1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

John Lobb Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by dddrees, Feb 22, 2013.

1. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

It's actually a stock model called the ludlow. JL hasn't made it for years though.

2. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

Woodcote looks awesome. Might have to cross the Beaulieu off my kop list and get those instead

3. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

If you can get the woodcote for the same price as the beaulie than go for it. The woodcote is impressive considering it simple design - lines are far more appealing IMO. And this coming from someone who would take a EG over JL 9/10 times

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  4. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Almost bought these in a red (and I mean RED) but decided it would have been way too much for my line of work. They did have them in a medium brown that I almost walked out with.

HRoi: thought about it but for me, the Beaulieu is just more traditional. The lines of the Westcote and the 4 eyelets make it more modern looking whereas the Beaulieu are more classic (not to mention EG's burnishing).

Did you try going to the JP factory store? I'm wondering what the selection is like with the nice Ilcea leather shoes. :)

5. daniele6

daniele6 Senior member

The first pair is the Vale on the 8000 last.

6. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

How much was the red? If its a good price, is suggest throwing some black polish on it. Would look great. Wouldn't recommend it for the faint of heart though..

7. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

If I remember around $1K on sale. I thought about darkening it but it's made out of box calf which would probably take dye much better than polish. It was pretty red (like Ferrari red) so it would have been a lot of work. I also just picked up the AS Moores in cherry and that was pretty red already.

Still want a pair of Chapel in the Ilcea though... maybe at the factory store...

8. ElementHU

ElementHU Senior member

I've got a pair of Chapels due in at the end of this month in New Gold Museum...can't wait until they arrive.

9. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

8000 last might be my favorite

10. ElementHU

ElementHU Senior member

8000 is easily my favorite and fits me the best of all my shoes across the board...with the possible exception of my SC's. Oh, and after I posted my last response I happened to get an email from JL telling me my Chapels are early to arrive next week! It's awesome to have my first MTO show up early!

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  11. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

Can't comment on 8K yet... maybe if I picked up those Westcotes... maybe in a year or so I'll be singing a different tune.

12. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

i think youll love it. as element mentioned, 8000 last might be one of the best lasts of any of the shoe makers. its sleek yet very comfortable. some find it narrow but it helps that JL leathers are so soft and malleable

13. lhuynh

lhuynh Senior member

I bought the Woodcote in my size for ~$650. We'll see if I can handle how red they are. I thought they looked pretty sweet in photos, and the 8000 last fits me really well.

14. dddrees

dddrees Senior member

Very sharp.

That boot looks interesting.

15. Ilovelobbs

Ilovelobbs Senior member

16. Ilovelobbs

Ilovelobbs Senior member

The best looking but discontinued boots are the Brooklands and Ludlow

17. SuitedDx

SuitedDx Senior member

$650? Really? The Woodcotes that I saw where around $1K... Hopefully you'll like it. It's REALLY red, like candy apple red. Also, since it's box calf, it has a pretty shiny gloss. Just couldn't pull it off.

Put up some combos when you get them and maybe you'll change my mind!

18. JayJay

JayJay Senior member

Brooklands is my favorite. Gorgeous boot that I wish I'd purchased when it was available. May get it MTO some day.

19. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

Gyasih is selling his size 11 pair...

20. HRoi

HRoi Senior member

i did go, but i didn't pay close enough attention to notice if they had different leathers. there were quite a few museum/misty looking leathers. i have my eye on ordering a snuff suede (i think JL has a different name for this color) pair of Chapels that i saw there.

that plus burgundy Woodcotes will do me nicely, plus some EG gladstones from next door :nodding: