beautiful photos on the steps & style tumblr and I think you will see that what can look like a minor variation in a swatch really makes a tremendous difference on a whole shoe.

9. nickrut

nickrut Senior member

Ha absolutely on the wallet full of money. I ordered in a half size below my GG fit so I'm hoping they work out well. I forget what lasts I tried on at the store a few months back but the 12E was too snug so I went with 12EE.

I'm hoping so too. I'm pretty confident I'll be good though. Probably will be ordering a pair or two in the 8000 soon so that will be another gamble. Can't seem to find anywhere near me that stocks them to try on.

10. jonathanS

jonathanS Senior member

My lobbs are size 11 and g&g size 11.5. I just got the g&gs but I think they'll break in nicely. So you're probably on the right track sizing wise. (7000 & 8000 last for lobb, tg73 for g&g).

11. nickrut

nickrut Senior member

So any general consensus on 9795 vs 8000 fit? Similar or is the 8000 a bit snugger due to the chisel?

12. jujujoo11

jujujoo11 Senior member

I have not felt a difference in lobb last. I wear 8000 like 7000 in same size... I don't know how many others on the forums do as well. I tried a half size smaller and my foot felt uncomfortable. Only time it felt good was on the Lopez Loafers.

13. chogall

chogall Senior member

9795 slightly wider in the front vs 8000/7000. 8000/7000 fits the same for me depending on upper pattern.

14. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

As I said, to me 8000 (8.5 EE) last is shorter and snugger than the 9795 last (8E). My right bunion/big toe were suffering a bit on the 8000 and 7000 lasts. I have not extensive experience with JL lasts but those both seem to me completely different to the 9795 last. Can´t help you more.

15. jujujoo11

jujujoo11 Senior member

Do you guys find the room in 7000 that much more than the 8000 to size .5 down? I understand 7000 has slightly more room but to size down was too tight and uncomfortable, I find both 7000 and 8000 feel the same comfort and fit wise in the same size.

16. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

No in my experience, they fit similiar IMO. 9795 last is another thing.

17. jamesryan123

jamesryan123 Active Member

My first pair, some black becketts. [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  18. Nikola

Nikola Senior member

^ It's a good way to start off a collection.

19. jujujoo11

jujujoo11 Senior member

I wear the same size as my in my william 2 as my other 7000 and 8000 last. Shape is different but ball of my foot and my heel is stable and feels good.

20. Zapasman

Zapasman Senior member

That sounds amazing !!.[​IMG]. Most people I know have to size down 0.5 for 9795 last. Even the european manager from JL (do not recall his name) that visited Spain advise us to do so. With regard to widht I think that the 7000 and 8000 lasts on E width are made for mid-narrow feet. 9795 WII last is much more generous IME. As I said, I just have 1 pair of JL, but I have tryed on at least 10 different pairs to spot my size. Anyway, tricky fit.